Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for discussing issues with the K 3.0 Blue Eagle template.

As general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

We do not answer questions about other templates for Kunena here.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question Add Text Block Between Category Description And Post List

More
10 years 4 months ago #1 by NLM
Hi!

I am using the Blue Eagle template and am trying to make some small modifications to it. I have created some HTML overrides in my site template html folder by duplicating some of the folders in the Blue Eagle html folder but can't figure out which file(s) I need to modify to add a simple inline text block after the Category Description and before the posts list. I would like this text to be visible both in the home view and the single category view. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 750M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : yoo_downtown | author: YOOtheme | version: 1.0.8 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.3 | creationdate: 2013-10-20

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.3 | 2013-10-20 [ Bifrost ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: CommunityBuilder 1.4

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, NLM, and welcome to the community.

There are a couple of ways that you can add some extra text to your Kunena forum pages. One way is to use a Joomla module to display this custom text - that's how I would go about doing it - as long as you can find a module position on the page for it. Certainly you could modify the PHP source code to add an extra module position in the exact spot on the page where you want a module to be displayed. You could also literally add the text to your template.

You might try using one of the existing module positions. To find out more about the module positions available in Kunena, see Module Positions in the Wiki.

More
10 years 4 months ago #3 by NLM
Hi sozzled,

Thank you for the quick reply and it's great to be here. I didn't realize that Kunena had so many choices for built-in module positions. That's a great feature! Unfortunately using one of them would move the content I need to insert out of the Category Title and Description flow, which is really the best place for it. I would be pleased if I could place styled content in the category description field, but that field won't display it correctly.

If possible, I would like to slightly modify the php files of the component using an html override. I have done so with several extensions, but I am struggling with this one as all files in the views/tmpl folder are not actually the files rendering the component. I'm certainly no programmer, but I was able to add some content above the category title or below the posts list by overriding the html/categories/default.php file. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in adding anything to the section I am looking to edit. I've attempted overriding and editing pretty well every file in the blue_eagle/html/misc_folders directories, all with no luck. If there is any direction on which file(s) I need to override, I would be grateful.

Thanks again,

Steve

More
10 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled
G'day again, Steve. I wish I could assist you better, mate, but my expertise lies not so much in PHP development work for Kunena but rather in handling the routine questions that come our way when people have difficulties using the product or simple things like quick CSS "hacks". Perhaps there is another member of the community who has more intimate knowledge of how all the PHP source code interoperates in K 3.0 who can assist you better.

Inasmuch as everyone has their own preference for how we desire our webpages to look, my approach is generally the keep-it-simple one. Several years ago I used to roll up my sleeves and dive headlong into custom software programming usually to find that I'd made a rod for my own back and the task of maintaining the custom tweaks outweighed the cost of upgrading to the next improved version of the base product. (Haven't we all been there before?)

Anyway, I would love to tell you exactly which file does what (and I would dearly love to see this information in the Wiki, except that such information tends to become out of date very quickly), but you're heading off into unchartered territory on your own without much of a map to guide you ... unless, of course, a more experienced "navigator" comes along and can point you in a better direction than me telling you "it's out there somewhere". :laugh:

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NLM

More
10 years 4 months ago #5 by NLM
Hi sozzled,

Thanks again for the help you've been and the time you've taken. You pointed out some helpful features I was unaware of. Personally, I share your philosophy of keeping it simple. Unfortunately, it's not the nature of the organization I work for, who wants it "this way" and "right now". :-/

If anyone could point me in the right direction for the file that renders the category title and description, I would be glad for the assist.

Thanks,

Steve

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds