Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to protect my forum from spam

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #31 by LittleJohn
First off, this is a Joomla problem (registration is handled by Joomla), not Kunena.

Second, there is several components and/modules which can help you out.
You could, for example, this combination: recaptcha at registration, automatic cleaning of non-activated profiles, some kind of botblock (registration validator?).
Its all in the JED.

Try have a look here:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-...urity/authentication
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/communi...ware/user-management
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/captcha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #32 by Philip Roy
Coming back to this very old thread, I just wondered if Kunena 1.6 has a feature like this? I don't want to spend my time moderating every single post, but I need to be able to approve the first few posts of a new user to assure they are a legitimate use and not just posting spurious amounts of spam.

Cheers,

Phil

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #33 by kd0bik
Is there an update on if this functionality is being considered?

JT

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34 by kd0bik
I also need very much to have this added as a standard feature. Like others have stated, I have members register and then post SPAM. I'd like to have control over this to have the first x many forum messages be moderated.

Kunena is an awesome forum for Joomla and I truly love it. But I feel it lacks in some of the SPAM controls. We need these tools to better protect our members from SPAM.

Please add this functionality.

JT

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #35 by canadianlures
I am getting flooded with useless users who are posting nonsense on my messageboard. Is there any way I can moderate users before they can post on my board - I'm getting sick of deleting users everyday and not being able to stop spam posts before they are listed...any help would be great - here is my board site:
Canadian Lures Messageboard
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject to improve search relevance

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #36 by Cerberus
install registration validator 2, then just block the email domains and your problem will be halved.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #37 by sozzled
There are several ways you can reduce the amount of spam postings on your website.

One way is to monitor and filter who is trying to join your website, as Cerberus has suggested.

Another way is to rein-in the ability to post your forum. If you allow anonymous (or guest) posting, then disallow it. Use the Kunena setting Security » Public Read/Write = No.

If you are being flooded, limit users' ability to post messages in rapid succession: Use the Kunena setting Security » Flood Protection = nn, where nn is the length of time, in seconds, that users have to wait before they can post another message. Fight fire with water.

If spammers still can't take the hint, you may have to remove the forum from public view and only allow access to registered users: Use the Kunena setting Security » Registered Users Only = Yes

If, these obstacles still do not deter spammers (they must be rather desperate) then you may need to safeguard your forum categories further. In the Forum Administration function you can set your categories (Forum security and access) » Review Posts = Yes. This means that you and your moderators will have to approve messages posted by your users before they are displayed. Hopefully, by this stage, those spammers of yours will give up their attempts and leave you alone.

Usually, such spam attacks don't last too long and spammers will leave you alone if it's too difficult for them to get their kicks from spoiling your site, and they'll look elsewhere.

Last, and not least, you are using Kunena 1.5.5. Please upgrade to K 1.5.11 to overcome a number of known security problems with that very old version. If you do not upgrade, and continue to experience security problems, you have to accept some of the responsibility.
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 1 day ago #38 by BeTheDance
Well, I just had a fun experience. :blush:

I was posting some test URLs in a post to see how the URLs were stored in the database because I'm working on another forum migration project.

Hit submit and Boom, I'm blocked and locked out of the site and out of admin. Slight panic. Had to go in to the database and unblock myself.

So, 1. Suggestion: don't block superadmins.

and 2. Is there detailed doc somewhere that explains precisely what will trigger the spam block? I wasn't posting spam, but I suppose it could have been interpreted that way. I need to know in order to decide how much to educate users and/or moderators (and myself -- doh).

More
14 years 1 day ago #39 by sozzled
There's no automated "blocking" feature in Kunena that I am aware of. You can configure some ability to prevent forum flooding, by requiring your users to wait a certain amount of time before they can post again.

Again, when all else fails, check and note what changes you make between your configuration settings and the default configuration settings and adjust them accordingly (and sparingly). ;)

More
14 years 1 hour ago #40 by xlgolffari
I suppose that your system (e.g Apache) had blocked the "administrator", because robots has tried to logg in too many times.
Solution: Create new username to superadmin group.
After that, block the current "administrator".
In the future, logg in that "new-username" as a superadmin.

xlgolffari

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds