Kunena 7.0.9 & Kunena 6.4.14 – Security Updates Released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 7.0.9 [K 7.0.9] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 5.4.x/6.0.x./6.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 / K 6.3 / K 6.4 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 7.0

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Loved how to show selected categories of forum

More
16 years 3 months ago #51010 by rimple
Sir I m using com_kunena_v1.5.9_stable_b1869_2010-01-23.zip, Ja_purity , joomla 1.5.18, WAMP, on my local machine.
My sir has said me to accomplish the task first on local machine then onlu to upload on server, plze sir try to contact with other members if they can help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #51011 by sozzled
1. Please use K 1.5.12 because it fixed the deprecated PHP matters. WAMP is not a truly reliable way to develop websites. WAMP can help but it sometimes it is misleading. I recommend that you set up a development or test site on the server you will be using in production.

2. I don't think you can create a menu link, in Joomla, that will point your users to "all categories of my Kunena forum except for one category." I assume this is what you want to do. I am sorry that I do not have an answer, but maybe someone else can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #51013 by Cerberus
sozzled wrote:

1. Please use K 1.5.12 because it fixed the deprecated PHP matters. WAMP is not a truly reliable way to develop websites. WAMP can help but it sometimes it is misleading. I recommend that you set up a development or test site on the server you will be using in production.


wamp/xamp and alike are useless for testing advance php sites they cause more issues than they are worth i agree with sozzled create a TEST section on your production server using seperate location ( yourdomain/test/ ) and a seperate database ( test.db ) under phpmyadmin, and then try and test your new setup.

2. I don't think you can create a menu link, in Joomla, that will point your users to "all categories of my Kunena forum except for one category." I assume this is what you want to do. I am sorry that I do not have an answer, but maybe someone else can help.


correct this is NOT possible with just a menu link you would have to HACK the kunena catlist and create a version that did not show the announcements catagory, even then im not sure if it would work as you still use that catagory from another link.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #51014 by rimple
Hi Cerberus,
A very good evening(Acc. to Indian Standard Time),well can u let me 9 that what other forum component i can use with kunena, so that i can have link to both of my menus i.e, let announcements menu will reffer to all categories shown into "kunena"
& massage board menu will reffer to "fireboard"

but i 9 that we cant use fireboard and kunena altogether into 1 joomla website, but can u recommend me to use any other component which can be used along with "kunena"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #51015 by Cerberus
There is NO solution for what you are trying to do currentlky with ANY forum component that i have come accross unless exstensive work is done to the code of that forum to make ths behaviour happen and to be very honest this would be way to much work than it is worth in my opinion BUT maybe if you pay a freelancer they could do it for you, you wont however find anyone here that will do this kind of HACK for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago - 16 years 3 months ago #51020 by sozzled
rimple wrote:

Can you [advise] what other [forum] component I can use with Kunena, so that I can have ... [two menu items] i.e. [one that links to an] "Announcements" [category] ... and [the other that links to the broader] "Message Board"

I have rephrased your question a little differently. Basically, your questions are totally concerned with how you would like to set up your Joomla menu.

Part of our problem is understanding why you (or anyone) would want two, totally separate, forums running on the one website. So, let's look at the reason you might possibly want to do this.

If your "Announcements" area (births, deaths, marriages, classified advertisements, etc.) is only for placing notices by you then there are other alternatives to using a forum. But, even if this "announcements" area is merely for posting notices and not (as I suspect) for discussions, there are still other ways of doing this that don't involve Kunena. There are other components in the Joomla Extension Directory that handle "listings".

But, even if you want your users to post their own "announcements" topics and you also want broader discussions to take place, there's another way to help your users find where they can do these things. When you get right down to it, that's all that a menu does: helps your users find where they can get in touch with the services that your site provides for them. B)

So, let's look at your requirement in a slightly different way. You want to show your users that they can post "announcements" and you also want to show that your site also has a general "message board". One, very easy and highly effective way you can do this is to use Kunena, as you have already set it up right now, with one section for "announcements" and another section (or sections) relating to other matters ... but, if you asked me to implement the solution, I would definitely not create two, discrete and separate, menu items. I would create, instead, one menu item and I would label it "Announcements and Message Board".

I would make one menu item "Announcements and Message Board" and I would link it to my Kunena forum. When my users arrived at my Kunena forum they would see the different sections (one for "announcements" and the other(s) for more general messages) and use them accordingly. If my users had trouble deciding where to post their messages, I would provide them with other help. I would write descriptions in the categories or create "sticky" posts, just like we do here at Kunena.com.

It's really not such a big deal: Kunena can do everything you want. Perhaps, if you look at what you're trying to achieve in a different way, you will see that there are other, simple and non-technical solutions that are just as effective as the one that you're trying to implement. I hope that my suggestion solves your problem. I really don't think the solution lies in worrying about how to create two separate Joomla menu items or worrying how to resolve the hyperlinks. :)
Last edit: 16 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds