Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Merged How to move, copy or merge my old Kunena forums from one site to another

More
12 years 7 months ago #1 by karaokeamerica
First apologize to Sozzled who made me aware of my mistake of asking a question in the wrong forum. I got to that one by scanning all the forum for topics on "migration" and didn't realize it was the wrong forum. Sorry.

That being said, I would like to know if there is a solution for migrating an existing Forum (J1.5.23/K1.6.5) to another site of the same versions.

Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
I'm assuming a very broad definition of the word "migration" in my reply. My assumption is that two websites exists, both of them running J! 1.5.23, K 1.6.5 and there are two separate groups of users on each website. If my assumption is correct, the migration involves taking the Kunena content from one website and merging into the Kunena content on the other site? Would that be correct?

Although a process can be developed to achieve this merger of data, it's not an easy accomplishment. Please advise if I have correctly interpreted the meaning of your word "migration" before I respond further. Thank you.

More
12 years 7 months ago #3 by karaokeamerica
Yes, you have interpreted it correctly. I'm trying to migrate the content of Kunena from one site to another. The users were migrated so the user ID's *should* be correct. The only anomoly on that would be my own data because I use Akeeba Admin Tools and re-ID'd my superadmin account on the new site.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
This is a very complicated manoeuvre. It's achievable, but it will take a lot of care in the execution.

Moving a Kunena forum from one site to another is relatively easy (if you're not interested in keeping any existing data on the target). Merging one forum into another is difficult because you need to ensure that the messages created by one site are properly owned by the users who created those messages and, if the users don't exist on the target site, you have to create user records for them on the target site. Then you have to ensure that the user-ids are correctly mapped. Further, the message ids, the categories, etc., need to be uniquely assigned so that they don't overwrite the contents on the target site.

There are 24 database tables in a "no-frills" Kunena installation which are:

jos_kunena_announcement
jos_kunena_attachments
jos_kunena_attachments_bak
jos_kunena_categories
jos_kunena_config
jos_kunena_config_backup
jos_kunena_favorites
jos_kunena_groups
jos_kunena_messages
os_kunena_messages_text
jos_kunena_moderation
jos_kunena_polls
jos_kunena_polls_options
jos_kunena_polls_users
jos_kunena_ranks
jos_kunena_sessions
jos_kunena_smileys
jos_kunena_subscriptions
jos_kunena_subscriptions_categories
jos_kunena_thankyou
jos_kunena_users
jos_kunena_users_banned
jos_kunena_version
jos_kunena_whoisonline

And, in addition to those, there are 7 tables that hold user information

jos_core_acl_aro
jos_core_acl_aro_groups
jos_core_acl_aro_map
jos_core_acl_aro_sections
jos_core_acl_groups_aro_map
jos_session

As well as these things there are also the attachments that correspond to the messages. These attachments are stored in ../media/kunena/attachments.

Basically, I've tried to include as much information as I can about what you need to know to achieve a merge of the two forums ... but I don't envy your job.

The basic, general approach is to export the database tables from your original site, edit the tables in such a way that you will not over-write things on the target site (eliminate the possibility of record duplication) and import the data into your target site.

Obviously, before you undertake this activity you need to ensure that you have make good backups of both websites beforehand and that you prevent your users updating the tables while you're carrying out the merger.

Personally, if I were thinking about doing this, I would engage a professional to do the work for me.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled. Reason: Update list of Kunena tables
The following user(s) said Thank You: kelecz, Jiminimonka

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #5 by Jiminimonka
Thanks for all that information Sozzled. I have noticed one thing in Joomla 1.7 at least. The tables appear to be different. The only _core entry I have is _core_log_searches. There is a jos_users, jos_user_profile, jos_usergroups (of course jos_ is not necessarily the same for every user its the bit after the underscore that matters most).

I will dig around on the Joomla forums and try to get an updated list.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Jiminimonka.

More
12 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
J! 1.7 tables are different. The information I gave was based on J! 1.5. J! 1.7 tables use randomised database prefixes.

The question asked by karaokeamerica relates to J! 1.5.

• mlewis
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #7 by mlewis
I need to do the same thing but from a Joomla 1.6 site to a Joomla 1.7 site. Both sites are running K 1.6.5 I think it is. I don't really care if the users are associated with their posts. All I really care about is that all of the original posts not be lost in the move and show up on the new site.

From there, even if users don't associate with the posts, they can at least continue the thread as ongoing.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #8 by Jiminimonka
The Joomla 1.7 user database tables are:

jos_usergroups
jos_users
jos_user_profiles
jos_user_usergroup_map

and the collation is different for each database, i.e. jos_ could be jml_ or bbc_ or flb_ etc.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Jiminimonka.

More
12 years 7 months ago #9 by sozzled

Jiminimonka wrote: the collation is different for each database ...

Minor correction to the terminology: the collation is the same (or it should be the same) but the table prefix name will probably be different in J! 1.7.

More
12 years 7 months ago #10 by karaokeamerica
Is it the user tables that are the important tables in migrating Kunena? What I mean is, if the users are migrated already (keeping the same ID's) isn't it the Kunena tables that need to be migrated or is there some other relationship I'm not seeing here that makes the user tables relevant in this case?

That last part could be very likely.....;)

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds