Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Solved Moving to Kunena via file/spreadsheet: So close... but stuck!

More
9 years 2 months ago #1 by Marvin McDuck
Hi --

I've manually been moving a forum from a byzantine forum installation to Kunena.

My problem is: The 'search' doesn't seem to work at all for the imported stuff... It does work on the test-threads that I had first made. Any ideas?

There's a jos_kunena_keywords and jos_kunena_keyword_maps table that are both 100% empty. But nowhere in the jos_kunena_xx tables there seems to be any keyword mapping or so? So it all relies on Joomla's (simple) Search? How/where can I trigger Joomla to start indexing forum contents?

Details & procedure:

I'm not scripting it because I keep finding out new weirdnesses that I have to sort, and check on spreadsheets that they work. (Anomalies, like a reaction being posted at an earlier time or lower id than the topic starting post.)

So, I'm working on the basis of
www.kunena.org/forum/migrate-to-kunena/1...?limitstart=0#147012 and
www.kunena.org/forum/migrate-to-kunena/1...ort-from-file#159159
and thought I had all: I constructed the missing information to create e.g. the jos_kunena_topics table (first- and last post, including their author and time, and number of posts and hits for the topic); the original seems to work with a kind of linked list data structure, with posts having a parent... So you work out the number of topics and their first post by finding posts without parent, group all these `topics' like that and count (often using =match(..,..,0) or =match(..,..,1)) whatever you need.

After making a few test-threads, and seeing where in the jos_kunena_** tables they ended up how, I constructed all needed info (not much: 3000posts, 850users of which 600 have posted, in 650 threads in 8 categories) in some spreadsheets (one took 8min to save in LibreOffice), and imported it into
jos_users
jos_kunena_messages
jos_kunena_messages_text
jos_kunena_topics
I actually first made the categories in Kunena itself, as it was as much work as importing it, and guarantees correctly-configured. (I made them in the order of the original numbering, so I had to only edit the cat-id of one of the original's categories, rest correct.)

After the forum tools ('synchro users' and 'build statistics') the jos_kunena_users and jos_kunena_user_topics tables filled themselves. There's a few anomalies like I've assigned the superuser to all posts that no user-ID could be found (only user-name); sadly Kunena displays the name linked to the user-ID of that post (not the name) apparently (so the superuser seems to discuss with herself occasionally).

A few glitches displayed (somewhere a post with +1M views -- while top-3 in database are 2x 53K, 1x 50K); that's another mystery: I see `0 hits' on my test-threads in the database, yet they've definitely been watched a few times during testing.

So all seems to work, but not the Search which is in Joomla's hands: What do I have to do to re-index?

(A draft site is online.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #2 by Marvin McDuck
Ok..

I wrote:
I restarted from scratch and Search seems to be working perfectly fine now. The only difference I can see, is that I didn't install the JCE plugin (yet) this time, AND that I only inserted some test-messages (both in an existing thread, and in a fully-inserted-via-phpadmin thread).

What is the most likely explanation?
(1) A glitch, irreproduceable error so quasi impossible to determine or fix, and don't worry,
(2) JCE did it,
(3) Somewhere in the mass of real messages that I'm trying to move, there's a fatal error.

I have to hope that it's (1) and not (3). Is there a likely scenario where (2) JCE is to blame, and how can that be resolved?

But... no. Search is totally not working, and no JCE in sight!

Alternative hypothesis: Is Search indexing just slowly happening and I'm too hasty --- if I add 2-3 test posts, those are so quickly indexed that they show up immediately in results, but when batch-importing posts/topics then it's a matter of luck? Nope, I think, because a database dump with 15min inbetween (and no looking at the site) has zero differences except the (SQL dump file) Generation Time.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Marvin McDuck. Reason: found out more information

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #3 by Marvin McDuck
Ahrg.

The search only seemingly is was broken: I didn't know that by default, SEARCH in Kunena is checking the last 365 days only... Because I was working with an 8months old database, and relatively few messages, I didn't spot that pattern of matches/misses!?! Can't believe how many hours this took.

Once understood, the setting is trivial to change (I didn't spot a preference to set in the admin backend; hence see attached screenshot, including path to the file and filename, line-number, and what to change: "365" to "all"; like this it will be overwritten upon next Kunena-update, you may want a better solution).
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds