Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Cannot Post Topic

More
2 years 3 months ago #1 by LTCreations
I followed another thread in , but none of the suggestions helped.
I've tried pretty much everything I can imagine, but there is "no" way to post a topic. When I click on the "New Topic" button (only available on the front end - unlike previous versions where I could create everything in admin) I get an error:403 Forbidden : You do not have permissions to start a new topic! Or you haven't created/published a top level category !You may not be able to visit this page because of:
  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
Since only #4 (of 6) addresses the problem when I'm already in the forum, and I've changed the link in the menu from "Registered" to "Public", there is nothing stopping me - Super Admin - from being able to use any portion of Kunena. Yet, I'm not able to create anything other than Categories - which makes no sense because a category is all I can create, and cannot assign once category as a sub-category to another.

Also, there is no way to create a "Category" on the front end.

I've already installed this particular version (v6.0.0 Beta5) twice. I thought the issues I was having may be due to an installation issue.
But when I reinstalled the same version, I was and have been unable to install the "sample data". I can click on the button, but nothing happens. I had trouble in the original installation to install the sample data, but finally got it to work after checking cache, database, etc. None of that worked for the second installation. I'm still unable to install the sample data.

While reading the post that was generated a couple of weeks ago for the previous version, I saw that using /Tools/Menu Manager/Restore Kunena Menu might work. So I did that.
The only thing that did was to wipe out the template settings I had for the forum (unknown why that had anything to do with the template) and created an addition link in my main menu which uses the menu id. As I've communicated with other Kunena moderators on that issue, I resolved to eliminate / hide the menu items that use the menu id.

I'm really struggling with trying to get v6.0.0 Beta5 to work, and no previous versions will work with Joomla 4.
I'm way too deep into the development of this new site with Joomla 4, so there is no going back to J3.
Can you provide "some" idea of when Kunena v6.0.0 Beta5 will be ready for production? If it's more than a couple of weeks, I have to find another alternative. The forum is holding up the completion of the site, and the site "must" have a forum.

I completely understand that it takes time to complete Kunena since it's all new for J4. I just need some idea of "when" I can expect to be able to use Kunena.

My development is still in production, so if you need access to the site I can do that for you.

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #2 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Cannot Post Topic
The button "Install sample data" do not work yet (should be only a redirect to the Joomla dashboard). Go to the Joomla dashboard, you will see the options for sample data.

The menu items which created by Kunena are correct, if you want to hide this tabs, you can do it in the Aurelia template setting. 

The biggest problem for now are the menus together with the navigation, for a solution we are waiting for a fix in Joomla itself. github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/35570
(I've tested this fix suggestion, and it seems, it solves many problems.)
I think, when this issue is fixed, we can release a RC version. Until when there will be a stable version, I can unfortunately not say yet, because I don't know it.

More
2 years 3 months ago #3 by LTCreations
Replied by LTCreations on topic Cannot Post Topic
The sample data is the least of my worries, but thank you for pointing out that it can be done from the dashboard.
What about posting topics? There is still no way to create topics.

I just performed the "third" installation. I was able to get the sample data installed this time, but now I'm having the same issue with the menu. I click on the "Install" button within Kunena dashboard, but it takes me to the error page.
I told myself to go through the database to see if everything related to Kunena was removed in order to get a clean install. But I forgot and just installed. So when I attempted to create the menu, I had to go through the "Tools > Menu Manager > Restore Kunena Menu". But I was finally able to get the menu installed.

Even though I left everything at default except the "Configuration > Security > Allow Guests to Post" and not moderate them, I "had" to log in before I could post. That's how I will be using the forum anyway, but I'm just saying, it's odd that there is no way to post unless you are logged in.

Is this all from the issue with the SEF menu?

I'm going to see how much I can get the forum prepared. If I have to leave the main menu item to the forum disabled for a few weeks, I can do that. Hopefully I can at least get enough working that it won't stop me from allowing people to use the forum. I won't know until I do more testing.

Thank you.

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom

More
2 years 3 months ago #4 by rich

I just performed the "third" installation.

If you want a clean new installation, it's better you uninstall Kunena complete (Dashboard -> Tools -> Uninstall Kunena)
It removes Kunena including all Kunena database tables.

What about posting topics? There is still no way to create topics.

I "had" to log in before I could post.

You can post as logged in user but not create a new topic?
The default setting of the forum is:
Registered users can read and write
Guests can only read
If you want write access for guests, you must:
1. Allow it in the configuration (tab Security - Allow Guests to Post/Write)
2. Choose a category where guests may write, and give access (category manager -> click on a category ->  tab Category Permissions)

More
2 years 3 months ago #5 by LTCreations
I understand and went through all the configurations you stated before posting, assuring that the read/write settings were as desired - guests cannot post, only read. All others were allowed to post.
The "only" thing that made it function was to uninstall and start over.
I performed the uninstall just as you suggested - several times now to get what functions I have. Each time more things function properly. But when I reinstalled, things like the avatar I had selected for my profile "reappeared" without me having to add it to my profile. That's what made me think the database wasn't cleared.
Today, I created a new profile and using that profile I was unable to add an avatar. Yes, I had the upload and options set so that it was 'supposed' to work. But it didn't until I logged out of that profile, logged in with another admin profile and added the image to the newer profile. However, that didn't resolve the issue. Even though the image (and I selected "image" instead of avatar in the configuration to see if that would help) was clearly in the profile settings, the image would "not" appear anywhere else. So wherever I would find the users name, there was the default avatar instead of the image that I confirmed is still there on the front end when I edit the profile, but the image does not appear anywhere else.
I even found that in order to use images I should upload them to /kunena/images. I didn't try that through FTP and dig into the kunena folders, but I tried adding a new folder in Joomla media, uploaded the image and...I have no idea where it was supposed to appear in order to select the image, but obviously what I created was not the correct place to create the new folder and upload the image. I can't find anywhere to "select" an image except from the front end where I would "Add" an avatar in the profile. I did that so many times....and nothing worked. Additionally, there is text saying to use the "Add files", but there is no "Add files" button.
Every day I find more areas that are not functioning properly. That's why I was going to review the database and see if there were parts left. But you stated that the uninstall will remove the database tables.
I'm pretty frustrated...

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom

More
2 years 3 months ago #6 by rich

I performed the uninstall just as you suggested - several times now to get what functions I have. Each time more things function properly. But when I reinstalled, things like the avatar I had selected for my profile "reappeared" without me having to add it to my profile. That's what made me think the database wasn't cleared.

The Kunena tables are completely removed. If the avatar is still loaded, then empty the Joomla and browser caches.

As for the rest, I can't reproduce your problems. Kunena is ready for save use after the installation (except still contained bugs), and it does not require adding folders, nor does it require changing anything in the configuration.

You should get familiar with Kunena, before you mess with the configuration. You can set the configuration back to default if you click Restore Default at the top of the configuration.

More
2 years 3 months ago #7 by LTCreations
Perhaps there is something I'm not explaining.
I've been using Kunena for many years.
I began "this" time (third installation) with default settings. When I saw that things were not functioning is when I change the config settings. I even attempted to leave the default settings on my "third" installation.
The issues I'm having are not a matter of making changes to the config or not because I've tried both. The issues I've come across are "odd".
Additionally, I am the type of person who doesn't post unless I've tried a "lot" of things to make something function. So the fact that I've posted here in Kunena is because I've exhausted all my ideas of how to get full functionality.
I'm using Helix with Joomla 4. Let's begin there. Is there a problem using Helix with Kunena? Let's stick with just the Avatar. No matter how I've attempted to use default or change the setting for the Avatar, it took me 4 times with 2 different super user accounts to upload an image that would save. Once I got it to save for the account where I wanted the image, it does "not" appear on the front end. Only the blue, default Avatar appears and I cannot find any way to change that. I've removed it several times and uploaded again. Nothing works. I see it when I'm logged in to the front end only in the upload area. Outside of the profile, the image does not appear. It also does not appear in the back end - only the blue Avatar.
It's things like that which are very frustrating. I'm not blaming Kunena. I'm just asking if anybody can point me in the right direction of where might something be causing these malfunctions. Helix is the only thing I've installed with J4 - other than JCE. But I've never had anything conflict with JCE.
I know another moderator suggested that Helix was a problem with something else. So that's why I'm asking.

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom

More
2 years 3 months ago #8 by LTCreations
No. I was unable to post / create a new topic - period. I installed Kunena a third time and then the post function worked.

YouTube.com/@SEO-Tom

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #9 by rich
Yes, there have been problems with this template from time to time. But in general it should work.
Also, with JCE there were sometimes issues, especially if the optimization was also applied to Kunena.

But Joomla 4.0 is a completely different matter, and there is no experience with other extensions yet. Even template authors still have issues with customization for Joomla 4.0.
While Kunena 6.0 is a beta version and not yet ready for use on a live site, but no tester has reported the issues you are having. And I am also not able to reproduce these errors.
So you should test without your two extensions to find out what the issue is.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by rich.

More
2 years 3 months ago #10 by rich
Found the error, but it could have been easier if I knew you were using .gif images as avatars.Try png or jpg avatars. 
github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/8619

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds