Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Registered users unable to post replies on my kunena forum

More
5 years 6 months ago #1 by DSinOR
Hello, I just built a really simple joomla site with current versions of joomla, T3 Framework, and Kunena.

It was all quite easy to accomplish. Nice extension.

I wrote some threads and even some replies.

But I just found out that several people created accounts and tried to post replies, but no one has been able to get the forum to work or to be able to post a reply!

Something is not working.

I am using 2 categories in 1 section. I can reply to threads and edit posts, but the people who have visited the site have been unable to reply to a post or start a new thread.

This is a bit of an urgent problem for me.

My forum is My Sitewww.5jbond.org

It would be great if someone here could take a look. Create an account and then see if you can post a reply?

My permissions: Read = Public. Reply = Registered.

Five people have successfully registered accounts, but they say they are unable to post a reply.

Is there a known common problem that new Kunena encounter that causes this?

Thx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #2 by DSinOR
On the Configuration / General tab, I set "Send E-mails to Users" to No, because i don't need that function.

Is this an item that must be 'Yes' for the forum to work?

More
5 years 6 months ago #3 by DSinOR
Replied by DSinOR on topic more info
Perhaps the problem is a menu issue.
Before I installed Kunena, I had a simple site with 1 Main Menu.
My Main Menu had 3 Menu Items (pages).
After the Kunena install, my site had TWO menus: my main menu and the new self-installed Kunena Menu.
I did not change anything within the Kunena menu.
I edited my Forum item within my Main Menu to change the Menu Item Type to 'Kunena Forum / Home Page'.
Is that how it is supposed to be done, or did I do something wrong?
The Forum works for me, but it does weird things for all other users.
I discovered now that the Login box on the Forum page redirects some users to my site Home page and opens a Register Form below-the-fold on that home page, and you can't see it if you don't scroll down, so most people are just confused an leave at that point.
I disabled the Kunena Log In and used the Joomla login. maybe I need to look for problems there as well.
Whew. I bummed and stressed.

More
5 years 6 months ago #4 by DSinOR
OK, I figured out the System Links / Menu Item Alias thing.

That should be emphasized very in-your-face in the documentation. It's not. It's buried in the faq. I built a whole site that ran fine, and I tested the site, and i took it live, and it went down in flames because of this. I've never loaded an extension that required a Menu Item Type of System Links / Menu Item Alias with an extension item chosen for the alias.

So it was new to me, critical for the extension, and obscure in the documentation. To make things worse, the site worked fine for testing and initial content, and didn't break until people started using it.

Even now, I think the code is still whacked because my login box started redirecting to the site homepage and displaying a form below the fold.

I think that may be my only remaining problem, but I'm not sure.

Y'know, Kunena is pretty decent, but definitely any smart developer will try to think about the top 10 ways that a complete newb may hit a major snag, and then write up-front tool tips or instructions to prevent those issues. Because every new person that uses your extension is a complete newb.

Seriously, that whole experience just really sucked. And I'm not actually out of the woods yet.

I think I'll start a new thread for the log in redirect issue.

And by the way, don't put a 'Moderate New Users' option on the Configuration/Security page, located 6000 metres away from the other Moderation settings. It's a bad idea to scatter Moderate options throught the setup and configure universe. Instead, put them all together in one cozy little family so that they are easy to find and easy to change without traveling all over the place.

More
5 years 6 months ago #5 by DSinOR
and seriously, the menu item alias requirement belongs on some welcome page that pops up just after Kunena installs.

Don't say "welcome to kunena".

In huge red letters, say this:
"If you don't find and learn about menu item alias in our documentation faqs at this link xxx, or google that term on our help forum, you are in for a really shitty experience with our software because it will work while you test it and then crash and make you look stupid when people start to use it."

Also display that message at the top of the dashboard page backend. If you can, style it in flashing red letters.

K.
Thx.

More
5 years 6 months ago #6 by rich
The menu item "Alias" is a Joomla feature. You can create more then one menu item to the same target with him. This menu item should also be used in Joomla menus, if you need more menu items with the same target.
See also here:
magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue-apr-201...th-a-menu-item-alias
docs.joomla.org/Help38:Menus_Menu_Item_Menu_Item_Alias

More
5 years 1 month ago #7 by commdoor

DSinOR wrote: Even now, I think the code is still whacked because my login box started redirecting to the site homepage and displaying a form below the fold.

I wanted to ask if you ever found a solution to this? I'm not having the other problems you were having, but I am definitely having this exact same problem. Please let me know. I've spent a ton of time trying to figure this out. The Joomla forum was no help whatsoever, so I went back to trying to figure it out myself...still no luck...as expected. This one thing is holding me up from finishing a upgrade to my whole site. Kinda wish I would have left things alone now!

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds