Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged [Merged topic] Full screen wide forum

More
12 years 2 months ago #1 by couchie
I know I will probably get a few flames pointing me to Joomla.org, but I am hoping someone else on here has had the same issue and has an answer. I've tried Joomla.org and had -zero- replies! :(

I was able to do what I am wanting to do in Joomla 1.5 however for the life of me can not figure this out in 1.7.

In 1.5, when a user chooses to go to the forums, the menus which I had displayed on the left side of the template would no longer be displayed and the forums would not only be in the 'main' part of the site, but also take the menu's position as well. I have figured out how to turn the menus 'off' and not be diplayed, but have no idea how to make the forum take over the 'position-7' the menus were in and stay in the 'main' part of the site.

I'm holding a fire extinguisher!

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Full screen forum....
G'day, couchie, and welcome to Kunena.

I would ask you to look at the category description that appears at the top of this page, in particular, the reference to the article My Joomla template is making a mess of Kunena .

We often receive questions about how to make the forum wider, or full width across the web page, on users' websites. These questions have always been answered, to the best of our ability but I would remind everyone that it is not the primary function of this forum to provide a free service to resolve every question asked about how to make the most effective use of screen real estate based on the choices that users have made. Clearly, there are good choices that people can make and there are not-so-good choices, too. If there were not a few hundred thousand such choices then most of the template design industry would be quickly put out of business.

However, when we are asked these questions, in general terms like you have asked, it is virtually impossible to prescribe a one-size-fits-all solution to resolve your problems if we know nothing about your website. I am not trying to fuel any fire here, or (if you forgive my choice of words) to dampen your enthusiasm, either, but I would ask you to carefully reflect on how you have asked your question and understand the limitation of our ability to help you in your particular circumstances. :)
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: couchie

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #3 by couchie
Replied by couchie on topic Re: Full screen forum....
Being in the tech support field myself, I can understand the frustration of getting the same question over and over again and my no means did I mean to spark that debate. My post was merely to appeal to those who may already be using Joomla 1.7 with Kunena.

To clarify what I am attempting to do, I'll include the link to my site:

madisonvilleflightleague.com (Note the lack of www as this is a site under construction)

For those that are using Joomla 1.7, please note the menu on the left side of the screen. Notice if you click on the 'MFL Forums' tab, the menu goes away and the forum fills the 'left' side of the screen.

I know in Joomla 1.5, there was some way to make the Kunena occupy the space where the menu was as well as where the forum is currently. I've no idea how to do this in 1.7.

Should there be a 1.7 user out there that has run into this and figured out the puzzle, I'd be curious to know how you did it.

Thanks,
Bob
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled. Reason: Make URL address clickable

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Full screen forum....

couchie wrote: Notice if you click on the 'MFL Forums' tab, the menu goes away and the forum fills the 'left' side of the screen.

That wasn't my experience using Firefox.

What this picture seems to suggest is that the component display is slightly off-centre.

When you write that the "menu goes away", are you talking about the Joomla menu on the home page of your site? That "problem" is a menu assignment issue. The problem is made worse if the Joomla template does not have collapsible module positions. It would appear that your Joomla template does not have collapsible module positions.

Either you should publish the menu on all the Kunena pages, or you should find a Joomla site template that supports collapsible module positions.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #5 by couchie
Replied by couchie on topic Re: Full screen forum....

What this picture seems to suggest is that the component display is slightly off-centre.

Interesting idea in using firefox. Not sure why I haven't used it yet to test. I have been using Chrome and Explorer.

When you write that the "menu goes away", are you talking about the Joomla menu on the home page of your site? That "problem" is a menu assignment issue. The problem is made worse if the Joomla template does not have collapsible module positions. It would appear that your Joomla template does not have collapsible module positions.

In "menu goes away" I was trying to keep it simple. I have the left side menus 'turned off' for the Kunena forums in an attempt to maximize space for the forums. I think you hit the nail on the head for me in the collapsible module positions. I will take that and run with it. Sometimes I need that little spark that I can't find and then the brain kicks in again. I will tinker with my template a bit more and should I find a resolution, I'll post it with the fine details should someone come by later with the same issue.

The those who contribute to this outstanding project, a large and overwhelming 'thank you!' is in order.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #6 by Capewell
Hello,
I am new here and this is my first post.
I have a basic knowledge of J!2.5 and Kunena 1.7.2

My question is simple really, I want to be able to display the forum at full width - i.e. not displaying any side menus.

I have attached an image and its the menu on the left with the red box around it that I want to remove with users select the Forum from our top menu.

Thanks - in advance.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Capewell.

More
12 years 1 month ago #7 by CheechDogg
Remove the mod from the menu manger. You can select what menu items and pages each mod will appear on from there.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3

More
11 years 11 months ago #8 by Tillman
Hello,

I've read a lot of threads about the peoples forum size being off, and how to fix it etc. From what I read, it seems as if the CSS on Kunena use width: 100%; etc. So, no matter the size of the webpage, it should fit.

Well, mine fit just fine. But, I've since then tweaked some of the sizes in my templates .css file, assuming this should be okay, because what I've read/been told is that Kunena uses percentages.

All I did was change the width of my webpage from 960px to 1160px and the forums width didn't scale with that.

What can I do to fix this? I want to avoid editing the .css on Kunena, because from the way that it looks to be setup, if I simply change the value for the width of the forums to a static px width, that everything else will be out of place.

Long story short - the forums are set to scale 100% of the page, but if the page size changes after the install, it doesn't seem to respect those changes.

website - reforgedgaming.net

Thanks!

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #9 by sozzled
*** Topic moved ***

G'day, Tillman, and welcome to Kunena.

The problem, as I see it, is that your Joomla site template does not support collapsible module positions. Therefore you have space "reserved" on the right side of your template even though you have not assigned any modules to that position. That's something you really should discuss with the people who designed the Joomla site template that you've chosen, especially if you paid for it!

Please read My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena

Alternatively, you could edit the file ../templates/maxgaming-tg/css/styles.css at around line 131:

#centercontent_bg {
float: left;
margin: 0 5px;
overflow: hidden;
padding: 0;
width: auto;
}
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #10 by Tillman
Thanks for the reply,

It wasn't a module position, as I was writing my last reply though, I realized something. When the forum auto added itself to my webpage, it put itself in a different DIV then the rest of my page content, I had to edit that div, hoping that it doesn't mess something else up.

Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Tillman.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds