Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Migrate from K 1.5.9 on J! 1.5 to K 3.0 on J! 2.5

More
9 years 10 months ago #1 by joogle
Hi all
i need to migrate my-clients website from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5, currently they are running Kunea v1.5.9
do i need to update this version before i can migrate to joomla 2-5 and is there any documentation that i should read before or can i just import the tables into Joomla 2-5, install latest version of Kunea - any advice would be appreciated
thanks for any help in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #2 by nutter308
See How to move, copy or merge my old Kunena forums from one site to another .

Also use the search feature, migrating kunena from 1.5 to 2.5 has been asked many times with an array of solutions.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change link

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
G'day, joogle, and welcome to Kunena.

nutter308 is right. We have discussed this issue many times (probably hundreds of times).

This is not a hard job. This is a job that probably takes at least 5 or 6 hours ... it could even take longer. If you want to spend a day or two (or possibly longer) then there is a lot of advice on the forum that will help you. If you would prefer to give the job to someone else, there are many people who will give you a professional service.

You ask if there is any "documentation" on migrating from K 1.5.9 (on J! 1.5) to K 3.0 (on J! 2.5). The answer is that there is no formal documentation written by the Kunena team on migrating from K a.b.c on J! d.e.f to K g.h.i on J! k.l.m.

The simplest advice that I can give you is to trust your instincts. If you want to give your migration the best possible chance of success, update Kunena on your J! 1.5 site

(a) update the Joomla software on your J! 1.5 site to J! 1.5.26, first; and then

(b) update the Kunena software on your J! 1.5.26 site to K 2.0.4.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
9 years 10 months ago #4 by joogle
thank you for your reply, ok here is the problem and i think it could be unique in that i am migrating to a new Joomla 2.5 install and i need to migrate the forum. The site has over 2,000 registered users.

I don't want to migrate 2,000 users BUT from the posts i have read here i will have to migrate the users that have posts on the forum, do i understand that correctly?

I cant seem to work our from the back-end who has posts and who doesn't, given there are 2,000 users what do you suggest is the best way. Migrate all of them?

I will upgrade first Joomla 1.5 version of Kunea from 1.5.9 to 2.0.4 as you suggested before I doing anything else

i do appreciate any time and help

More
9 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled

joogle wrote: I don't want to migrate 2,000 users ...

I'm not sure how to respond to that. I think you're over-complicating matters. Look at the overall strategy. The overall strategy is to achieve a forum that works. If I were in your shoes I would be concentrating first on that and then leave questions about identifying and removing "dead" users from your website to later.

joogle wrote: ... I will have to migrate the users that have posts on the forum, do I understand that correctly?

You understand that correctly, yes.

joogle wrote: I cant seem to work our from the back-end who has posts and who doesn't ...

There are ways of working this out, if you really want to invest your time (and possibly money) in this but, as I mentioned at the outset, does knowing the answer now substantially contribute towards the overall strategy?

joogle wrote: ... given there are 2,000 users what do you suggest is the best way. Migrate all of them?

Yes, that's what I would do.

It is going to take you (or someone else, if you pay them to do the work for you) at least a whole day to work through everything that has to be worked through in order to upgrade your old J! 1.5 site to the point where you can then move the data to the site's new home. After you convert the old J! 1.5 data, you then have a lot of tidying to do. The first time that I did this, it took me about three days to complete the task. I can do it a lot quicker these days, of course, but it still takes a long time.

More
9 years 10 months ago #6 by joogle
thank you for your in-depth reply, appreciated. Ok i might see if i can get a quote to have this done professionally, I assume i cant post that info here

thank you again for your kind help

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled

joogle wrote: I might see if I can get a quote to have this done professionally, I assume I cant post that info here

There are many people who provide this kind of service—I am such a person—and the cost depends on how much time is involve in the preparation work. As a ballpark figure, you're probably looking at a couple of hundred dollars.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds