Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Edit the profiles of others

More
8 years 9 months ago #1 by Skaas
I have trawled around the forum in search of similar topics and have seen a few and am yet to see any posts as to a possible resolution.

Am I to believe there is no way for an admin to edit a kunena profile of another member from the backend of a joomla system?

I love kunena and have stuck by it for a good time, I have had little reason to question it until now, however it would be very beneficial in this particular project to be able to edit the full profiles of kunena users from the "Back-End".

Is there even a practicle way to do this from the front end?

I am puzzled as to why these fields are not editable by Super Users.

Any response at all would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Edit the profiles of others
Although it may be possible to modify a component to do almost anything that you could want it to do (and, with a few days of work it might be possible to do this kind of thing in Kunena) there are a few reasons why I would recommend strongly against something like this being done with Kunena (or any web-based discussion forum product for that matter).

Theoretical discussion about the coding changes aside, there are ethical hurdles—some might even question the legalility of the proposal—that you would need to consider if this were possible.

When I join a website I do so in the knowledge that my personal particulars will be protected and my privacy maintained. If I feel that my privacy may, in any way, be compromised then I will not register at a website. These privacy concerns and the way that a website may use (or misuse) my personal information should be clearly outlined in a site's terms of use and privacy policy .

I accept that there may be reasons to change a user's registration on a website. Joomla allows the site administrator to change a user's username, password and a couple of other things.

As far as the forum is concerned, a user should be allowed to amend their user profile in ways that are consistent with the site's terms of use. For example, a user should be able to set their forum preferences, their "status", their gender, avatar image and signature as long as they do not use words or images that are inconsistent with the site's terms of use or that may offend other members of the community.

In the event that a user's forum profile may be inconsistent with a site's terms of use or forum code of conduct, then an administrator or forum moderator can remove some things (e.g. their signature, avatar or, indeed, all of their profile information) as part of the banning procedure. The backend allows the site administrator to do similar things, too and also allows the administrator to change the user's forum signature.

This has been accepted practice in all web-based discussion forums that I have used over the past 20 years. This has been the way things have operated in Kunena for the last 7 years.

Yes, there have been other discussions on this forum about this idea and, on each occasion, I have written similarly.

Yes, it's theoretically possible to make changes like this (if you have the enthusiasm, the energy and the skill to undertake the programming) but one should always be extremely careful what one wishes for. There are good reasons why the methodology has been implemented in the way you see it operate today. Although, I agree, it may be a little frustrating for site administrators who are tempted to amend the details of a user's forum profile that they may disagree with, I believe that it should be the user's responsibility to amend those details and no-one else's.

We can disagree but that's my opinion and I see no reason for me to change my opinion.

I hope this helps you understand the situation with a little more clarity and gives you the opportunity to think carefully about the implications of having this feature implemented on your site.

More
8 years 9 months ago #3 by Skaas
Replied by Skaas on topic Edit the profiles of others
No.... it is unhelpful in this case.

I understand the underlaying policies of privacy, though these can be accessed via other means if as you say, savvy enough..... irregardless of ethics, having access to the databases directly for example.

There are cases where this would prove useful as a "Feature" for those with ownership to said site, whom via morales would not interfere with said data.

In this case it is clearly stated that the information is required by administration and users agree to impart with, for a degree of "Safety" within this particulars community outreach.

There is no malicious intent, mereley a question of being able to edit the forum profile from the backend, in particular the "Personal Text" field.

The personal text shows under a forum users rank image in a similar way to the signature and therefore fully viewable (I also know i can hide this but wish to utilise it)........ we can edit the signature from the backend, so why not for example the "Personal Text" field?

I appreciate your personal opinions and time for your comment but disagree with the purpose of idealistic usage

Time to create page: 0.801 seconds