Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Kunena 1.6.2 and IE 8 problem

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #1 by Bakual
Hi, I discovered a problem after upgrading from Kunena 1.6.1 to 1.6.2.
You can have a look at the forum here: www.sermonspeaker.net/forum.html to see what I mean.

I use the default "Blue Eagle" without any modifications yet. In Firefox it looks right but in IE the headers (Forums, Who is online, Statistics) are just black background instead of blue.
Entering colors in the template parameters does change it for Firefox, but not for IE.

It was working with Kunena 1.6.1.

Also the problem seems to be related as well to the template I use (icons-004 from www.i-cons.ch ). This is a modified Aristeer template as far as I understand it.
The default Joomla templates (Beez, Milkway) are working.

So the bug is caused by the combination of my template and the latest upgrade to Kunena.
Any hints where I could start searching? :unsure:
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Bakual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
I see the issue. I understand the problem. If I were in your shoes I would ask myself the question, "If I'm doing something different to what the guys at www.kunena.org are doing - because I don't see the problem there - why should I do things the way that I'm trying to do them?"

Kunena has been tested with many different templates, using a variety of web browsers. The K 1.6 project was held up for an extra 2 months because of the special difficulties associated in untangling IE 7 issues - let's not mention the special considerations necessary for IE 8 issues! Internet Explorer is different and that's the only thing we all can happily agree upon. But the differences are not just that it doesn't behave the same way as Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari; the problems are that IE 7 doesn't behave the same way as IE 8 which doesn't behave the same way as IE9. Basically, this means that Internet Explorer puts us web designer/developers constantly behind the eight-ball.

You have my sympathy but, because I'm not an expert in catering to the vagaries of IE's CSS support, I don't have the answers for you. Perhaps someone else knows what to do?
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #3 by 810
Hi,
you must remove:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">
On your template html.
But test it,

Regards 810
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakual

More
13 years 3 months ago #4 by snilloconator
I would recommend a more stable free template or even the base templates that come with joomla.

More
13 years 3 months ago #5 by Bakual

810 wrote: Hi,
you must remove:

Code:
On your template html.
But test it,

Regards 810

Thanks a ton! That did it.
It even seems to have fixed another minor issue I had with the page :)

I wasn't even aware that you can force the compatibilty mode in IE. Crazy stuff.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6 by Bakual

snilloconator wrote: I would recommend a more stable free template or even the base templates that come with joomla.

Actually I quite like this template due to the simpleness and possibility of customizing.
I didn't find a similar free template so far :)

What do you mean with "more stable"? I didn't have issues so far besides this one.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #7 by sozzled
Perhaps "stable" isn't necessarily the most appropriate adjective. The issues in this topic relate to the use of a template that forces the Internet Explorer 8 web browser to use "compatibility mode". In other words, the site template forces a kind of "software lobotomy" on Internet Explorer.

Let us be very clear on one thing. K 1.6 is the last version of Kunena that will provide any kind of support for IE 7.

Perhaps "stable" isn't the most appropriate adjective. How about "browser-independent" or "future-proofed" instead? B)
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #8 by Bakual
Removing the compatibility mode tag solved the issue and didn't raise any other problems. So I guess there was no real reason for it to be there in the first place ;)

I fully understand and agree with you in canceling the support for IE7. I'm doing the same in my own component. It's hard enough to make it work in FF, Chrome and IE8 alone :)

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #9 by AndreB

810 wrote: Hi,
you must remove:

Code:
On your template html.
But test it,

Regards 810

Hey,

I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone.

I have the same problem as Bakual had and I hope that removing that quoted line will help. But I can't find it, I dont have a "template.html". Where is it filed?

I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance!

Andre
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by AndreB.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10 by 810
Whats your url. Then i will check where you must edit it.

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds