Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Merged Multiple forums on one Joomla

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by Oscar2
I have a multilingual website (4 languages) and I would like to have a forum for every language. Since it is probably hard to have 4 separate kunena installs on one Joomla install I thought it be smart to create one forum with the languages as main categories. This way in each language version the menu could link to the direct main category of that language.

The problem with this is that the subcategories are now one level down and are displayed as child boards, which is much less clear than the normal display of sub-categories.

So what I have now is this:

And I would like to display it as this:

Is this possible? Or is there another way to have a forum per language?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by fxstein
Yes it can be done with Kunena 1.6

Here is an example of a new site that uses 1.6 for multiple forums inside a single website:
www.getransportation.com/

The "trick" is to create a menu structure that represents the setup you like. Joomla menu's can be a bit tricky and I recommend to read up on the Joomla menu system first.

Then create the menu structure of your choice with links into specific categories, any sub categories, will become main categories inside of that link.

Hope this helps!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar2

More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by Oscar2
Is there some text that describes how to do this? I know the basics, but I have no idea how to do this and I searched extensibely on google for info on how to do this.

If I understand you correctly I proceed with a forum structure like this:

> Forum
> English
Bonsai care
- Watering
- Help
Bonsai training
- Pruning
- Wiring
> Dutch
Bonsai care
- Watering
- Help
Bonsai training
- Pruning
- Wiring

.. etc

And somehow link to it from the normal joomla menu's to make "English" and "Dutch" main forum pages, instead of categories under "Forum"?

Thanks for any help you can give, I really hope to get this on my forum!

More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by fxstein
Let me give you the example how our Playground forum has been setup here on Kunena.org:

First the overall menu structure in your main menu:

Then the main menu entry:

(See how it defaults to a specific submenu item)

Then the category specific menu item. When you select a category specific menu item, It will ask you for the category - in this case it is Playground:

Hope this helps!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
Attachments:

More
13 years 5 months ago #5 by Oscar2
I feel really bad but even after all the effort you went through I didnt get it to work.

So what I understand is that:
To have a sub-category to act like it is the main forum page, I create a second "forum menu" in my websites main menu? I tried doing exactly what you did on the screenshots, but somehow I get lost. I pretended the "Care" category to be the main page for the dutch forum, so that the subcategory "Help!" would be the main category instead of a childpage.

Im not sure if its possible/permittable, but Id happily give you my login details to see what I do wrong if that saves you the effort of trying to make me understand this..?

More
13 years 5 months ago #6 by Oscar2
Or explain me how I can do it in (even) more detail; I really hope I can solve this with your help :blink:

More
13 years 5 months ago #7 by Oscar2
I tried and tried but didnt succeed. I found an old forum post with a link to
docs.kunena.com/index.php/Customised_menus

But this link doesnt work. Is there anyone who can try explain it to me in the most dummy-friendly way? :)

Thanks!

More
13 years 5 months ago #8 by John
I tried too...but can't get it to work either :blush:

More
13 years 5 months ago #9 by Oscar2
Fxstein, I really hope you can try to explain it to us, or maybe tell us where we can find more info on how to achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated :laugh:

More
13 years 5 months ago #10 by Oscar2
I can see how you make up the Main menu, no problem there.
What I dont get is this: when I want to link the category "Dutch forum" from the "entrypage" I have to choose the "Default Menu Item". However, in this list I cant find a link to the dutch forum category.

I tried putting the dutch forum category (as a list category) in the kunena menu, so I could link to it from the Main menu. But with the list-cat I cannot select a category, only subcategories.

Difficult to explain, sorry for that. Hope someone can explain in some steps on how I can have a category as entry page, so the childforums in the design become categories.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.633 seconds