Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question pt-BR translation incorrect for gender "unknown"

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #1 by cmart02
The word "Unknown" has been translated in such a way that it means "I am homosexual" in my language. I've trying to figure out where the heck I change this option to something else, but I am throwing the towel... it is easier to ask:

- Where the heck do I change this option so that I reads something "more accurate"? :woohoo:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Jiminimonka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #2 by Jiminimonka
It would help if you told us which language you are talking about. Languages for Kunena are done on Transifex .

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
10 years 7 months ago #3 by cmart02
Portuguese (Brazil)... But I cannot find the translation for it. I don't know where to find the value for gender (Unknown, Male, Female). That is what I need to change.

thanks

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #4 by Jiminimonka
What is the word you think should be there, and what word is there currently? If you are correct then this should be changed permanently, not just on your website.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Jiminimonka.

More
10 years 7 months ago #5 by 810
COM_KUNENA_MYPROFILE_GENDER_UNKNOWN="Unknown"
Go to backend- extensions -language manager- overrides then add COM_KUNENA_MYPROFILE_GENDER_UNKNOWN="Unknown"

Or change it in the kunena language file:

\components\com_kunena\language\pt-BR\pt-BR.com_kunena.ini line 223
or:
\language\pt-BR\pt-BR.com_kunena.ini line 223

In your language file is:
COM_KUNENA_MYPROFILE_GENDER_UNKNOWN="Indeciso"

and Indeciso means undecided. So it is right
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka, cmart02

More
10 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled

cmart02 wrote: Where the heck do I change this option so that I reads something "more accurate"?

See Where is the language file?

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #7 by cmart02

810 wrote: COM_KUNENA_MYPROFILE_GENDER_UNKNOWN="Indeciso"

and Indeciso means undecided. So it is right

Literally translated, yes, "Indeciso" does mean "Undecided", which is not the same as "Unknown". As a slang, "Indeciso" means "Gay" in Brazil when in a gender context. So to have it translated as "Indeciso" from "Unknown" is incorrect and inappropriate. More appropriate would be "Não informado" (Not disclosed). Thus, while the literal translation is right, the context in which it is in makes it utterly wrong ("inappropriate" might be a softer word). People will feel offended even if they are gay.

Given that some names you cannot determine the gender by its spelling (unless you know the name), I think that even "Unknown" is not appropriate for English. "Not disclosed" would be a better and safer option, since it implies the person does not want to disclose his/her gender.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will take the time to change it tonight.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by cmart02.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds