Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised third-party extensions (e.g. JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

This category may also contain a few topics relating to K 1.6 that may have been moved here possibly by mistake.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural differences between K 1.6 and K 1.7, the ideas in these topics may not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Question CB and Forum

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #1 by Ufa
Question CB and Forum was created by Ufa
Question please,

How to set that when someone try to register on forum, that he is registered with CB also?

Is it possible?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Question CB and Forum
Ufa wrote:

How to set that when someone try to register on forum, that he is registered with CB also?

Is it possible?

Thank you

I've read similar requests about this "problem" dozens of times and it's a long time for me to understand what the problem is. I mean, when I read questions about users trying to login or register "on the forum" what have we been talking about?

I believe we're discussing the links I've arrowed in the following screenshot:

In summary, there isn't a problem if you ensure that all new registrations are carried out using the CB registration procedure.

This hasn't been a problem for me because I've assumed (quite wrongly) that people wouldn't register as members on my site using those links! :blush: I haven't had to worry about keeping Community Builder user profile information up-to-date because I assumed that my users would register themselves in a different way, namely, with the CB registration form.

There's a bit of a problem, therefore, with the "Kunena login/registration" links: the assumption is that you're asking your users to use the standard Joomla login/registration functions.

If we follow the advice given by CB, we're supposed to
  1. Use CB Configuration Manager » Registration: set Allow User Registration = "yes, independently of global site setting"; and
  2. Use Global Configuration » System: set Allow User Registration = "no"
Unfortunately, if a user clicks the register link (as shown in the image above) they'll get a HTTP: 403 Forbidden error ... which isn't exactly very helpful! :ohmy:

So there needs to be another solution, one that removes the confusion and directs users to the Community Builder login and, particularly, to the registration procedure. I think the Login alteration discussion provides a few clues as to what needs to be done. I'm going to have a closer look at it to see whether the YOOlogin suggestion deals with the registration issues we've discussed here.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #3 by sozzled
This problem is so bound up with the question about the desirability of choosing Kunena profile data over Community Builder profile data that it isn't funnny! :( Indeed, the more I think about the discussions we've been having, the more I'm reconsidering my strategy of dependence on Community Builder for my website.

You have to ask yourself the question, why do I need Community Builder? What, essentially, does it provide that I can't get from something else? For me, the user registration process is better than anything else I've worked with but, as far as the Kunena forum goes, the CB user data it's practically useless! I wish I could be more supportive, but that's just the way I see it. In other respects, CB provides a fairly neat framework that ties together several components that I employ but, as these can be accessed as menu items anyway, CB isn't an essential requirement.

To answer the question, how to make sure that the CB user registration process is maintained reliably, you need to use the following settings: Kunena Configuration » Integration » Profile Settings = "Community Builder"

If you do this, the links I referred to in my earlier posting will work as intended: your users will use the CB login and registration procedures. However, the downside of this is that you prevent your users being able to change their Kunena profile settings in the forum. Therefore, to address that need, I used the following setting:

Unfortunately this disrupts the way users login and/or register "from the forum".

I don't really know how to give you a definitive, durable solution because, although everyone has different requirements, I'm wrestling with similar difficulties myself and becoming quite disillusioned with the lack of supportive help at Joomlapolis ... :S

If we had a way of configuring Kunena that allowed us to decouple the CB login and registration functions from the CB user profile, I think that would be a help.
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #4 by Nigel Aves
Replied by Nigel Aves on topic Re:Question CB and Forum
"You have to ask yourself the question, why do I need Community Builder?"

That's a good question! And one you need to answer! I actually looked at things the other way round. What I was looking for was a simple and easy way to have a Facebook / Myspace type "community" (connections between users, messaging) with the additional features of a forum as well.

Yes that really is me 52 or 53 years ago! I wonder in the parrots are still alive!

Now, what we must remember is that Kunena is at the start of it's life and not all the hooks are in place to get data from CB into the forum. A good example is that in the CB user profile you can set up your personal choice for viewing the forum and the footer text you want to use. It worked perfectly for Fireboard but now I seem to have lost the feature. But it will be back I have no doubt.

The key about using CB is (from a users perspective) it's easy to create a profile, you have full control, easy to change and it's a nice environment.

After playing around with the CSS in Kunena and CB it looks identical to the rest of the site (not quite a 100% but pretty close) and it acts seamlessly.

In short. It all boils down to what you need on the site. A Facebook type setting with a forum as an added benefit or just a Forum but with no interaction between users.
Attachments:

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #5 by Nigel Aves

If we follow the advice given by CB, we're supposed to

1. Use CB Configuration Manager » Registration: set Allow User Registration = "yes, independently of global site setting"; and
  2. Use Global Configuration » System: set Allow User Registration = "no"
Unfortunately, if a user clicks the register link (as shown in the image above) they'll get a HTTP: 403 Forbidden error ... which isn't exactly very helpful! :ohmy:

Forgot to mention. You also have to enable their cb.login module (you load it as a Joomla module - mod_cblogin.zip). Without that loaded you can run into strange issues I think the original poster to this thread was seeing. There might be one more thing but my CB manual is not handy.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #6 by sozzled
We could have a great discussion here, Nigel, and I know that there are several people who would love to be involved. The original question "how do I ensure my users are registered with CB when they use the link on the Kunena forum" certainly begs the question, "does it matter if they're not?" However, to remain on topic, we'd better deal with the specifics of "how to" and leave the issue of why for a different discussion. ;)

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #7 by Nigel Aves
I agree on that point, it would make a great discussion. If we can find a home for it and a group of interested parties, let's do it!

My personal belief is that a single entry point for login and registration is key and a single database of users a must. Especially if that data is going to be used by "other programs". As I said, it took effort but I now have web-site where all the bits play together and look the same. One thing that users want is consistancy.

Back on Topic.

I double checked and there are a couple of other steps you have to take.

You must add a menu entry (public) for the CB - User Profiles (Mandatory)
Also, you need to "disable" the built in Joomla login module.

One thing that must be remembered. CB are doing all of this without touching Joomla core components (important so core can be upgraded without effecting CB), so there are a couple of minor negatories.

I think you'll find that once the setup is correct then you'll have a common entry point no matter what program calls it. It's working for me.

Tip. Don't forget to turn of cache when setting things up!

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #8 by sozzled
I agree with you, Nigel, that having a consistent login and registration is what we're trying to achieve and that's probably what was the reason for Ufa asking the original question. I suppose we could have said, in hindsight, yes it's possible but it comes at a cost.

I have a similar problem: how can I have all references on my site point to the same Community Builder login and registration procedures and I haven't found a complete solution, either. I'd like you to have a look at a test site of mine: enduring.com.au/40P_demo

You will see that there's an access point for user login and registration on every page. The problem occurs when the user goes to the forum page. Kunena provides another, different access point!

The parameters used are:
  • Joomla
  • Global Configuration » System: Allow User Registration = "no"
  • Global Configuration » Cache Settings: Cache = "no"
  • Module Manager: mod_cblogin = enabled
  • Module Manager: mod_login = disabled
  • Plugin Manager: System - Cache = disabled
  • Menu Manager » User Menu: menu item created with type "Community Builder - User Profile (Mandatory!)" and public access
  • Commmunity Builder
    • Configuration Manager » Registration: Allow User Registration = "yes, independently of global site setting"
  • Kunena
    • Configuration » Integration » Profile Settings = "Kunena"
    The problem is this: when a user clicks the Register link on that page (see again the area we're discussing)

the system tries to run the standard Joomla user registration procedure (../component/user/?task=register) but because the Joomla Global configuration settings disallow it, the user gets a "403 - Access Forbidden!" error. If the Kunena configuration parameter Kunena Configuration » Integration » Profile Settings is set to "Community Builder", the Register link we've discussed points to the Community Builder registration procedure (../component/comprofiler/registers).

But, while we can change the behaviour of these links, we also affect the choice of what user profiles will be employed in the forum! And that, for me, is a more important issue! :dry:

More
    15 years 3 weeks ago #9 by Nigel Aves
    This should also be set to CB

# Kunena

* Configuration » Integration » Profile Settings = "Kunena" << change that to community builder

Clean the cache just in case.

here's my site. rational-alchemy.com

You'll see the same registration page from Kunena and CB ....

Can not stop long. But will be back later.

Nigel.

More
    15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #10 by sozzled
    I think the simplest answer to Ufa's question ( #10184 ) is disable the whole Kunena login "box" thing and use whatever else you've been using for your user to register and login with: see www.kunena.com/forum?func=view&catid=6&id=10368 for how to do it.

Off topic:

@Nigel: I see that you opted to use Community Builder profile settings with your forum, namely Kunena Configuration » Integration » Profile Settings = "Community Builder". Why? What does Community Builder give users that they can use in the forum? I observed, on your site, the user registration procedure allows your users to enter a "board signature". Have you been able to get that to work because we haven't - not easily, anyway. :unsure: In my view, the current version of Community Builder doesn't benefit users when they're interacting with the Kunena forum except that, yes, you can view a user's Community Builder profile.

Community Builder does not, at the moment, provide the ability to change a user's forum preferences and that, in my opinion, is more important. Consider this:

Depending on the setting you choose in the Kunena configuration, will affect the target of the highlighted tab and the means to set forum preferences. I think it's worth taking time to experiment.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds