Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved New Installation Failed!

More
10 years 5 months ago #1 by RDNx
As per the title, I am having difficulty installing Kunena V3.0.3_2010-10-20 on a new Joomla 3.1.5 site.

The new site was started using a Gavick Pro "quick start" installation, with associated K2, and a couple of third-party components/plugins.

I have carefully check the Kunena minimum installations requirements and my server meets and/or exceeds all of these.

The following is the database and PHP versions.

MySQL Database: 5.5.24
PHP Version: 5.4.3

I upload / install Kunena and it appears to do quite a bit of the install, then just comes up with the following,

Now on my site, I have the Kunena Component menu, plugins, etc, however when I try to run/configure any of them, I get the above message.

From something I read on these forums, about incompatible plugins, so I tried disabling ALL plugings, but that didn't change the result.

I suspect it is something simple, but have no idea how to find it.

I know the basic web server configuration (e.g. db and PHP) is capable of running the Kunena forums as we used in on a Joomla 2 site off the same server. We also started the Joomla 2 site with a Quickstart from Gavick, so there shouldn't be too much incompatibilities there.

I have currently run out of ideas to try, and am about to "move on" and find some forum component that I can get to work, which would be a shame because I liked Kunena, but have mostly run out of time.

I thought I would give it one last shot with an appeal to help here.

Whilst I am technically capable, website (PHP) debugging is not my strong suit.

Any ideas/thoughts would be gratefully accepted.

RD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled

RDNx wrote: The new site was started using a Gavick Pro "quick start" installation ...

Sometimes these "quick start" installations are horribly broken and you can spend more hours trying to debug what was broken than if you used the traditional method to install Joomla.

This is the traditional method:

1) Download the Joomla installation kit from www.joomla.org

2) Unzip the installation files on your PC.

3) Use FTP to copy all of these files to a "clean"/empty folder, e.g. in the folder (root)/newsite.

4) Use cPanel to create a database that will house your new Joomla website.

5) Create the SQL username that has full privileges on your new (empty) database that you created in step 4.

6) Go to you new site http://(sitename)/newsite and the installation procedure will automatically start.

This takes about one hour to do. The longest part of the procedure is step 3 (waiting for all the files to copy).

If you do not fully understand what I have written, ask the forum at forum.joomla.org

After you have installed Joomla, use the installation procedure described in K 3.0 Installation Guide .

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3 by RDNx
Thanks heaps for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, in this case re-starting from scratch is not an option. We have already put a considerable amount of work into the new site and the forum capability whilst nice, not critical to our current success.

Furthermore, we have had some experience with this particular template, and doesn't appear to be "broken" other than trying to get Kunena to install in this case (note, Kunena worked with this template in a previous version of Joomla).

Obviously suggesting a fresh/clean install is likely to solve the Kunena installation problem, but creates significant other issues in this real-world case.

Notwithstanding, thanks for your suggestion.

RD

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
Try re-installing K 3.0.3 again using the method shown in the Wiki or, failing that, unistall everything you've already installed that relates to Kunena, drop all the Kunena-related database tables, try installing again. Try installing with Joomla debug mode turned on, check the site error logs, make sure the folder permissions are correctly set, etc., etc.

There's not much we can do to help you repair the damage that's preventing you from installing K 3.0.3. I suspect this may be one of those cases of Which comes first: the template or the forum? . I don't know what else to suggest apart from "getting back to the basics". Sorry.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #5 by RDNx
Understand the issues and the difficulties here, and appreciate your support/suggestion. I will give it a try.

Thanks

RD

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #6 by thientrang1992
I often use forum.joomla.org/ to update techology. I setup Kunena 3.0.3.thanks
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by thientrang1992. Reason: not understand.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7 by RDNx
Replied by RDNx on topic New installation failed!
I turned on the browser debugging... and saw the following...

html: "Uncaught Exception: Table 'databasename.edu_edu_kunena_aliases' doesn't exist SQL=SHOW COLUMNS FROM `EDU_edu_kunena_aliases`"
success: false

From this error it appears the code is adding the database table prefix twice before trying to run the query (and obviously failing).

Just prior to this step the Kunena installation successfully created a set of database tables with a single prefix and these tables are happily sitting in the database. So there cannot be a lot wrong with the basic Joomla installation configuration.

My guess is that some configuration file has an incorrect value, but I'm having difficult finding it. Any ideas where this query is getting this incorrect information?

Thanks, RD

More
10 years 5 months ago #8 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic New installation failed!
Hello,

It will help if you can put here your Kunena report configuration settings ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
10 years 5 months ago #9 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic New installation failed!
I've seen this issue before, but I've never been able to reproduce it. It almost looks like that there's a bug in some sites which causes Joomla to return the prefix 2 times if you use all capital letter prefix in Joomla configuration.

What is your prefix in Joomla configuration vs database?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #10 by RDNx
Replied by RDNx on topic New installation failed!

Matias wrote: I've seen this issue before, but I've never been able to reproduce it. It almost looks like that there's a bug in some sites which causes Joomla to return the prefix 2 times if you use all capital letter prefix in Joomla configuration.

What is your prefix in Joomla configuration vs database?

You are a legend! Problem Solved!

Yes, I did have the prefix in the Joomla database configuration as uppercase EDU, which didn't seems to effect anything else, however, once I changed it to lowercase edu, the Kunena installation completed without error, and appears to be working fine now.

Thank-you all very much for your assistance.

RD

To help people who might have a similar problem in the future, and are quickly scanning this thread...

This installation problem was caused by using uppercase in the Joomla Database Settings, Database Table Prefix. Setting the prefix to lowercase solved this issue.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by RDNx.

Time to create page: 0.373 seconds