Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved Reinstalling Joomla! files after being hacked

More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by Oscarfishlover
I am in the midst of reinstalling all my core files. When I reinstall the Kunena forum component, will I have to do redo all the sections and categories again, or well they automatically appear? I know that everything will be in place in the database, I'm just not sure what will happen after I reinstall the software for the forum.

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Do-you have keeped the kunena tables (nammed *_kunena_*) in your database ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3 by Oscarfishlover
Not entirely sure what you mean. My database is exactly the same as it was when it was on the website, I've just got to reinstall it when I put everything back in place.

I wanted to ask another question regarding uploading folders with lots of images and avatars. Paraguay and I have 12,000 members on my website. That is one hell of a lot of avatars that takes literally ages to either upload or download/delete. Is there any way of uploading these individual folders a little quicker? I was wondering if I could zip the folder to make it small in size, then months is uploaded, unzip it. Does that make sense

Mind you, I shall be using Akeeba so I think this may reduce everything in size already, can't remember, I haven't used it for ages.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Oscarfishlover.

More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by xillibit
If the Kunena tables are still here, you can launch the installation of Kunena 4.0.6 and the data will be here.

For upload the images and attachments, if you have SSH access you can zip it and upload it.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #5 by sozzled

Oscarfishlover wrote: I am in the midst of reinstalling all my core files. When I reinstall the Kunena forum component, will I have to do redo all the sections and categories again, or well they automatically appear? I know that everything will be in place in the database, I'm just not sure what will happen after I reinstall the software for the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes.

One of my [last remaining J! 1.5] websites was recently hacked—most of the Joomla PHP files were destroyed—but my Kunena-based forum was unaffected. As I have written before in this place, there are three essential things that you need in order to install or re-install Kunena on a Joomla website:

1. the Joomla user database tables (including the Joomla ACL table);
  2. the Kunena database tables; and
  3. the attachment files

It is possible to re-install Kunena even if some of the original tables are missing. The forum sections and categories are defined in the table _kunena_categories. As long as you have this table, your will not have to redo your forum sections and categories. When you distill Kunena down to its very "core", it consists of three database tables: _kunena_categories, _kunena_messages, _kunena_messages_text. If you lose any of these three tables you can, basically, kiss your old forum good-bye. The other database tables are important but they are really the "icing on the cake". If any database table is missing, at the time you perform the Kunena installation procedure, it will be added again but, obviously, with default column values.

Oscarfishlover wrote: I wanted to ask another question regarding uploading folders with lots of images and avatars. I was wondering if I could zip the [files from my old site] ... then unzip [them on my new site]. ... I shall be using Akeeba so I think this may reduce everything in size already, can't remember, I haven't used it for ages.

Short answer to your question is yes. You can use Akeeba Backup to create an archive of the avatars and attachments files, copy the .JPA (or .ZIP) archive file to your reconstructed site, and then use Akeeba Kickstart to unzip the files into their same relative locations. There's only one condition for this to be able to work: the condition is that you can login to the backend of your old/hacked site and that you can still use Akeeba Backup there.

I would have used this method except that I could not login to the Joomla administrator part of my hacked website. Under conditions like those you would need some other mechanism of making an archive file (in .ZIP or some other format). As xillibit wrote, if you have direct console access to both sites—the hacked site and the site you're reconstructing—then you could perform the zipping and unzipping if you are a "dab hand" at using SSH commands. SSH is not for total novice users.

The short answer, however, is yes.

Sorry to hear you had these troubles, mate. You know where to find me if you ever need one-on-one guidance/reassurance or whatever else I can do to help.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #6 by Oscarfishlover
I hadn't got around to updating to the latest kunena version, I think I still had that 3.4 installed. Can I go ahead and install the latest version, or do I have to install the previous version I was using then go through the updates until I reached the latest version?

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7 by sozzled
After you have recovered your database files, the attachments and avatars, you can install whichever version of Kunena you feel comfortable using. You can use the latest K 4.0 if you like, or you can use K 3.0.8 if you prefer. The answer (about using K 3.0.8) depends on what version of Kunena you were using before you got hacked.

It's possible to go back to K 3.0.8 (if you were using K 4.0.x before) but you have to make a small change to the _kunena_config table.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #8 by 810
No,

1) Import database
2) copy the basic joomla files, to your ftp. and the configuration file.
3) login on the backend,Update joomla,
4) Install the lasted kunena version.
5) copy your attachments/avatars to the new site
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by 810.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #9 by Oscarfishlover
Okay, this is where I am at right now. I have my website back in place with all new files and all my content still intact. So that part of the reinstallation went really well, must admit I was panicking a little bit. So all I need to do now is to the next important step and that is to install the community forum again.

So I will install the forum software again and hope that all the tables in the database marry up properly and I still have my 500,000 postings and 13,000 members.

One of the biggest headaches that I have found is that because I have so many members I'm finding that the avatar folder, plus some of the image folders are absolutely huge. It took a long time to download both images and avatars folders from the kunena section, God knows how long it will take to upload them again. I was wondering if there is any way I can zip these folders, upload them and then unzip them again, is this possible?

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

More
8 years 5 months ago #10 by Oscarfishlover
The reinstallation of the community forum software seem to go without incident. I've now got my forum back complete with all categories and posts, plus members. Looks like it's just the big task of uploading the avatars and images now.

Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2

Time to create page: 0.390 seconds