Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Move K1.7 from J1.5.23 to J.1.7

More
12 years 7 months ago #11 by Matias
There's extension called JUpgrade that's supposed to move Kunena and all its data into Joomla 1.7, but latest version (1.2.1) of it has a bug that causes it to ignore Kunena. I've already contacted the author and provided him a few fixes, but the new version isn't out yet.

In the mean time I suggest that you downgrade back to K1.6.5 and use JUpgrade after that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #12 by DJ
Thank you to all. I must add this--I used SPUpgrade even though my work is all volunteer and I am so very thankful I did. I did need to do a substantial amount of work, but most things were right where they were supposed to be and it even (in this case) upgraded the template with one miner problem. etkritikonspoudon, please post how you make out if you do it--I am almost done the one site with the exception of Kunena and JQuarks and then we'll be ready to move it to replace the current site. Thanks again, Everybody! DJ

More
12 years 7 months ago #13 by etkritikonspoudon

DJ wrote: Thank you to all. I must add this--I used SPUpgrade even though my work is all volunteer and I am so very thankful I did. I did need to do a substantial amount of work, but most things were right where they were supposed to be and it even (in this case) upgraded the template with one miner problem. etkritikonspoudon, please post how you make out if you do it--I am almost done the one site with the exception of Kunena and JQuarks and then we'll be ready to move it to replace the current site. Thanks again, Everybody! DJ

It's good to hear an encouraging case. I am also volunteering for the work and had my doubts about both paying for a migration extension and for taking the step sooner - in the coming months maybe Jupgrade will be made to keep the same ids as well or the process overall might become much easier? I don't know

Maybe you could answer a couple of questions about the extension?

- Does it copy all the data in the folders inside the older Joomla installation? If not, what does it include/leave out?
- What does it leave to be desired? What was difficult about completing the migration?

Cheers

More
12 years 7 months ago #14 by Matias
I would be very caution with any component that migrates into J! 1.7 as there are many small details that can go wrong. JUpgrade also does very good job on migrating data and seems to work out of the box, but I've noticed that you can get some issues later because all data isn't 100% the same as it would be if you created a new site by installing J! 1.7. And those small details can be fatal later, when you try to upgrade Joomla.

The code that imports Kunena into J! 1.7.0 can be found from Kunena itself. It's located in administrator/components/com_kunena/install/j16upgrade.php and xml files.

Instead of paying one person from the migration I recommend everyone to work together by testing and fixing bugs together. Most of the bugs in JUpgrade are very easy to fix - if someone would just report them.

More
12 years 7 months ago #15 by Matias
What comes to Kunena migration, everything inside Kunena will get migrated. What comes to other extensions: someone needs to add support for those. Adding support to most components is very easy: you just need to say what to copy over... This can be done either in the extension itself or in JUpgrade.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #16 by woonydanny
I have run jupgrade but it always 'hangs' when it gets to 3rd party upgrading. I was thinking it is because I have a very large kunena forum.

I have written on jupgrade forum with no response. I am running k1.7 on my j1.5.23 site so I think I can just copy out the database tables and import in my new j1.7 site

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by woonydanny.

More
12 years 7 months ago #17 by xillibit
I think your are imported Joomla! data with jUpgrade, so you can import Kunena tables to your new site and launch Kunena 1.7.0 installation.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 7 months ago #18 by woonydanny
Sorry, to confirm, i run jUpgrade and select to not migrate 3rd party extensions. Then once that is done, export with phpmyadmin the kunena (K1.7) database tables from the J1.5.23 site and then import them into the new J1.7 site's database.. is this the correct method?

Would be good if jupgrade just did it all for me, but v1.2.1 just never finishes for me. Always just 'hangs/freezes' on the 3rd party upgrading phase.

thanks

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
12 years 7 months ago #19 by machadoug
@matias,

jUpgrade moves all Kunena files to Joomla 1.7, however it does not move the database and does not create the Admin Component Menu item.

Joomla 1.5 Settings:
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 2M

Joomla default template details : ja_purity_ii | author: JoomlArt.com | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: 9/15/09

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.0 | creationdate: 2011-08-29

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.0 | Build: 5135 | Version name: Tale | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

PS: MooTools upgrade was enabled at the time of the upgrade;

Thanks in advance for your help,

More
12 years 7 months ago #20 by etkritikonspoudon

etkritikonspoudon wrote: I am itching to update to joomla 1.7 from J1.5.23 and I have looked into the migration options.
One thing that seems crucial is to maintain the same ids. It seem JUpgrade does not do so...I have come across another extension, called SP Upgrade which claims to do exactly that and it's reviews are stellar...unfortunately, though, it is commercial...but it may be the way for me to go...

Using that extension what you need to do is
- Make a clean J1.7 installation
- install the extension SP Upgrade, configure it and run it
- Clean install all your extensions, compatible version for J1.7
- Test, test, test.
- Then I guess copy old site to subfolder, and copy j17 site to root

Regarding the database for Kunena, seems like what -logically needs to be done is:
- export kunena database entries from old site
- Install Kunena on new site
- Drop the newly created database entries for Kunena
- Import the database entries from previous site.

I confirm that the above mentioned process works perfectly...I had set the same database prefix for both databases, so I didn't have to mess around more when doing the importing from the old database.

Also, I copied all extra data from the folders
/media/kunena
/components/com_kunena
which contain from attachments, to customized templates etc...
Everything is working as before in the new J17 Kunena installation...

The one display problem is present in both the new default template and the custom one, built in Kunena 1.6.4...
...maybe it's a Joomla 1.7 problem?

Also I noticed this difference between Kunena 1.7.0 in Joomla 1.5.23 and Joomla 1.7.0

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds