Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question E-mail Subscription Link & Spoof Guest Users

More
10 years 9 months ago #1 by ozzie1989
Hello all,

I have several of my users who check the 'remember me' box when logging into the website. If they click the link in a subscription e-mail generated from Kunena it takes them into the forum but the forum then displayes the Access Denied, "You do not have permissions to access this page." error message. If they hit the refresh button, the thread loads fine, but always goes back to the first page. Any thoughts?

Other users are fine as when they click the link in the e-mail it prompts them to login, and when they do it takes them to the last post correctly.

Also, I have another issue whereby in my statistics section I am showing several guest users even though all permissions in Joomla and Kunena are set to 'Registered'. Whilst I don't doubt that guests are unable to access my forum, it is disconcerting for my users who think guests are being allowed access. Any thoughts?

---

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 100M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : beez5 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.0 | creationdate: 2013-05-15

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.0 | 2013-05-15 [ Wanga ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 3.0

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 3.0.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Can we try to break down these issues into smaller, more manageable parts.

Let's look first at the question about the Remember Me checkbox. As far as I know, this checkbox exists for those people who use a web browser and do not have some kind of "remember what form fields I used last time I visited this website" feature. On submitting the form, the Remember Me checkbox causes Kunena to write a cookie on the user's PC and the cookie is used to populate the form fields (at least, that's my understanding of what it's used for and maybe I'm wrong).

But checking the Remember Me checkbox does not automatically login the user to the site ... and I think that's where the difference lies in understanding what this issue is all about. Just because the Username and Password fields are filled in with the details of the account that was used the last time the person accessed your website from that particular PC - remember that cookies only exist on the PC where you accessed a website from - this does not mean that a user is logged-in simply by visiting a web page. The user still has to press the Login button.

Further, the ability to "remember" the contents of form fields depends on the platform and the browser that you used. When I access the Kunena website from my iPad, the form fields are never populated with the information that I used between when I last accessed the site and when I turned off my iPad. Safari for iPad does not seem to have any "store cookies" or "store form field" information (at least, not that I have been able to discover).

So can we first eliminate the factors that I have described above?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ozzie1989

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #3 by ozzie1989
Thanks for that information.

The 'Remember Me' function in Joomla, on my website at least, definately keeps the user logged in until they log out on that particular device. You are right it uses a Cookie to do this.

This is how my members use the function and they report that even if they don't visit the website for a week or more they are still logged in when they return?

I have tested it myself and can easily re-create the issue by checking the 'Remember Me' box - I can go directly to any link on the website that's only accessible to registered users and it works fine, but if the first page I go to is a Kunena page I get the access denied error I mention above. This only applies to external links opening up the website, if you are already on the website and use the menu etc to access the forum it all works fine.

Any help appreciated :) thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by ozzie1989.

More
10 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled

ozzie1989 wrote: The 'Remember Me' function in Joomla, on my website at least, definItely keeps the user logged in until they log out on that particular device. You are right it uses a Cookie to do this.

I do not think that's how Joomla works at all. Perhaps if you asked the Joomla forum for this information, and post the considered reply from one of the members of the Joomla development team here, there might be a dissenting view.

A user remains logged-in for as long as the session cookie is "alive" when the session cookie expires the user is logged-out. The expiry time for a user's Joomla session is defined by the value (in minutes) of

Joomla Global Configuration » Server » Session Settings » Session Lifetime

Kunena also has a session setting (a value in seconds), defined by

Kunena Forum » Configuration » General » Basic Settings » Session Lifetime

When people have problems with users being "logged-out" unexpectedly, we have discussed the suggested arrangement where you should define these two values the same. That is, if you have a Joomla Session Lifetime of 15 minutes (which is the default) then you should, likewise, set the Kunena Session Lifetime to 1200 seconds (which is not the default). The Kunena Session Lifetime is important for

... access rights recalculation, whoisonline display and NEW indicator. Once a session expires beyond that timeout, access rights and the NEW indicator are reset.

As far as the possibility that a user can login, close a web browser page and revisit the site a week later and expect to pick up from where they left off before, that's not only unusual, I have never heard of such a possibility occurring. This, to me, would pose a risk to security by allowing anyone to use someone else's PC and do all manner of things without the former user being aware of them.

More
10 years 9 months ago #5 by robinwave
this is great information. Thanks ozzie1989

More
10 years 9 months ago #6 by ozzie1989

sozzled wrote: As far as the possibility that a user can login, close a web browser page and revisit the site a week later and expect to pick up from where they left off before, that's not only unusual, I have never heard of such a possibility occurring. This, to me, would pose a risk to security by allowing anyone to use someone else's PC and do all manner of things without the former user being aware of them.

This is a feature on most websites, the biggest one I can think of is Google. If I check the 'remember me' box when loggin into Goole, when I go back on my PC later that day, the day after or even a week after I can still access all my Google freatures (e-mail, drive etc.) without being prompted for a login.

After all, I am the only one who uses my PC and I have a password on it so why not?

Before I take this any further I will speak to the Joomla guys to confirm if this feature is working correctly on my site and I'll check the session timers (although I don't actually have an issue with users being logged out of either Joomla or Kunena, as Kunena even displays their name when it denies them access).

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds