Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Forum position shifting from left to centre on first load

More
9 years 9 months ago #1 by friday shoes
Can anybody offer some advice as to why my forum starts on the left-hand-side briefly when it first loads. It ends up centring itself, but it would be nice if it didn't do that awkward jump.

My forum

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
I tried four different browsers and two different appliances (a desktop PC and my iPad).

Maybe it's a timing thing related to how fast/slow the user's internet connection speed is, or maybe it's related to server load/capacity serve data content, but in my case the effects were minimal. I don't know what that "progress indicator" application is, but it's a nuisance that it appears whenever you go from one page to another.

It's entirely up to you, of course, if you want to show a percentage page load but it I think it will turn people off if they see it every time they flip from one part of your forum - or any other part of your site, for that matter - to another.

My guess as to the reason that your page "shifts" during page load is simply that - your browser is waiting for information and the page is being rendered "on-the-fly" as more information is downloaded to your appliance.

It may help, instead of simply posting your site URL when you ask questions on this forum, to think about using the Kunena configuration report. It will save you time and it saves us time (and it may eliminate some of the guesswork) ... ;)
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: friday shoes

More
9 years 9 months ago #3 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote: I tried four different browsers and two different appliances (a desktop PC and my iPad).

Maybe it's a timing thing related to how fast/slow the user's internet connection speed is, or maybe it's related to server load/capacity serve data content, but in my case the effects were minimal. I don't know what that "progress indicator" application is, but it's a nuisance that it appears whenever you go from one page to another.

It's entirely up to you, of course, if you want to show a percentage page load but it I think it will turn people off if they see it every time they flip from one part of your forum - or any other part of your site, for that matter - to another.

My guess as to the reason that your page "shifts" during page load is simply that - your browser is waiting for information and the page is being rendered "on-the-fly" as more information is downloaded to your appliance.

It may help, instead of simply posting your site URL when you ask questions on this forum, to think about using the Kunena configuration report. It will save you time and it saves us time (and it may eliminate some of the guesswork) ... ;)

Yes I agree with you about the percentage page load when it loads the forum, it's not ideal, there is a way to turn it off but it does it for the whole site rather than just the forum.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 256M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : vg_simplekey | author: Valentín García | version: 1.3.4 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.4 | creationdate: 2013-12-22

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.4 | 2013-12-22 [ Ukko ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 3.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Content - Kunena Discuss 3.0.1

Modules: None

More
9 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
Why are you still using K 3.0.4? You are aware, aren't you, that K 3.0.4 is unsupported?

More
9 years 9 months ago #5 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote: Why are you still using K 3.0.4? You are aware, aren't you, that K 3.0.4 is unsupported?

Not anymore, thanks for the heads up about the update.

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 256M

Kunena menu details:

Joomla default template details : vg_simplekey | author: Valentín García | version: 1.3.4 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.5 | creationdate: 2014-03-09

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.5 | 2014-03-09 [ Invecchiato ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 3.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Content - Kunena Discuss 3.0.1

Modules: None

More
9 years 9 months ago #6 by 810
this is because your js is load first, then load joomla template css.

Contact your template builder to remove that % Loader. Its slowing down your website.

Regards 810.

More
9 years 9 months ago #7 by friday shoes

810 wrote: this is because your js is load first, then load joomla template css.

Contact your template builder to remove that % Loader. Its slowing down your website.

Regards 810.

I switched off the pre-loader, the shift from left to right is more noticeable now because it's not being hidden by the mask.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #8 by sozzled
There is a lot going on at your website and one, or more, of those things are responsible.

This the following is a list of the Javascript libraries needed to run Kunena on a simple J! 3.1 website:
Code:
<script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-noconflict.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-migrate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/mediaboxAdv.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

As you can see, this is a fairly short list. There may be one or two other Javascript librbaries loaded as well, but the above list is fairly typical for Joomla 3.1

This is a list of what I discovered at your website:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery-1.8.3.min.js"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-migrate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/mediaboxAdv.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="https://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/js/jcemediabox.js?version=1110" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/components/com_jfbconnect/includes/jfbconnect.js?v=6" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/sourcecoast/js/jq-bootstrap-1.8.3.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="//maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=true&language=en-GB&libraries=weather" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/modules/mod_bt_googlemaps/tmpl/js/btbase64.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/modules/mod_bt_googlemaps/tmpl/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jpreloader.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.placeholder.js"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/migrate.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/multifb.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/jquery.mousewheel.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/jScrollPane-1.2.3.4.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/retina.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.hoverIntent.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.scrollTo-1.4.3.1-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.localscroll-1.2.7-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.nicescroll.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.sticky.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.lazyload.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/FlexSlider/jquery.flexslider-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/colorbox/jquery.colorbox.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.isotope.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.tweet.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.mobilemenu.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.simplekey.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.van.js"></script>

I should also add that this list may not be complete and I have not included other Javascript that I found on your webpage. As you can see, the web browser has to perform a lot of actions before it renders the pages to the user. What is happening is that the browser is showing part of the rendering when it's completed some of all of those Dynamic HTML exercises involved in the Javascript (as 810 has already suggested in this topic). It's entirely a matter for you, of course, but I would look at ways of reducing or simplifying any unnecessary DHTML.
The following user(s) said Thank You: friday shoes

More
9 years 9 months ago #9 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote: There is a lot going on at your website and one, or more, of those things are responsible.

This the following is a list of the Javascript libraries needed to run Kunena on a simple J! 3.1 website:

Code:
<script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-noconflict.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-migrate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/mediaboxAdv.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

As you can see, this is a fairly short list. There may be one or two other Javascript librbaries loaded as well, but the above list is fairly typical for Joomla 3.1

This is a list of what I discovered at your website:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery-1.8.3.min.js"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/jui/js/jquery-migrate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/mediaboxAdv.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/kunena/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="https://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/js/jcemediabox.js?version=1110" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/components/com_jfbconnect/includes/jfbconnect.js?v=6" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/media/sourcecoast/js/jq-bootstrap-1.8.3.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="//maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=true&language=en-GB&libraries=weather" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/modules/mod_bt_googlemaps/tmpl/js/btbase64.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/modules/mod_bt_googlemaps/tmpl/js/default.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jpreloader.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.placeholder.js"></script> <script src="http://mbro35.co.uk/mobiquo/smartbanner/appbanner.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/migrate.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/multifb.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/jquery.mousewheel.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/modules/mod_facebookwall/js/jScrollPane-1.2.3.4.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/retina.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.hoverIntent.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.scrollTo-1.4.3.1-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.localscroll-1.2.7-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.nicescroll.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.sticky.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.lazyload.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/FlexSlider/jquery.flexslider-min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/colorbox/jquery.colorbox.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.isotope.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.tweet.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.mobilemenu.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.simplekey.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/simplekey/js/jquery.van.js"></script>

I should also add that this list may not be complete and I have not included other Javascript that I found on your webpage. As you can see, the web browser has to perform a lot of actions before it renders the pages to the user. What is happening is that the browser is showing part of the rendering when it's completed some of all of those Dynamic HTML exercises involved in the Javascript (as 810 has already suggested in this topic). It's entirely a matter for you, of course, but I would look at ways of reducing or simplifying any unnecessary DHTML.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis it's really useful to see what you see is going on.

I tried disabling individual items in the Extension Manager (Tapatalk, JFB Connect, Facebook Wall, AddThis and BT Google Maps) but the problem still remains.

Is there a method to load the site step-by-step or in slow motion so that I can see what is being called at the exact point the jump occurs?

Thanks for the help

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #10 by sozzled

friday shoes wrote: Is there a method to load the site step-by-step or in slow motion so that I can see what is being called at the exact point the jump occurs?

Yes there is. Most modern web-browsers include web-design tools that allow you to analyse what is going on inside your browser: IE, Safari and Google Chrome all incorporate their own debugging tools as part of "the package"; Mozilla Firefox requires the add-on Firebug.

I think we know what (in general terms) is responsible for the issue and what you will need to do to fix it.

Yes, you can use tools such as I've mentioned to identify at what point the "jump" occurs. Alternatively, you could try disabling Joomla extensions, one by one, until you find what it is that's causing the problem. Whichever method you choose, it will probably take you a while of exploring all possible causes until you are left with essentially Kunena, Joomla and whatever it is that's "gumming up the works" (so to speak).

Time to create page: 0.639 seconds