Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Posting guide:

For a quick response, please give us as much information that helps us to understand the problem.
Please read first What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?
This category is for:
  • Kunena 1.7 product-related issues only; and
  • when your Kunena forum does not work.
Do not use this category:
  • to request adding to or removing from the standard features of Kunena;
  • if your question is of a commonly asked "how to" nature;
  • if you are not using the latest stable release of Kunena; or
  • ▪ general Joomla or website adminstration matters
General hints: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way .
Please read the guides posted as sticky topics in this category.
Also refer to the FAQs menu tab above for frequently asked questions.

Note: Support for, and all questions relating to, K 1.7 will cease on 31 August 2012. Our advice is, if you are having problems with K 1.7, to upgrade to K 2.x as soon as practicable,

Important Not receiving any emails from Kunena

More
11 years 10 months ago #1 by proteininja
Hello, I am currently setting up a website for a Department of Transportation software project, and state law requires that any communications be documented. The powers that be decided that the best way to do this would be to forward all posts to an email address in our system (since all of our emails are tracked and archived).

I have configured Kunena to the best of my abilities to meet this goal, but I don't receive a single email. Not post notifications to moderators or emails to subscribed users. Please help me diagnose and fix this problem as quickly as possible as I am on a tight deadline.

My website is hosted on godaddy and uses Joomla 2.5 for its CMS. I have the most recent version of Kunena installed.

Kunena Configuration:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 32M | Max file upload: 2M

Kunena menu details:
Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : rt_gantry | author: RocketTheme, LLC | version: 3.2.17 | creationdate: March 5, 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.2 | creationdate: 2012-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled | Kunena Search 1.7.2 | Kunena Discuss 1.7.2

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.2

Joomla Mail Settings:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Maybe this is an issue with GoDaddy? Have you tried with a different webhost?

These are would be fairly typical Global Configuration settings you might try:

Try setting your mail this way instead:

Mailer: PHP Mailer
Mail from: no change
From Name: SunGuideSoftware
Sendmail Path: no change
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP Security: no change
SMTP Port: no change
SMTP Username: --leave blank--
SMTP Password: --leave blank--
SMTP Host: localhost

If you enter a SMTP host name (different from localhost) then you will need to enter a username and password to connect to the mail server.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 10 months ago #3 by proteininja
I made your suggested changes to my Joomla mail settings, posted in a topic in a category of which I am the moderator, and did not receive an email. In short, no change.

As far as this being a godaddy.com issue I create that email using one of the forwarding address packages that come with the purchase of a domain name from them. I tested the address from my gmail and sending mail to it properly forwards it to my work email. So, I at least know the email address works under normal circumstances.

Do you know how to force Joomla to send an email to that email address? This could narrow down the location of the failure.

Thank you for your assistance thus far.

More
11 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
My suggeston to you is to do the following:

(1) Reset all Forum Configuration settings to their original default values.

(2) Subscribe to a topic.

(3) With a test user account (not the account that you used when you subscribed) post a message in that topic.

(4) Verify that you received an email notification about the new message posted. If this works, please reply.

No, I do not know how to "force Joomla to send an email to a specific address" - I'm just an ordinary user, mate. :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #5 by proteininja
I followed your instructions exactly. No dice.

I did send a few emails using projectfork, another Joomla component, that at least shows that emails can be sent from some of my Joomla components.

I know at this point the issue is completely dumbfounding, but if you can think of anything that could be causing the issue it would be helpful.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #6 by sozzled
We're caught between a rock and a hard place with this one.

On the one hand K 1.7.2 is at end-of-life and the development team are 100% engaged in making K 2.0.0 ready for public release. As far as K 2.0 is concerned, I am aware that there have been substantial changes made in the area of emailing from Kunena. Don't ask me about the specifics of those changes; email has always been somewhat mystifying to me and, in my case, I just "follow the instructions" ... :lol:

On the other hand, we can't exclude the fact that for one-in-a-thousand people who write into this forum every day, people have problems with Kunena generating emails in situations that warrant it. I am aware, too, that some of these cases have been resolved successfully by users moving their operations to a different hosting company. (Let's not beat around the bush: whenever someone mentions either GoDaddy or "$10-a-year hosting service" at a technical gathering, most people will give you that "knowing smile" because of all the horror stories we've heard. In short: you get what you pay for and serious professionals steer clear of $10-a-year hosting services.)

Therefore we're left with the question of what to do next? :unsure:

From what you wrote (after you've done all that I asked you to do), it's a reasonable conclusion that K 1.7.2 and your current Joomla configuration or hosting service will not work.

Your original question - can you generate email each time a new message is posted on your forum - is solvable with Kunena; I know this for a fact from experience and from the feedback I've read in this forum.

This leaves you with four options:

(1) Try the "if all else fails" approach; see When all else fails, try this .

(2) Evaluate K 2.0.0 to see if this may resolve your current problem.

(3) Switch to a different web-hosting provider.

(4) Abandon Kunena (and possibly Joomla) and try something else.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #7 by proteininja
I find the tone and phrasing in your 3rd paragraph grey text entirely insulting.

Also, the fact that you still blame the host after I have said that emails from other Joomla components are working through the godaddy email address seems lazy and conjectural.

Some random GoDaddy configuration option may indeed be causing issues, but there has not been nearly enough evidence to prove it.

I did everything you asked in the hopes that it was laying a baseline from which you could help me eliminate possibilities until the true cause revealed itself.

Now, I know that because you are an experienced user and poster on the support forum that you may yet have insight to give without realizing it. Please consider the evidence presented and help me think of more tests to run to find the culprit. If you decide to stand by your previous post, then please tell me where I might find deeper technical assistance for my problems.

Also, if anyone else is reading this and has experienced similar issues please don't hesitate to chime in.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by proteininja.

More
11 years 10 months ago #8 by Matias
In your case I would recommend you to use Kunena 2.0 as we have improved emailing a lot in there. Even in RC1 it is roughly as stable as Kunena 1.7.2 -- additionally it fixes a lot of issues and improves usability.

Kunena doesn't offer the feature to email everything into one email address out of the box, but that can easily be fixed with a 2-3 hour custom job that can be included into Kunena 2.0. Please find my contact information from our team page .

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds