Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Question Migration from phpBB to Kunena

More
13 years 8 months ago #1 by coolnet
I was curious, when I was reading the docs on your site, I was wondering, do I need to have Joomla to run Kunena or can I run Kunena without Joomla?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled

coolnet wrote: Can I run Kunena without Joomla?

No
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #3 by coolnet

sozzled wrote:

coolnet wrote: Can I run Kunena without Joomla?

No

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason why you need Joomla to run Kunena? I love the Kunena design and everything, but the Joomla looks very confusing to use.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by coolnet.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled

coolnet wrote: Is there a reason why you need Joomla to run Kunena?

Yes. Kunena was designed to use Joomla and is built around the Joomla Application Program Interface [API]. Kunena was not designed to operate as a standalone forum like phpBB. Other standalone foums have their own user registration, login/logout and user profiling faciliies. Kunena uses these features that are already incorporated into Joomla.

This is the same design philosphy used by other Joomla extensions (including other forum software, similar to Kunena, like Agora for instance). The principle is that Joomla is what manages the overall content; extensions (like Kunena) extend this Joomla functionality. Joomla may seem, at first glance, to be a little overwhelming. I recommend that you read about what Joomla has to offer and try it for yourself before you come to any final conclusions about it.

I recommend two wonderful books on the subject:
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. Although this book is a little dated, the general principles are similar.
I own these books, they're excellent value and I'm sure they will be useful to refer to for a long time to come! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: coolnet

More
13 years 8 months ago #5 by coolnet
Thank you for your reply. I don't know much about Joomla and Kunena, but now I do.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds