Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Making the Skype profile button clickable

More
10 years 6 months ago #1 by kbrookes
Hi there,

Most of the other social profile buttons are clickable - why not skype? The format is pretty simple:
Code:
href="skype:username?call"

Just wondering if there's a reason?

And if not, is it possible to modify with a template override?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, kbrookes, and welcome to Kunena.

Thank you for your question about making the Skype username clickable in Kunena, Joomla or any page on the Internet no matter how the page was developed. While there is certainly general support for most hyperlinks to operate by using your web browser to run the appropriate application (depending, of course, on what is installed on the computer that you are using at the time) there are additional issues involving how to instantiate Skype.

As an example, when you see the hyperlink www.kunena.org your browser uses the HTTP protocol to do what browsers do best ... display a web page. When your browser sees [email protected] your browser will attempt to instantiate whatever mail client application is installed on the computing device that you are using.

It is possible, to run PC commands from from a web browser but the syntax is dependent on the operating system of your computer. In your example you suggested that you could use the syntax "skype:username?call" in the sense that you could create a hyperlink. :side:

Try entering that string of characters into the address of your browser and see what happens. It just doesn't work.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 6 months ago #3 by kbrookes
Hi Sozzled,

I completely understand what you're saying - can I direct you to this link, however:

thinksync.com.au/zsocial/email/2013/email-sig-kelsey.html

I'm using that exact syntax with no addition plugins to handle it in my browsers.

In each case it either launches skype, or asks for permission do so via external permissions request.

Admittedly I haven't tested on Linux, but my client's share of Linux-based traffic is pretty low.

While it's not a standard href format, it does actually work :)

Regards,

Kelsey

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds