Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Solved EasyDiscuss to Kunena

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Ubelmort
So, I'm trying to migrate everything over to Kunena from EasyDicuss. I know there isn't a method to do so, so everything would have to be done the SQL queries. I sorta figured it out but I'm missing something, I've gotten the categories, posts and replies over. However the Count for Topics and Replies are completely off. Stating I have over 800,000 replies and 270,000 topics... And I dont! no where near that. Also the Time is completely off, says the posts were 44 years ago

These are the SQL queries I ran to get as far as I am now, if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome.

*Edited See below
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Ubelmort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rik Brown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #2 by Ubelmort
Replied by Ubelmort on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
These are the new queries I've created, however I can't get the replies to join the topics properly.

*EDITED SEE BELOW

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #3 by Ubelmort
Replied by Ubelmort on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
I guess I can be nice and post my working migration. This migration only migrates, Categories, Topics and Replies as this is all we really cared to migrate. The major issue we had were the TimeStamps as EasyDiscuss uses DATETIME and Kunena uses INT, so we need to modify Kunena's method temporarily.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT A SQL EXPERT, I DID A TON OF GOOGLING! ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

(Remember to replace xx with your DB prefix)
First we truncated all the tables in Kunena we wanted to migrate data into.
(NOTE: This removes everything from these tables!)
Code:
TRUNCATE TABLE 'xx_kunena_categories' TRUNCATE TABLE 'xx_kunena_messages' TRUNCATE TABLE 'xx_kunena_messages_text' TRUNCATE TABLE 'xx_kunena_topics' TRUNCATE TABLE 'xx_kunena_user_topics'

Now I had to change the way the TimeStamps were in Kunena to except EasyDiscuss TimeStamp
(There probably is an easier way but this is how I did it)

I went into phpMyAdmin and found the following tables

xx_kunena_topics
xx_kunena_messages

and modified these columns: first_post_time, last_post_time, time

INT Default 0
to
datetime Default 0000-00-00 00:00:00

Now we are ready to migrate Categories, Topics and Replies into Kunena

Categories
Code:
INSERT INTO xx_kunena_categories (id,name,description,alias,published,parent_id) SELECT id,title,description,alias,published,parent_id FROM xx_discuss_category

Parent Post into Topics table
Code:
INSERT INTO xx_kunena_topics (id,first_post_id,subject,first_post_time,first_post_message,ordering,hits,locked,first_post_userid,first_post_guest_name,category_id) SELECT id,id,title,created,content,ordering,hits,islock,user_id,poster_name,category_id FROM xx_discuss_posts WHERE parent_id = 0

Posts into Messages table
Code:
INSERT INTO xx_kunena_messages (id,subject,time,ordering,hits,locked,userid,parent,name,email,catid,ip) SELECT id,title,created,ordering,hits,islock,user_id,parent_id,poster_name,poster_email,category_id,ip FROM xx_discuss_posts

Set Replies to the right Thread
Code:
UPDATE xx_kunena_messages AS msg SET msg.thread = msg.parent

Set the Parent to the right Thread
Code:
UPDATE xx_kunena_messages AS msg SET msg.thread = msg.id WHERE msg.parent = 0

Import the Post Content into the msg_txt table
Code:
INSERT INTO xx_kunena_messages_text (mesid,message) SELECT id,content FROM xx_discuss_posts

Now this is where I went into Joomla's backend -> Kunena Forum -> Forum Tools -> Recount Statistics

Doing this you will notice all your Counts are off however it updates the last_post_time table for us so we can continue

Now remember when we modified the TimeStamp method for Kunena? This is where we change it back and convert EasyDiscuss Time to Kunena Time.
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics ADD new_first_post_time int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
Code:
UPDATE xx_kunena_topics SET new_first_post_time = UNIX_TIMESTAMP(first_post_time)
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics DROP COLUMN first_post_time
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics CHANGE new_first_post_time first_post_time INT( 11 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics ADD new_last_post_time int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
Code:
UPDATE xx_kunena_topics SET new_last_post_time = UNIX_TIMESTAMP(last_post_time)
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics DROP COLUMN last_post_time
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics CHANGE new_last_post_time last_post_time INT( 11 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_messages ADD new_time int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
Code:
UPDATE xx_kunena_messages SET new_time = UNIX_TIMESTAMP(time)
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_messages DROP COLUMN time
Code:
ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_messages CHANGE new_time time INT( 11 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'

Then I went back into the Backend and do another Recount Statistics and BAM! everything works great. Like I said above, I'm not a SQL Expert so do this at your own risk, however this worked great for us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woonydanny, Rik Brown, super

More
9 years 10 months ago #4 by MaxOnTheHill
Replied by MaxOnTheHill on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
OK ... this looks great and just wondering if you can provide feedback of how this has gone a couple of months down the track.

We unfortunately migrated to EasyDicuss from our old Kunena forum around 6 months ago for a hoped better UX ... but has been horrible to work with and we want to get ourselves back on Kunena. Kunena just works and I wish we'd stayed with it and just done a heap of optimisations ... so now we have to get back where the grass is greener.

Look forward to your reply ... and experiences anyone else has had with this method ... or other transfer methods from EasyDiscuss to Kunena.

** Also, if anyone provides services for an EasyDiscuss to Kunena transfer (and possibly ongoing assistance) please reach out and make contact.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #5 by Rik Brown
Replied by Rik Brown on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
@Ubelmort

Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic work here!

Today, I just performed a EasyDiscuss 3.2.9463 conversion to Kunena 3.0.6 per your detailed instructions and everything went flawlessly.

I would add just a few clarifications for those of us who like to cut & paste the queries:

1) Add the missing end-of-query semicolon to the truncation queries -

TRUNCATE TABLE xx_kunena_categories;
TRUNCATE TABLE xx_kunena_messages;
TRUNCATE TABLE xx_kunena_messages_text;
TRUNCATE TABLE xx_kunena_topics;
TRUNCATE TABLE xx_kunena_user_topics;

2) Add the queries for DATETIME conversions -

ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics MODIFY COLUMN first_post_time DATETIME NOT
NULL DEFAULT '0000-00-00 00:00:00';

ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_topics MODIFY COLUMN last_post_time DATETIME NOT

ALTER TABLE xx_kunena_messages MODIFY COLUMN time DATETIME NOT

You made a difficult task easy. Thank you for sharing it all. -- Rik

PS: By the way, I started with vBulletin 4.x and converted to EasyDiscuss (which has a good converter) about 4 months ago before ending up at Kunena via this conversion method.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Rik Brown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woonydanny, makotosun, super

More
9 years 6 months ago #6 by super
Replied by super on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
Hello,
I like to convert to kunena as well, but i am defintaly not an expert in MYSQL stuff etc.
So i was wondering if someone is out there to do it for me.
Just let me now how much u charge for it.

More
9 years 5 months ago #7 by super
Replied by super on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
Well, hello again.

Since no one replied on my question, i started myself to convert from easy discuss > Kunena.
Thx to the posters above i was verry suprised all went well. Considering i never ever did queries in databases before (i even did not know what is was) thats a huge compliment to the posters above.
Excellent work and thaks a lot Rik and Ubelmort !
Just one note:

I had just 4 categories in Easy Discuss. After migrating they become sections wich turned to be in "no published categories" message in Kunena.
So if you like to see all the migrated posts in Kunena > Just make a new section and make the categories from easy discuss (wich become sections in Kunena) childs from the new section you created.
Bam! ;)

More
7 years 8 months ago #8 by sulpher
Replied by sulpher on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
I've tried to migrate content from EasyDiscuss to Kunena 5.0. All answers in discussions are lost. E.g. original discussion have 20 answers (messages), after migration there is the only first message.

More
7 years 3 months ago #9 by nican
Replied by nican on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
Yeah same issue here (replies to discussions are not being migrated), I guess Easydiscuss and Kunena are now different, this old method need to be updated.
Maybe is an easy fix, but I'm no expert.

More
6 years 7 months ago #10 by dyvel
Replied by dyvel on topic EasyDiscuss to Kunena
I added an extra update to kunena_messages with this code to get answers into kunena.
Code:
UPDATE #_kunena_messages AS msg SET msg.thread = msg.parent WHERE msg.parent = 0;

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds