Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question [SOLVED] Another menu item has the same alias in Root

More
12 years 9 months ago #31 by FlightRisk
I want to add my post to the list. I also have what appears to be the exact same issue. I installed a brand new Joomla 1.6.3, created a simple website, added a couple of extensions, then tried to install K 1.6.4 from May 7. I have never used Joomla before or created anything with it other than this very simple website. I got the error about something having the same name. Now I would just like to either fix it or delete it entirely. What exactly is the solution? If I completely uninstall, will the rest of what I have be ok, or is there some other corruption?

I tried to read one person's post, but it was the most rambling, self serving thing I've ever read. Off topic, blaming other plugins, thanking the academy, and at the end saying he wasn't going to post the answer because it was too "tricky"!

Others here seemed to have taken some simpler solution. Uninstall and re-install of K or J!? It seems I have the latest version of both programs, so I'm not sure what to do. It would seem that unless I have a truly bad plugin, and again, this is a brand new install with very few plugins and a brand new test website with only a few simple pages, there is something wrong with the error checking in the install of 1.6.4. I have never used Joomla until I just now installed all this and it didn't work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #32 by illovo
I installed J1.7, some so called popular extensions, tried to install the current kunena marked as J17-compliant. Installation failed with above mentioned error message.

Deinstalled kunena, deleted all tables in DB, deleted all entries inside database that mention somehow kunena. Tried it again. Identical error.

So, because it's "just" an alias called "forum" that collides be aware that you never can install kunena without this error message whenever you have created a menu item called "forum". Rename (just the alias) first!

Other menu aliases used by kunena are:
"forum"
"help"
"recent"
"index"
"mylatest"
"newtopic"
"noreplies"
"profile"
"rules"
"search"

I dont't know if they can collide in other situations too.So keep it in mind, kunene installers.

Telling the people that this error is an issue of badly programmed other extensions, when Kunena uses a popular alias like "forum", expecting that a Joomlaadmin hasn't already ussed it=>Sorry, as a developper I'm somehow confused....

But I like Kunena and so I searched 2 hours for a solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
12 years 1 month ago #33 by AnnetteNugent
Replied by AnnetteNugent on topic Menu Error
Hi
I know there is lots on the forum for this
but it does not cover my issue

I have removed and installed kunena,
Renamed or deleted any menu items named forum
but I still cannot create a new menu in kunena forum => Create Menu

this is the error I get

500 - An error has occurred.

Another menu item has the same alias in Root. Root is the top level parent

The only thing I think, that might affect it is the fact that I had previously installed an extension Discussions by codingfish. I removed this before i installed kunena.

The site is ldnconnection.com
Running joomla 2.5

Could someone please help?

thanks
Annette

More
12 years 1 month ago #34 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

G'day, Annette, and welcome to Kunena.

I understand and sympathise with your situation. The changes brought about with the Joomla menuing system - starting with J! 1.6 (and J! 1.7 or J! 2.5 have not essentially changed things much) - have made it very difficult to implement Kunena in a one-size-fits-all installation package. Having written that, if you understand how the Joomla menu system works (and, I'm sorry to say, the Joomla menu system is one of the least understood parts of Joomla for just about everyone) then you can fix this problem fairly easily.

This topic contains many tips - advice from other members of the community - that may help you.

You have another menu item with an alias that conflicts with whatever you want to use for Kunena.

More
12 years 1 month ago #35 by AnnetteNugent
Hi

Thanks for the pointer
I still don't see clearly what I should do
I will need help, I am a novice.
and need it spelled out in black & white.

I get that somehow, you have to go into the sql to remove any mention of forum?
I have contacted cloudaccess.net to see if its possible for them to do this
but they say it is a third party issue.

I can PM my details if you could help?

many thanks

thanks
Annette

More
12 years 1 month ago #36 by AnnetteNugent
Oh also,
I know now for again if incorporating a forum into my site
to start with Kunena before developing the rest of the site.
In this case, the client was not going to run with a forum,
but decided to later.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Anyway, I suppose, I need to know
Is it going to be possible to salvage my kunena forum
Or will I need to look for another solution?

Thanks again for your time & help

More
12 years 1 month ago #37 by sozzled
Resolved AnnetteNugent's problem. Trashed menu items needed to be deleted. See "trash-burn-build" technique described in How do I restore my Kunena menu?

More
12 years 1 month ago #38 by AnnetteNugent
BIG BIG Thank You to Sozzled for Superb Help and Advice

Details were there... I just wasn't ofey with the lingo
Trash Burn = Trash the Trash.
So delete items from the trash in Menu Manager.

This new knowledge also came in handy this afternoon,
When an issue arose, which if Sozzled hadn't blessed me with his time this morning,
I would have spent a long time going around in circles, I'm sure.

I have a lot to learn.

thank you again.

sozzled wrote: Resolved AnnetteNugent's problem. Trashed menu items needed to be deleted. See "trash-burn-build" technique described in How do I restore my Kunena menu?

More
12 years 1 month ago #39 by sozzled
Yeah ... au fait with the "lingo", even :lol:

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds