Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Images cutoff in smaller screen size

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #11 by woonydanny

sozzled wrote: ]Not necessarily. The template we're using on this site is not a fully "responsive" template that automatically adjusts everything to accommodate larger than usual images. Unless something has changed in the past couple of weeks (while I was away overseas) that someone hasn't told me about, I'm not entirely sure I know how best to advise you.

Typically, large images are resized on-the-fly by a server utility called "GD-something".

Nothing to do with responsive templates, it is the css of the shipped Kunena blue eagle css.

Thanks skybax, just deleted the !important of the width of Kunena img and it works now again! thanks for the answer :)

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by woonydanny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #12 by sozzled
woonydanny: I'm discussing this issue with the team now. Perhaps the !important qualifier is unnecessary? :unsure:

More
10 years 10 months ago #13 by Wild Duck
@skybax & woonydanny... Where is that .CSS?

More
10 years 10 months ago #14 by skybax
components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/css/kunena.forum-min.css
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wild Duck

More
10 years 10 months ago #15 by 9themestore
Hi Wild Duck,

I think, you should override in the css file of your Joomla template. I'll not be lost when you update new version.

- Please provide your site url if it has been lived.
- Please share tip if it worked fine with you.
- Don't be shy about using the "Thanks" button below if you found my comment helpful :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wild Duck

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16 by sozzled

9themestore wrote: I think, you should override in the css file of your Joomla template. I'll not be lost when you update new version.

I agree.

Before people rush into [directly] modifying the file ../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/css/kunena.default-min.css they should be aware of the problems that this can cause:

(1) The file is minified CSS and, because of that, people take the risk that they may corrupt it and make the entire CSS unworkable. People should only make changes to the Kunena template CSS as a last resort - when nothing else may seem to work - and they should not directly edit this file. Instead, it may be preferable to edit the non-minified version (../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/css/kunena.default.css) and then minify using the method described in the Wiki artcle Minified CSS (even though the Wiki article was written for a much older version of Kunena).

(2) If you change the Kunena Blue Eagle template CSS, you should be aware that any changes you make will be over-written when you upgrade to a newer version. In the past this has prevented many members of the community upgrading because they've made many changes and, fearful of the loss, they've hesitated or not upgraded when new versions are released. Eventually, when the version of Kunena that they've been using, is no longer supported and they're more or less compelled to upgrade (in order to receive help on this forum) they find themselves in a complete mess and helpless to find information that may fix problems that arise when they upgrade.

(3) With future versions of Kunena utilising the more advanced features of CSS (including .LESS), the ability to directly edit the Kunena template CSS will become increasingly more complicated and may not even be possible without a thorough understanding of how to approach these things.

In order to overcome the issues that I've just mentioned, it is always better to make changes that override the Kunena template CSS by adding extra directives to the end of their Joomla site template CSS file.

While I agree with woonydanny that this is a problem caused by the current Kunena Blue Eagle template CSS file - and it is made difficult to overcome the problem because of a !important directive added to the rule
Code:
#Kunena img { max-width: inherit !important; }
- it is not impossible to work around the problem as I have done here on this website.

As a temporary workaround, I added the following CSS rule to the end of the site template here at www.kunena.org as follows:
Code:
#Kunena img { max-width: 640px !important; }
This is not an ideal solution but it works as you can see if you look at msg #4 in this topic. You will see that the large image is no longer cut off on the right side.

I am still discussing this issue with other members of the Kunena team and we hope to fix it properly so that the temporary workaround I just described will not be necessary.

The reason that the !important modified was added to the current rule may no longer be an issue. The developers cannot remember why this rule was created this way but they think it was to overcome problems that occurred several versions ago. These reasons may not necessarily be relevant today.

Therefore, I suggest that you look at the temporary workaround I have given in this topic and choose a value - in the case of this site, the value is 640px (which matches the site template used here) - that is better suited to your own needs.

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17 by skybax

9themestore wrote: Hi Wild Duck,

I think, you should override in the css file of your Joomla template. I'll not be lost when you update new version.

I agree but this in not something that should exist in the next update :whistle: for any custom work on your template i agree use the joomla template to overwrite kunena.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #18 by sozzled

skybax wrote: I agree [that people should not edit the Kunena template CSS] but this is not something that should exist in the next update ...

I have no information that confirms this statement. This issue is still being discussed within the Kunena team and we have not yet reached any conclusions on whether this matter will be solved in K 3.0.1 which is expected to be released later this week or early next week.

As a general principle, people should not modify the Kunena Blue Eagle template CSS file if they want to make long-term changes and we rarely suggest this course of action to members of the community except as a last resort, when all other options have been exhausted, approach.

More
10 years 10 months ago #19 by Wild Duck
Ok Ok!

Don´t shoot the dishes... :lol:

If this issue is planned to solve this week or next... I can live with it until then...

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #20 by sozzled
This issue may or may not be solved this week (or this month). I have already shown how you can resolve the problem quite simply with a temporary workaround.

As I just wrote in my previous message, I have received no confirmation that the suggested change (to remove the !important directive from the current CSS rule, mentioned in this topic) is a good change or not. The only thing I can say is that we hope to have this matter fixed, some time in a future release of Kunena. This may happen later this week or it may happen in a future version. I don't control the technical specifics of what goes into Kunena; I am not a developer.

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds