Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Updating new live site with Kunena

More
14 years 9 months ago #1 by derekk
I posted this on the jpack forum but also need to know what Kunena users think because really the kunena forum is most important to this site.

I have a live site with Kunena 1.8 using joomla 1.0.12

I have the dev site set up now with Joomla 1.5.10 and Kunena 1.8
backed up with Joomlapack 2.1

This dev site was set up 3 months ago.

Both have Joomlapack backups at least weekly.

I now want to launch the new 1.5.10 dev site to live server

The issue is of course there is a window of 3 months of posts and users on Kunena since I did the dev site. I did the upgrade from Fireboard to Kunena this way as well on the live site.

I understand the steps update to kunena on the dev is:
1.Export all fb tables from the live site to a sql file
2.Uninstall Kunena
Import sql file to the dev database tables
3. Reinstall Kunena
4. Make Jpack 2.1 backup

Now to update the live Joomla 1.0 site steps I am not sure about any clarity or help would be appreciated

1. Inform users site is down on this date
2. put old index.html up
3. remove all folders and files for joomla
4. FTP the jpack zip and extract the zip of dev 2.1 backup I made on the live server

This is where I have questions?

Do I unpack this dev using the same db name and username as on the dev or do I overwrite the old "live joomla 1.0 DB by using its db name and username when I unpack the dev jpack?

Would I still need to change or edit the paths in the configuration files or anywhere else?

I think I have somehow overthought this.

The live site and the dev are on the same dedicated server. I just made the dev site another domain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day derekk :) I've been through a similar experience myself in the past few days.

From the sounds of things, you have a pretty good handle on how to go about transferring your data across from one site to another. I think you made a good choice to keep both sites running the same version of Kunena.

In moving your live site to J! 1.5 I would tackle things a little differently assuming that both sites are identical except for the content in the forums. You might like to consider this approach:
  1. Export all fb tables from the live site
  2. Import all the fb tables into the dev site
  3. Upgrade to K 1.5.4 on the dev site
  4. Backup your dev site using Joomlapack
  5. Install backed-up dev site over your production site
  6. Make minor naming changes to the production site as necessary.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3 by derekk

In moving your live site to J! 1.5 I would tackle things a little differently assuming that both sites are identical except for the content in the forums. You might like to consider this approach:

1. Export all fb tables from the live site
2. Import all the fb tables into the dev site
4. Backup your dev site using Joomlapack
5. Install backed-up dev site over your production site
6. Make minor naming changes to the production site as necessary.

Thanks for the quick and accurate reply sozzled

In point 1 and 2, do I absolutely need to do a compressed export of the sql file in phpmyadmin? Also you mean of course after uninstalling Kunena on dev site then do the import of live(production) site db and upgrade by installing K 1.5.4 on the dev site(not reinstalling 1.8 and upgrading to K 1.5.4 on the dev site).

Point 5 "install over your production site", do you mean by overwriting the old "live" joomla 1.0 DB by using its db name and username when I unpack the dev jpack?
Should I delete all the live folders and files first, I am concerned about the cache being corrupt or problematic on the live site right now?

Point 6 can you elaborate on what minor naming changes might be involved, this one escapes me :cheer: .

Thank you, I can see how upgrading in point 5 would save me a whole step and test headaches.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
Let me again state the general procedure with some elaboration:

I assume that you have a live production site running J! 1.0.12 and a development site using J 1.5.10 and, except for data content, they are otherwise identically configured.
  1. Export all jos_fb* tables from the live site
  2. Leaving K 1.0.8 in place on your development site, import all the fb tables saved in step 1
  4. Make a backup copy your dev site using Joomlapack
  5. Using the copy made in step 4. install backed-up "dev site" over your production site (using the Joomlapack "kickstart" facility) - you can choose to install using a differently-named SQL database and with a different site name to the name used in step 4
  6. Make minor naming changes to the production site as necessary. For example, you can change any menus or named items that might reflect the site's "development" status. You also might have to add any new users registered on the old live site but which have been lost in step 5
Obviously, before doing anything, you need to make a backup of your Joomla 1.0.8 site using an appropriate method.

Your question: "Do I absolutely need to do a compressed export of the SQL file in phpmyadmin?" Well, I don't know how you can perform step 2 without it.

Your question "Should I delete all the live folders and files first, I am concerned about the cache being corrupt or problematic on the live site right now?" Yes, you could do that. Alternatively you could simply place the backup dev. archive and kickstart.php in the top level directory, run the process and see what happens next.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds