Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Blocking certain posts from certain users

More
10 years 2 months ago #1 by maspegren
I am looking for a way to block all users under a certain age from certain forum posts. Is this possible with Kunena? Is there an add-on possibly? The age of the user is a radio button option within Community Builder. I am a fairly decent programmer, so if there are any coding suggestions, this could be useful too. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, maspegren, and welcome to the community.

We've had discussions on this kind of question before. It's not really a function of Kunena to limit what people can post because of their age and, as far as I know, there's no "add-on" to achieve this (unless you write something yourself), but there are ways that you can control access to, and posting rights within, your forum based on whatever criteria you want to use.

The first place I suggest that you look is User age detect and redirect .

What you could do (assuming that you have asked people the question "Are you old enough?" to begin with) is to create certain categories that are not appropriate for children and use Joomla ACL permissions on those categories, assign those permissions to your adult members and, with this added security in place, children would not be able to view and/or post in those categories. It's fairly straightforward and Kunena has the means to control who can view, who can post and who can reply to topics in restricted categories.

I hope this helps.

More
10 years 2 months ago #3 by maspegren
Wouldn't your solution assume I would have to manually assign each userage user to a "kid" access level as soon as they register based on how they answer my age registration question? This can't be done automatically can it? Currently each registered user is set to the "registered" access level automatically as soon as they register.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
I am assuming that you want to allow "kids" to register at your website and be permitted to view (all or some) parts of your forum but not be allowed to post messages in (all or some) parts of it. Is my assumption correct?

The answer is not that difficult but the answer really depends on the question. I'm just making sure that I fully understand your question and what it is that you want to do. :)

maspegren wrote: This can't be done automatically can it? Currently each registered user is set to the "registered" access level automatically as soon as they register.

Actually, it can be done automatically; it's just a matter of setting an option in the new user registration "policy" within Joomla - although it may depend on which version of Joomla you're currently using. ;)
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 2 months ago #5 by maspegren
We actually didn't want the underage registrant to be able to post OR view certain categories of posts. The user is actually registering through Community Builder too, not Joomla.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
I need to be absolutely sure that I understand the requirement.

1) You allow underage people to register at your website: true or false?

2) You allow allow underage people to view certain categories but not other categories: true or false?

Community Builder has a feature (if I remember right - it's been a couple of years since I last looked at the product) that you can purchase called CB Subs. With this product you can add some added permissions to the users who join your website. I have a feeling (and I could be wrong) that tweaking the Kunena - Community Builder integration plugin to use CB's access methodology, it may be possible that CB works with Joomla's ACL permissions settings; this is probably a question that you should ask at Joomlapolis.

But there are other ways that you can achieve a solution without relying on CB to do the work for you. It's probably easier to talk this issue through, one on one, if you would prefer to take this discussion off-line and we can talk it over. The solution is actually quite straightforward but describing (within a Q&A forum context like this one) how it's done is a bit "tricky", if you get my meaning.

maspegren wrote: I am looking for a way to block all users under a certain age from certain forum posts.

The short answer to this question is that you cannot block access to certain posts (i.e. messages posted within a topic) - for that is the subject of this topic - but you can restrict access to categories of topics.

More
10 years 2 months ago #7 by maspegren
I completely understand, thank you for taking your time with me :)

1. True
2. True

I submitted a question to the Joomapolis forum about CBSubs, hopefully I'll hear something back this week.

Talking over a solution is fine. I am unable to do Skype though since I do not have a camera or a microphone on my computer. How would you like to continue.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled

maspegren wrote: Talking over a solution is fine. I am unable to do Skype though since I do not have a camera or a microphone on my computer. How would you like to continue.

Skype is the only way I operate. It's a bit difficult to do without you having a microphone but, as long as you're a fast typist, I can talk, you can listen and reply as quickly as you can.

It's my guess that it would take about an hour to talk over, for me to give you the general direction, and for you to apply the solution. Contact me by email (my email address is on the team page ). That's how I would suggest we proceed.

More
10 years 2 months ago #9 by maspegren
I actually found a Community Builder plugin that does EXACTLY what I needed. It is called Auto Action and it allows you to define something that happens (like assigning a user to an access level) at a certain point in time (like at registration completion) based on a certain registration field (like a radio button that asks if they are under 13). Thanks for the access level change idea!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
10 years 2 months ago #10 by sozzled
I think this is the extension referred to in the previous message: CB Auto Actions 4.0 .

Note: This is a commercial product.

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds