Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Development of new features

More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by ruud
Hi,
Just realising how lucky we all are here as users of Kunena that some developers took it upon themselves to jump start the Kunena project with a 'brand-new' version 4.x.

Had a discussion with another software developer who started to develop his own forum software some time back: the reason was that the requested features and needed changes in the Kunena project where not implemented or not in the time frame they where needed.
Just read another topic on a feature request where once again was pointed out that the requested feature (probably) wouldn't make it because nobody would want to give up his/her time in developing it.

I feel that with Kunena 4.x we once again have an up-to-date platform when it comes to responsiveness (mobile usage) and functionality, but I also feel that Kunena is not the front-runner any more when it comes to user interaction and functionality. There is not only 'competition' from other forum solutions (like EasyDiscuss, CjForum, etc.) but the main competition that I in my role as a Community Manager am facing is the easy of use and 'everybody uses it' platforms like linkedin and facebook.

I think that the future of Kunena is defined by how easy other developers can join and commit their changes and features, and the pace at which community generated ideas and features are discussed and decided upon and implemented.

Another challenge is that because it's open source it is free and that is easily translated in 'my wish is the developers command'... But that is not how it works and there are people who are willing to pay for features but cannot afford to pay the whole bill.

What do you think of the following idea:

If on the forum from a discussion new functionality emerges that is not yet implemented. One of the developers can give a ballpark figure for implementing that feature.
We then create a crowd funding campaign for this feature request and when the target is reached it will be implemented (and the developer gets paid for his time).

What this brings is:
1. new functionality that is really useful (people are paying for it)
2. developers get paid for their effort
3. you give the users who have no development skills a chance to actually participate (with their money)
4. the software remains open source and available for everybody

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating!"
On my forum we use these kind of campaigns to crowdfund leadership training / workshop ideas: If you like the idea you can invest in the campaign. If the targets are met then the training or workshop will be designed and organised. When the targets are not met, every body is happy because as it turned out the idea wasn't really that good (otherwise more people would have invested). The good thing is that you as an organiser know this before you start spending time and making costs needed to set up the training / workshop.

Just an idea to get a discussion started and to stop the 'assumptions' that things will not change etc.
Feel free to comment, add, bash, whatever :)

sharing = caring

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds