Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Search not working with Kunena (using Joomla on nginx)

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #1 by c_schmitz
If you look at
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/search you can see that the search box is prefilled with a default text (/en/forum) and searching is not possible.
This happened after we switched from Apache to nginx. Please note that Joomla officially supports nginx and the nginx rewrite is properly configured (as the rest of the site works just fine).

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 2M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : | author: | version: | creationdate:

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.3 | creationdate: 2013-10-20

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.3 | 2013-10-20 [ Bifrost ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.9.1 | UddeIM 3.0

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Search - Kunena Search 3.0.1 | Content - Kunena Discuss 3.0.1

Modules: Kunena Latest 3.0.0 | Kunena Search 3.0.1

Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by c_schmitz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #2 by ChaosHead

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #3 by sozzled
Ouch!

There are a few things in this topic that are quite beyond my personal experience.

1) Configuring Joomla SEO for Nginx I have no experience in this area except from what I have read in the official Joomla documentation (see Enabling Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs ) and you've probably already read that, anyway.

2) Multilanguage support in Joomla and Kunena: Multilanguage support adds a whole new dimension to the raft of issues that confront website developers these days. I don't have any personal experience in using Joomla's multilanguage support - and there have been lots of changes in this area in J! 3.x which, quite honestly, I have not had any time to look at - and I am not the best person to ask about what happens when people have their sites operating in different languages.

The only "useful" observation I might make is to quote from Matias recently (in the topic
Customize categories WHERE clause ):

Matias wrote: Kunena doesn't currently have full language support.

3) Pre-filling the search keywords text box: This is certainly something I have never seen and we will have to wait for a comment from the developers on why this is happening and why, also, it's not possible for you to search your forum. It's possible - I'm guessing - that if this issue does not arise in multilanguage websites built on Apache, that the problem may be caused by one or both of points (1) and (2) I made above.

Perhaps someone else who has experience with Nginx servers, with multilange websites and with Kunena may be able to give us some help.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #4 by c_schmitz
Hello,

I digged a bit in the code. It is definitely a issue caused by a bug in Kunena.

Mainly because the obsolete JRequest object from the Joomla API is used - which has been deprecated since 1.7 (yes, really) ;-). It seems that these jRequest routines cannot properly handle params from non-Apache webservers (these routines are very old).

The bad news is the fix is not so trivial as all jRequest calls in the search module need to be replaced.
The good news is that only the search seems to be affected by this (afaict).

Best,

Carsten

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #5 by c_schmitz
Hello,

Okay, I have to revise my analysis.

The problem is that Kunena uses the variable name 'q' for the search string.
Which happens to be the variable that Joomla uses for basic URL parsing with GET params.
The nginx rewrite recommended here is
Code:
# Support Clean (aka Search Engine Friendly) URLs</tt> location / { try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?q=$request_uri; }
There is the collision because every page prefills the 'q' variable with the URI path.

The solution is to rename the variable 'q' in Kunena so something different (I used 'qu'). This has to happen in the following places (Kunena 3.03):

*/web/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/html/search/default.php (line 41 name="q")
*/web/components/com_kunena/models/search.php (lines 25 & 67)

tldr;

'q' is a bad variable naming for the search input field and collides with nginx. Please fix it.

More
10 years 5 months ago #6 by Matias
github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/2137

Joomla shouldn't have used rewrite like that (the file is pretty new and it would have been great if they used _q=). I'll fix this for the next version (use ?query=).

What comes to JRequest calls, we really cannot stop using them as long as we support Joomla! 2.5 as JInput doesn't work in all servers...

More
10 years 3 months ago #7 by sozzled

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds