Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Beginners Question Kunena Look

More
14 years 9 months ago #1 by geurtd
Hello,

Im new to joomla and kunena. I have the following question.
I have made a link to the kunena forum on my site and specified to open the forum in a new window without browser options, this works fine, Kunena opens in new window, with just the forum, no browser options and no website template, exactly what i want, but when i click any option in Kunena the view goes back to my website template and kunena displayed in the centre part of this template, i do not want this, i want the new window to show only the forum, how can i achieve this ?

website mad.divethephilippines.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #2 by Spock
I think it'll always point back to the default forum unless you hack it. This is what I'd call a messy solution but it should work. Write an article in joomla content and use an I-frame to display your forum in it (or use Joomla!'s wrapper function). Then change your forum link to point to this article/wrapper. See how that goes and I you encounter any problems we'll help out

More
14 years 9 months ago #3 by geurtd
I tried the wrapper option, it does not work. It behaves the same as the direct forum link.
Thx for trying though

More
14 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
geurtd wrote:

I have made a [menu] link to the Kunena forum on my site ... to open the forum in a new window without browser options. This works fine: Kunena opens in new window, with just the forum, no browser options and no website template ...

Hold on a moment :S ... the forum opens in a new window with no Joomla website template?

Even though this is an unusual application I still followed the procedure on a one of my test sites and, indeed, my forum opened in a new browser winder, without browser nagivation options ... but it loaded the Joomla template for me! :huh:

I cannot see how geurtd wants his menu link to operate because I don't have a test account to use at his website. Sorry, I can't help you.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #5 by Spock
geurtd wrote:

I tried the wrapper option, it does not work. It behaves the same as the direct forum link.
Thx for trying though

I will test a few things later this evening and come up with some sort of solution for you.

Edit:its just that i've to go to work now but the thought i would have is to create a html framset with the blank for displayed (this may work)
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by Spock.

More
14 years 9 months ago #6 by geurtd
I have created a test account for the site.
user test, password test.
When you click the forum link MAD Forum it looks exactly as i want it, but when you click on a topic (welcome to kunena) it defaults back to the website template layout, i want to avoid this since the forum then becomes too small in my opinion.
The Forum wrapper behaves exactly the same.

More
14 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled
Cannot view mad.divethephilippines.com . You're still adding other components, it seems. Please advise when site is stable/viewable.

More
14 years 9 months ago #8 by sozzled
If you want my brutal, honest opinion, I think you're going about this the wrong way.

The problem stems from using a very narrow-width Joomla template. This kind of a template is probably not well-suited to handling a Kunena forum. This explains why it's "necessary" to attempt to strip the Joomla template from the Kunena forum pages. However, by opening the Kunena forum in a new browser window and removing the browser's navigation, that's making life miserable for your users. What if they want to go back a couple of pages? Where's the back button? It's not there, of course!

I think that there's a simpler solution if you use a flexible-width Joomla template. There are millions of them around. Or use a Joomla template that is wider than the one you're currently using. Why, after all, is it really necessary to fill up the user's browser window with so much blue? I understand, blue suits the "diving" theme ... but surely there are other designs that will serve your purpose and do it much better, aren't there? :unsure:

Before you look for a solution, always ask yourself first, "What's my purpose?" Sometimes aesthetics have to be compromised against functionality.

More
14 years 9 months ago #9 by geurtd
Yes your right, i am going about this the wrong way, thx for all you help.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds