Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Joomla/Kunena menu issues?

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #1 by Phoenix
Hello,
I am brand new at this and learning a whole new foreign language so please be gentle :)

I installed Joomla 1.5.22 no problems with the test data to learn. Everything went well and no issues. All menus in test pages worked fine.

Was confident enough to install Kunena 1.6 using the Joomla install from the downloaded zip on my desktop. Everything seemed to go well and no errors.

I noticed that the install had added a new menu item to my main menu called "Forum" ... great exactly what I wanted.

My forum is accessible through www.mydomain.com/forum

If I click on the forum link though it goes to www.mydomain.com/index.php/forum and I get a strange page with lots of live links for all the Joomla menu items but no forum. If I click on any of these links then it takes me to a similar page with a second "index" subdirectory added. Then a third for another click etc.

It is doing this with all the menu items that were working well before the Kunena install.

How do I fix this?

Here are my settings

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 600 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 200M

Joomla default template details : rhuk_milkyway | author: Andy Miller | version: 1.0.2 | creationdate: 11/20/06

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.2 | creationdate: 2010-12-29

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.2 | Build: 3894 | Version name: Team | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

PS: edited the report to delete domain name and personal email that was included in the report
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Phoenix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by Phoenix
Well I ended up uninstalling both Kunena and Joomla and then re-installing Joomla with a clean install with demo files (that's all I have on my server). I then changed a single SEO setting (SEF URL's) and the problem reoccurred ... so clearly it is not a "Kunena" issue. Have posted in the Joomla forum for some "simple" help.

More
13 years 2 months ago #3 by xillibit
Hello,

Do you have tried to re-create kunena menu ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by Phoenix
I haven't reinstalled Kunena yet but I will post here when I do (after fixing my Joomla issue) to confirm it is working.

More
13 years 2 months ago #5 by Phoenix
I ended up opening up a ticket with my host as I was getting so many conflicting suggestions from different tutorials and forums that I thought maybe others he hosted had already come across these issues and fixed them.
What he did was to change var $sef_rewrite = '0'; to var $sef_rewrite = '1'; and then he removed the live_site variable completely. This was a solution that wasn't mentioned in any of my reading so I thought I would share what he did.
Everything In Joomla seemed to work so I once again installed Kunena and everything is now working as it's supposed to at least for the moment.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
G'day, Phoenix, and welcome to Kunena.

Yours is a common experience for newcomers to Joomla. Many people do not fully appreciate that, although Joomla allows (and facilitates) search engine-friendly URLs, you have to do a little extra work to get these things to operate the way that you want them to. The Apache mod_rewrite function is one of those things.

Because we receive questions on this topic so many times, I created an article in the Wiki to help. See Search Engine Optimization (SEO) . :)

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #7 by Phoenix
I sure appreciate the approach you took with this tutorial ... especially the "branches" that can be followed if something in it is unfamiliar. I wish more people would take this approach as it helps a great deal for people like myself with the capacity to learn but no real way to judge "conflicting advice" for themselves without a larger frame of reference. Your article makes gaining that frame of reference much easier because it focuses on "probabilities" rather than "absolutes" and gives good sources for doing further research into conflicting opinions.

Thank you for writing it and I will certainly explore it and the links it leads to further as I move upwards in my own "learning curve".

I have a thread in in the Joomla forum where I posted about my issue after I realized it was not about Kunena which also talks about some of the challenges faces by people in my situation.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=544&t=587463

Thank you again for all the help you (and many others) provide in this and other related forums.

Phoenix

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled
Thank you for the reference to your discussion topic at forum.joomla.org and thank you, also, for your kind remarks about the help that we try to give to the community. I appreciate and I do try to understand how overwhelming to new users some of these issues must appear when they are are commonplace to those of us who have been doing this stuff for a while. Sometimes, though, our understanding is not always that good and we occasionally need to be reminded if we've missed something important.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #9 by Phoenix
Another example just happened to me along the same lines (and since this has been moved to off topic I may as well add it).

I was just writing my first article for my new website and because it was partly a copy and paste from an email I had sent ... the formatting was all wrong. I couldn't see inside the Joomla editor where I could change the font or colour formatting of paragraphs or words

I did a search for this (using several search words and phrases) and most of the top results came up with information about changing stylesheets and CSS which didn't seem appropriate for this simple task. Finally I came across a link to an article about adding the extended capabilities to the Joomla editor. Now this was after I had already started to read about CSS based on the idea that this was where my solution existed and had experienced that "sinking feeling" that it would probably take many hours to understand something that made even a simple article possible. It's amazing that this link didn't come up much higher in the google search results where the top results all talked about CSS. One of the top links on google even stated that the way to do this would be to add an extension which of course if it was really true would lead to more research on "which one" is best.

Now I know that I need to learn about stylesheets and CSS but it was such a relief that I had a simple solution to a simple problem (writing an article and playing with its placement) and could learn the rest a little later.

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds