Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question How to use videos

More
9 years 11 months ago #1 by N6REJ
How to use videos was created by N6REJ
The gazillions of video options are confusing and I can't seem to find any documentation on what currently works and what doesn't.
how can I embed video's into a topic WITHOUT using another extension.
We are switching to easysocial and unlike jomsocial it doesn't yet support video. But will soon, so I don't want to have to move video's when it does.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic How to use videos

N6REJ wrote: The gazillions of video options are confusing and I can't seem to find any documentation on what currently works and what doesn't.

Neither can I!

Over the past 5+ years that I have been using Kunena, I have asked the testing teams to test what things work and what things don't. When we do not receive feedback from the testing team there is also no subsequent follow-up to remove the things that may have worked, once upon a time, but have not since been tested from the current version of Kunena. Years ago people asked the developers to add all kinds of weird and wonderful video formats; most of those who asked for these things have long gone and who knows whether the video providers even exist today. The consequence of this failure to verify that the "gazillions of video options" are even required is that the situation is now as you find it ... in other words, no-one can give you a definitive answer.

I know, for a fact, that you can embed YouTube videos and Vimeo videos in K 3.0 (because I have used them myself). For example, see msg #3 of the topic Configuration Report in which I have inserted a video.

I know nothing about EasySocial or whether using that component may impact on your use of Kunena.

N6REJ wrote: How can I embed videos into a topic WITHOUT using another extension.

I am not sure that I understand this question. If you mean "Can I play a video that I have stored on my own server and play it using Kunena?" then I think we've answered that question before. However the answer to your question probably requires a little more understanding about what you are trying to do.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: N6REJ

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #3 by N6REJ
Replied by N6REJ on topic How to use videos
unfortunately @ this moment easysocial does not support video's like jomsocial does. This will be fixed in 1.3.0, so for now we either upload our video's onto the server and display them in kunena ( probably best case ) or use youtube/vimeo since those seem to be the only 2 that work.
Theoretically using divx, or flash SHOULD work but if so idk how to do it.
I don't want to add yet another extension to the site because as soon as easysocial supports video's it will be unnecessary and I'm told 1.3.0 is just a few months away.

p.s. you probably have answered this question before but I can't seem to find the answers on the documentation nor do I remember how w/o using some extra extension.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by N6REJ.

More
9 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled

N6REJ wrote: p.s. you probably have answered this question before but I can't seem to find the answers on the documentation nor do I remember how w/o using some extra extension.

I'm not sure if I have answered the question before because I can't remember the specific question. :S

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #5 by N6REJ
Replied by N6REJ on topic How to use videos
Q: How can we embed a video that lives on our site, OR upload a video as an attachment without using a extension.
for example...
alterego-of-pwi.info//images/videos/10/Lma6R7tDjrf.mp4 doesn't seem to work with.
Code:
[video]http://alterego-of-pwi.info//images/videos/10/Lma6R7tDjrf.mp4[/video]
as you can see above.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by N6REJ.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #6 by sozzled
Some time ago (a few years ago, I think), similarly to you I had a couple of videos that I hosted on my website. This was around the time of K 1.5 and, at that time, the videos played well in Kunena.

I will research this question for you but my vague recollection is that (around the time of K 1.6) the ability to do things in this way was affected and, unless you did "something (I can't remember what that something was) you could not use the technique
Code:
[video]http://<mydomain>/<filepath>/<filename>.<extension>[/video]
as you described it.

I have a suspicion that there's a plugin that may make this feasible (but I've never used it myself) and searching for "allvideos" in this forum may shed some further light on the approach.

I'll get back to this topic when I've had a good look around the forum going back over the years ... unless you find what I was looking for before I do. ;)
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds