Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question my RSS feed is on a dirty protest

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #21 by sozzled
forumspod wrote:

I can't make the rss feed selective ... I've had an idea:

Set up a link from live site to dev site to a specific thread topic so that people can leave a quick message. Make sure there's only one way back to the live site via the top menu and use the rss feed from the dev site to the live site LIONS FORUM module!

Yes, I understand the dilemma and your idea will work. RSS feeds can be piped from anywhere you can get them. So, basically, you want to set up two places for where your users can leave data. Both places would run Kunena (because that has the easiest-to-use interface to enter the details. By running two sites with Kunena, you can generate two RSS feeds. You pipe both feeds into one website.

As you say, the difficulty is navigating between each site so that they appear to be the same site. You also have to overcome the problem of single sign-on for both sites (i.e. registration at one site automatically grants the right to login at both sites). Have I understood the sitation correctly?

The more I think about this problem the less inclined I am that Kunena is the way to go about it. I'd like to check out a few other options, alternative Joomla extensions, that might do what you want better.
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #22 by forumspod
well before i get going - the latest problem is the message: Error loading feed data on the main admin panel. what next??

the idea is sound - make the access to the public access dev site from a registered area of the live site (its not ebay so people aren't going to try hacking). then a single menu back to the live site.

However...

when I set up the menu for kunena, it drops you into a thread, not the main forum. If I use the URL to the main forum, it comes up 404. brilliant.

(I'm boring myself by the way)

I don't understand how I've managed to generate so many errors with one software package.

I think you're right. time for a less mental forum and a different package to solve my rss feed problem.

I have to say, you've been amazingly helpful - should you ever find yourself in Sheffield, I owe you a night out and a cheap call girl!!!

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #23 by sozzled
I've got some good ideas. I'll post them at your development site.

EDIT: Look at message I posted in your development site

More
14 years 9 months ago #24 by forumspod
Hi - I've done a mock up of the module to show who's going. I suspect that bit will be easy as a module is fairly standard.

The module on your test site should fit in to its own page just like the gallery or forum (eventually) did.

What do you think?

Cheers, Bruce.
Attachments:

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #25 by sozzled
Just to inform the rest of the users as to what is going on, we've been looking into a situation involving an event registration function. Initially, Bruce was trying to use the Kunena RSS feed to display information (entered by his site members) on the front page - as he has shown in the example in the preceding message posted here. To achieve this would involve feeding information from specified discussions or a specific category. The Kunena RSS feed, of course, collects information across the whole forum.

Although it's possible to use Kunena to achieve this result, it severely limits its functionality as a forum to discuss other subjects. Even the latest posts module (that's been developed by other Kunena users) would have difficulties in achieving the desired result. Among other things, the main problems are:
  1. how to get a consistent look about the information?
  2. if a person who "registers" changes their mind, how do they unregister?
However the latest posts module does control the ability to display information from a specific category ... and this may still be a solution.

However, as this discussion topic has been about how to get the RSS feed display working - and that part has been solved - the purpose for which it is required is a different discussion topic altogether.

I have been working with Bruce in looking at EventList (developed by Christopher Lukes) at www.schlu.net/ which does the management of events and allows site members to register their interest in attending. This, of course, isn't the only event registration system available. For example there is RedEvent (which is based on EventList) from redcomponent.com/redevent which, according to its description, includes an RSS feed; RedEvent can be downloaded for free but requires payment to register in order to do that.

Returning to Bruce's last message:

I've done a mock up of the module to show who's going. I suspect that bit will be easy as a module is fairly standard.

The module on your test site should fit in to its own page just like the gallery or forum (eventually) did.

What do you think?

I think you will have some "fun" developing a module from EventList that will display the information as you've shown. EventList wasn't designed to be accommodated into a side-panel module position (it's more of a main component thing). Please keep me informed of your progress and your solution (if any). FYI, I was able to solve the dilemma in displaying the Community Builder avatar; it required a small change to one of the EvenList modules.

Cheers

sozz :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #26 by forumspod
in short no. probably not. would have been nice to use kunena.

That module you've written or amended on your site, is it possible to rss feed the results to a standard module?

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #27 by sozzled
forumspod wrote:

That module you've written or amended on your site, is it possible to rss feed the results to a standard module?

So that I can be sure I understand what you mean, perhaps we should chat about it.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds