Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Kunena 3.0 performances

More
10 years 5 months ago #1 by goshillo
Planning a forum that will grow to 100/150 average concurrent users, coming from the same country and posting test and images. Forecast to reach a very big number of posts.
In your opinion Kunena 3 and Joomla 3, compared with the IP.board or VBulletin, could manage the work with acceptable performances?
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #2 by troopman
Replied by troopman on topic Kunena 3.0 performances
I've got the same issues like this
can anyone help us?
kinh doanh gi co loi | kinh mat thoi trang | chua cam cum |

nothing venture, nothing gain
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by troopman.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3 by Shimei
Replied by Shimei on topic Kunena 3.0 performances
Wouldn't other variables such as server specifications greatly impact that? I mean no matter the software you're using, I doubt that shared hosting would support those kind of numbers.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena 3.0 performances
G'day, goshillo and troopman, and welcome to Kunena.

It's difficult to answer this question with any certainty even by giving examples of where Kunena forums are used elsewhere that involve comparable numbers. As a general answer to the question "Can Kunena handle large numbers of concurrent user sessions, growing to a sizeable volume of messages posted?" our opinion is that Kunena can do this.

goshillo wrote: Planning a forum that will grow to 100/150 average concurrent users, coming from the same country and posting test and images.

The internet is international; web sites cross international boundaries. Therefore it does not seem appropriate for me to limit my response to your narrow terms of reference, unless you are planning a corporate intranet behind a firewall, because once you have a website on the internet people can access it from just about anywhere, can't they?

Here are a couple of examples of websites that use Kunena.
  • Community Builder ( www.joomlapolis.com ): When I looked a few moments ago there were 228 members logged-in.

• Joomlabamboo ( www.joomlabamboo.com ): A few moments ago 86 members logged-in.

• SOL Debat ( www.sol.dk/debat/kategorier ): I cannot tell you how many members are online concurrently, but there are several million messages posted on this Danish-language forum.

It is impossible to know if a shared hosting plan will accommodate your requirements; I do not even know if this is what either or both of you were considering. The performance of any website is dependent on the choice of hosting provider and there's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. In effect, you get what you pay for. If you purchase a really cheap hosting plan (for about $10 a year) you will probably find that your requirements will eventually outstrip your capacity to service those needs. On the other hand, if you are serious about providing high-available, fault-tolerant, high-volume internet-based services, you may want to consider (as most of us who operate in these kinds of environments have to consider) a dedicated web server. There's just no way of being able to forecast these needs without knowing your business plan, your business requirements and the expectations of your users.

If you have previous management experience of IPB or vBulletin (or some free-standing web-based forum product) - I do not have this specific experience - in a high-traffic, high-volume forum environment, then you can make your own assessment (and comparison between Kunena and those things) yourselves.

If you are unsure of the performance capacity analysis there are other ways of addressing this. One way is to conduct a pilot test that simulates the load on the platform where you plan to develop your forum. Another way - the way that is usually favoured by those who build sites that generate income - is to engage a paid consultant to undertake the necessary research and produce a report of the options for consideration.

In general terms, I would say that Kunena will accommodate your needs (eliminating the other factors that I've mentioned in my reply to you).
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 4 months ago #5 by goshillo
Replied by goshillo on topic Kunena 3.0 performances
Sozzled, many thanks for your answer and sorry for my late answer.
Yes, we are prepared to go on a dedicated server. We will try to start on virtual server with the possibility to scale up.
I agree this is a very difficult subject to forecast.
My question was targeted to know if, as far as someone is aware of, exist any "heavy" load kunena forum.
Regards

More
10 years 4 months ago #6 by Jiminimonka
Replied by Jiminimonka on topic Kunena 3.0 performances
The latest version of Kunena is very tightly coded, so there is minimal server impact even for very large forums, and the code is continually being improved.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds