Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Important Subscription notifications that contain whole message = SPAM

More
7 years 9 months ago #1 by crimle
Hi there

users who subscribe to topics receive e-mail notifications when new posts are added. But these e-mails often can be found in the junk mail folder. The reason for this seems to be content that is included as iframe in the e-mail. According to information by the leading German telecom provider, it is very common to block any e-mail that contain iframes.

I would suggest to include post contents in plain text format. Or at least to avoid iframes.

Thank you and kind regards
Christof

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by 810
Hi cristof, we don't use iframes in the mails, its plain text.

More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by jhebbel
I can confirm at no point are iframes used, the text of the forum post is embedded directly in the email. Not only does kunena not use iframes, but I have never seen any other email that uses them because iframes in email clients are highly incompatible: www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/email-marke...rames-work-in-email/

"leading German telecom provider" does not equal server admin or web developer.

The odds are if your messages are ending up in spam you are using PHP mail (which many providers to flag as spam) or your server is greylisted.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by crimle
It is strange, that you vehemently point out, that Kunena email notifications

- do not use iframes
- are plain text

The emails I receive are obiously HTML:

- there are different font sizes
- there are <hr> tags

If the notification cites a forum post that contains an embedded Youtube video, there IS an <iframe> in the email. I assured myself by inspecting the source code of the email. See attachment...

Kind regards
Christof
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by jhebbel

crimle wrote: It is strange, that you vehemently point out, that Kunena email notifications

- do not use iframes
- are plain text

The emails I receive are obiously HTML:

- there are different font sizes
- there are <hr> tags

If the notification cites a forum post that contains an embedded Youtube video, there IS an <iframe> in the email. I assured myself by inspecting the source code of the email. See attachment...

Kind regards
Christof

I think embedded text and plain text are being used a little ambiguously leading to confusion. The emails are HTML, but this is hardly a reason services would mark it as spam.

If the notifications are infact missing or failing to strip iFrame tags as it should in emails (even in quotes in my opinion) then you are correct this is a bug that should be addressed - @810.

But even this alone typically wouldn't get your emails sent to spam if you were using a SMTP to send your emails. If you are using joomlas default php mailer this can be seen by many email services as untrusted and possibly spoofed as the php mailer can fake most of its headers.

I propose to 810 that emails and quotes should strip image and iframe tags, perhaps replace with link.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by jhebbel.

More
6 years 7 months ago #6 by crimle
Hi there

I just wanted to report, that this bug has not been fixed yet. If the notification cites a forum post that contains an embedded Youtube video, there ist still an <iframe> in the email. This often leads to a "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" error

550-5.7.0 Your message has been rejected due to spam or virus classification.
550-5.7.0 If you feel this is inapplicable, please report the above error codes
550-5.7.0 back to [email protected] to help us fix possible misclassification.
550-5.7.0 We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your assistance!

I now changed my Kunena configuration to plain text emails. Which is in fact a pity since HTML email notifications are much prettier. If emails and quotes would strip image and iframe tags and replace them with links, the issue would probably be resolved.

Thank you and kind regards
Christof

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds