Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved J! 2.5.7 + K 2.0.2 + shape5_vertex template -> cookie problems

More
11 years 6 months ago #1 by oldfart
I have a site with Joomla 2.5.7 and Kunena 2.0.2

With sef urls turned on and Use URL rewriting on, every topic visited in Kunena creates a client-side cookie.

Eventually a client error occurs:-
Bad Request - Your browser sent a request that the server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit
Cookie

When sef urls are turned off - there are no client-side cookies set.

Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #2 by oldfart
quick update
with J1.5.26 - there are no cookie problems
with j1.7.5 - we get problems with cookies and all the versions after that.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #3 by sozzled
While these claims may be true (and I have no reason to doubt that the claims may be true) there's no way for us to verify these claims because we have no knowledge about the target website. It's certainly true that Kunena uses cookies but this is the first occasion that I've heard of this particular issue. If the "cookie issues" only manifest themselves with Joomla SEO enabled then this does not seem to me to be specifically an issue with Kunena. The first place that I would begin my investigation would be with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) .

There is an important notice that appears on the Index page of this website and on all pages in the Kunena 2.0 Support (reporting defects) category. The notice reads as follows:

Please Read This First:

Please read the guides posted as sticky topics in this category. For a quicker response, please give as much information to help us understand the problem (see How To Ask Questions The Smart Way and What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)? ).

This category is for Kunena 2.0 product-related issues only. Please read, before you post, Before you post your question, read this first .

Do not use this category:
  • if this website ( www.kunena.org ) works the way you expect things to work
  • for requests to add or remove the standard features of Kunena;
  • for questions commonly asked or "how to" in nature (see the FAQs menu tab above);
  • for help with Kunena versions that are not the latest stable release; or
  • for general Joomla or website administration matters

If people want other people to provide a rapid response, the more information that people provide up front (without us having to continually remind them) the better. The configuration report provides that information.

My guesses as to the cause of this problem are a wrongly-configured implementation of Joomla SEO, a custom .htaccess file, another Joomla extension that's interfering with Kunena (or Joomla) or, possibly, something amiss with the Joomla menu or Kunena configuration settings. In the first instance it's important to get back to basics: standard Joomla SEO (remove any third-party players from the game); standard Kunena menu; default Kunena configuration settings (including Blue Eagle template).

I have moved this topic from the Kunena 2.0 Support (reporting defects) category because (a) in the two months following the release of K 2.0.2, I think it would be reasonable to expect that we would have received many other reports of this situation occurring and (b) your report lacks vital information that allows us to further investigate your situation.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 6 months ago #4 by WhatNoWebsite
Hi guys (I'm working on the same site)

The install that's causing the issues we have come across is the following:

• Joomla 2.5.7
• Kunena 2.02

SEF & Mod Rewrite are on and no manual customisation has been made to the htaccess file.

I did install JoomSEF and de installed it as soon as I realised it did not benefit Kunena.

Curiously, we have tested Kunena 2.02 in Jomla 2.57 with no SEF and get very few cookies

We've also tested in Joomla 1.7 with SEF and get a lot of cookies but not in Joomla 1.5.

We really would prefer to run Kunena in Joomla 2.5.7 but if we can't bottom out how these cookies are being generated and limit them to a sensible size then we'll have to hand code a template for Joomla 1.5 as Kunena is by far one of the best forums available that integrates with Joomla but the configuration of Joomla 2.5.7 with SEF & Kunena 2.0.2 just seems to be a headache for users.

Configuration data below:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 10M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : shape5_vertex | author: Shape5.com | version: 2.0 | creationdate: January 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.2 | creationdate: 2012-09-02

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.2 | 2012-09-02 [ Botschafter ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.8

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 2.0.2 | Kunena Stats 2.0.2

More
11 years 6 months ago #5 by WhatNoWebsite
Just to let you know guys, oldfart is relatively new to Joomla, to website development and using the various components so it's really my fault that no complete diagnostic post was made.

Hope the above is of some use.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #6 by sozzled
FYI: 2.0.x is unworkable in J! 1.7.

We have received many reports (not good ones) about Shape5 templates.

The cookies issue is probably related to the webhost. Have you tried K 2.0 on a different webhost?

Your menu is over-complicated. Try with the basic Kunena menu. This probably explains why your SEF/SEO is a mess, too.

I'm sorry that there's little "science" in my response. I'm only using your configuration report and aiming at the most likely suspects. Have you tried the When all else fails, try this approach to rule out the template, the webhost and the menu?
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago #7 by WhatNoWebsite
Hi

We've tested both on a cPanel server provided by one of the largest data centres in the US, locally on local server, running Ubuntu 12.10; Apache2, with various Joomla templates and versions and we can tell you quite categorically that the issueONLY EVER OCCURS with the following configuration:

Joomla 2.5.7 + Kunena 2.0.2 installation + SEF & Mod Rewrite

If I disable SEF in Joomla 2.5.7 we still get cookies but nothing like the volume.

If we use a different template, same issues.

The only way we have been able to get it to work is with Joomla 1.5 + Kunena 2.0.2 & SEF etc turned on. 1 cookie.

Now you may see this as a slant against Kunena, it's not. I'm a developer with 17+ years experience and I simply want to find out what is causing the issue and resolve it.

The configuration posted above should be sufficient but feel free to ask for more information should you need it.

Thanks.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #8 by sozzled
:) Thank you for you response. We appreciate the efforts that you are making to resolve this issue. i have not seen this kind of problem reported before on this forum and, indeed, i am unable to see how we are able to reproduce it on this site ( www.kunena.org ). Have you tried the When all else fails, try this approach?

From what you have written, I think we should continue to eliminate as many possible causes as we can until we are left with the most basic configuration that clearly points to K 2.0.2 as the culprit. This is why I suggest that you create, on your current webhosting, a "vanilla-flavoured" J 2.5.7 site (with SEO enabled)', no other extensions/third-party templates installed, K 2.0.2 "out-of-the-box" with no changes made to it and see if the "cookie monster" makes its appearance under those conditions. This should take you about an hour to do this simple test.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago #9 by WhatNoWebsite
HI

That's what we did do, both on a local and remote server.

What's strange is that the following configurations produce one or possibly only a few cookies:

• Joomla 1.5 + Kunena 2 with SEF and Mod rewrite enabled
• Joomla 1.7 / 2.5 + Kunena 2 with SEF and mod rewrite disabled

If we disable SEF in the last installation and clear all cookies in cache we are still left with a few cookies, more than we we would like.

I'm thinking it's neither Kunena nor Joomla at fault but the combination of the two.

I have lots of spare domains so if you like I can setup an account and PM the details so you can replicate yourself as I know that when troubleshooting that's the hardest part, replicating the problem.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #10 by sozzled
Very strange. If you created a test site (using a minimum Jooma 2.5.7 + SEO and K 2.0.2) on a local site then this is quite unusual. The website here - at www.kunena.org - is built in J! 2.5.7 and I don't see the issues here.

When I visit the wesbite shown in your config. report I do not get any messages like the following:

Bad Request - Your browser sent a request that the server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit
Cookie

I wonder if this is a browser issue? What browser are you using? I do not have any issues like what you're having if I use Firefox 16.0.1, Internet Explorer 9 or Google Chrome 22.

I assume that I should see the error message (as reported in msg #1 of this topic) as soon as I go to the forum page. Is that correct?

We do not have a PM feature at this website.

Do you see a manifestation of the problem here at www.kunena.org - because we're using J! 2.5.7 + standard Joomla SEO and the standard Kunena menu here - well, it's almost "standard".
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.591 seconds