Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question SEO concern: have I set this properly?

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #11 by sozzled

willtrd wrote: i didn't mean anything negative or that you were not using with good intensions.

No offence taken. I was only stating a few simple facts. B)

We do not do anything special here. We do not attempt to add "meta information" to Joomla menus.

willtrd wrote: i have heard a lot about forums doing this.

I don't spend much time following the commentary and I don't know beans about "other" forums. :lol:

willtrd wrote: could you please address the meta information in the kuena menus?

How would you like me to do that? As I have mentioned several times in this topic, a few people have complained about the lack of means to enter meta information (and have it "take root") as far as Kunena is concerned. I think you will agree that there's been much complaining (perhaps with the expectation that the Kunena team will consider this a top priority) but not much movement. The Kunena team is currently focused on developing K 3.1—overhauling the look and feel of Kunena—but there are no current plans to extend current functionality in the SEO arena.

There is no company behind Kunena; everyone who contributes to Kunena is a hobbyist, enthusiast or professional web developer who gives their time freely to this project - volunteers every one of us. Our hope is to make Kunena the most reliable, scalable, durable and robust forum component for Joomla that we can make it and to give people the best solution to meeting their forum needs. The forum is a self-help community-driven resource for users to help one another. Our job, in moderating the forum, is not necessarily to answer every question but, rather, to point people in the right direction where they can find the answers.

What would be ideal is for someone who has true skill—instead of rank amateurs like me—to come forward and volunteer to work with the team to resolve all of these issues. The problem is that the Kunena team is small and hugely overworked; I'm busy, you're busy, we're all busy. I'm sorry that I may not be able to help you better.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimei, willtrd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #12 by willtrd
i understand. i didnt realize that there was no support team behind the kuena forum. i think it would be most adviseable to charge a small fee for "professional" members so they can offer support. time is valueable however a product without support, well doesnt make much sense from a professional standpoint.
HOWEVER i think it is absolutely amazing that people such as your self & the team are willing to put in the work for free for all others:)
there is only one other thing that i would like to get figured out & i will no longer be posting much on the forum for support as i will figure it out in time.
1. my kuena tabs keep disappearing (any idea why?)
2. i am not receiving any notifications when people post on the forum (i have set myself as a moderator for all categories in the kuena backend)

if you would prefer i post this elsewhere will be happy to do so. if you could be so kind as to offer you opinion/expertise on this i would be greatful.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #13 by sozzled

willtrd wrote: if you would prefer i post [these off-topic questions] elsewhere will be happy to do so.

Yes, please. We like to stay on-topic. You have raised two separate, unrelated matters that deserve a separate topic for each.

On the first of those matters, it may pay to look at Kunena Menu issues

(Footnote: I didn't mean that there is no "support team" behind Kunena. I meant that there is no corporate entity that provides the free support for the free software.)
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #14 by Shimei
I don't mean to criticize Kunena, so please do not receive my feedback as so as I find it to be the best forum solution for Joomla!.

What I am noticing is that I have just about an equal amount of pages published in Joomla! as articles. Then I have an almost equal amount of pages published in Kunena. I use my forum for lots of resource articles regarding theology.

The pages published by Joomla! are the backbone of search traffic coming inbound - organic wise. The pages published by Kunena receive only a fraction. I am not an SEO spec., the extent of the SEO that I have done to Kunena out of the box is using "no number rereplacer" out of Joomla!'s Jed, which allows me to search for all "no follow" attributes and replace with nothing, therefore making it as close to Joomla! as possible. The traffic, however, is nothing like the published pages in Joomla!. I'm using different content for the different components so I don't have a fair assessment regarding which is better, or where the problem may be. All I know is that SEO has come a long ways in Kunena in the last year, mainly with the meta descriptions which were duplicating because of the sequence in which the meta generators generated topic descriptions in the past.

My last comment is a suggestion. I realize that Kunena is a small team of dedicated "engineers" on the project. I would really like to see an overall thorough assessment done regarding SEO, which in the end could be used to help market Kunena. As a suggestion I would donate if your team would consider a donation drive for the specific purpose of developing the SEO, perhaps a banner along the side to select donations to develop SEO? By the way, I try to donate each time Kunena does an update already, but I am sure that additional funding would be an incentive for the team to further investigate this, or at least it would quiet the critics regarding it, since SEO seems to be such a black art.

Thanks

(Many thanks, too, for your financial contribution to the project - sozzled)
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled. Reason: Add thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds