Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question How to Adjust Column Widths

More
14 years 11 months ago #1 by bubbawubba
I would like to change the FORUM and LAST POST column widths on the main Categories pages.

I would like to decrease the FORUM column

I would like to increase the LAST POST column so that I can show more of the post title.

Thanks in advance for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #2 by bubbawubba
Using FireBug I found the following - but I have no clue in which file I can make the adjustments. Can anyone tell me which file I can make the changes?

<tr id="fb_cat6" class="fb_sectiontableentry2">
<td class="td-1" align="center">
</td>
<td class="td-2" align="left">
</td>
<td class="td-3 fbm" align="center">0</td>
<td class="td-4 fbm" align="center"> 0 </td>
<td class="td-5" align="left"> No Posts </td>
</tr>

More
More
14 years 11 months ago #4 by bubbawubba
Thanks ... but

1. First Point = This is for the wrong set of pages. I am interested in the main forum page which shows all the categories and sections. For example on this page
www.kunena.com/forum?func=listcat
I want to make FORUMS smaller and LAST POST wider. I think the user is more interested in the post and getting more info there rather than the FORUMS column.

2. Second Point = Really nothing there that helps me.

3. Third Point = has nothing to do with this issue that I am having.

I still have no solution on how to change the kunena column widths

More
14 years 11 months ago #5 by grumblemarc
Sure you do. Get FireBug and/or Web Developer tools for Firefox. If you don't know how to use Firebug there are tutorials on Youtube that can explain it's usage. If you plan on altering templates you need to know how these things work. Little by little you're asking someone to help you redesign your whole template. Might as well learn these tools and know how to do it on your own.

Kinda along the lines of teaching a man to fish...

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 11 months ago #6 by sozzled
The column widths are defined in the file listcat.php (depends on which Kunena template you're working with)
Code:
<tbody id = "catid_<?php echo $cat->id ; ?>"> <tr class = "fb_sth fbs "> <th class = "th-1 <?php echo $boardclass; ?>sectiontableheader" width="1%">&nbsp;</th> <th class = "th-2 <?php echo $boardclass; ?>sectiontableheader" align="left"><?php echo _GEN_FORUM; ?></th> <th class = "th-3 <?php echo $boardclass; ?>sectiontableheader" align="center" width="5%"><?php echo _GEN_TOPICS; ?></th> <th class = "th-4 <?php echo $boardclass; ?>sectiontableheader" align="center" width="5%"> <?php echo _GEN_REPLIES; ?> </th> <th class = "th-5 <?php echo $boardclass; ?>sectiontableheader" align="left" width="25%"> <?php echo _GEN_LAST_POST; ?> </th> </tr>

More
14 years 11 months ago #7 by bubbawubba
Grumblemarc - thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you. I did not ask anyone to redesign my site. I have been learning to fish. I have gotten Firebug and am learning to use it. All I wanted was the place where the column widths are defined and then I can go and make the changes I want.

From a usability perspective I think the present layout is not optimal and I thought that maybe my question would also be seen as a suggestion for improvement. For example - the FORUM column which is so wide is a waste of space. Anyone that is on a forum for more than three sessions will know what each forum is and will not look at it anymore but the LAST POST column shows the latest post which is of significant interest.

Next thing of interest might be to define someone how many posts to include in the LATEST POST column. Maybe up to three posts where you just see the post title and nothing else.

Just some ideas

SOZZLED - BINGO! That was it!
Thank You very much!
I don't think I would have ever found that with Firebug.

My design now is so much nicer!

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #8 by sozzled
bubbawubba wrote:

From a usability perspective I think the present layout is not optimal and I thought that maybe my question would also be seen as a suggestion for improvement. For example - the FORUM column which is so wide is a waste of space. Anyone that is on a forum for more than three sessions will know what each forum is and will not look at it anymore but the LAST POST column shows the latest post which is of significant interest.

Next thing of interest might be to define someone how many posts to include in the LATEST POST column. Maybe up to three posts where you just see the post title and nothing else.

I'm pleased to have been able to help.

"From a usability perspective" depends entirely on the combination of what you choose for your [Joomla] site template and Kunena forum template.

With regard to your questions about "limiting the number of posts in the LATEST POST column" (the meaning of which, I confess, eludes me) although off-topic, you might experiment with the Kunena setting (Components » Kunena Forum » Frontend) Threads Per Page to achieve what you're after.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 11 months ago #9 by bubbawubba
Let me explain a bit better about the NEW POSTS idea I have

On this page www.kunena.com/forum?func=listcat

In the LAST POST column it has the title of the one last post

What I think might be better is to change LAST POST to NEWEST POSTS
and then have potentially 3, 4 or 5 titles for the newest posts.

Why do this? Well on the main page it shows quickly that there is activity happening in the forums.

More
14 years 11 months ago #10 by grumblemarc
That is terrible! I had forgotten how much of the CSS and logic was intermingled. That kind of stuff should mostly/only be found in the CSS. I can see why one would have trouble using FireBug to find things when they aren't where you expect them to be.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds