Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category contains miscellaneous, uncategorised user contributions, (templates, modules, plugins and hacks) relating to older versions of Kunena that are no longer supported.

The topics in this category are for historical interest only. Owing to the structural changes that occurred in K 2.0, many of the ideas in these topics will not work with later versions and, for that reason, the topics are locked.

Question Provide a way to control the Categories from the Front-end, without giving access to the Admin area of the component

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #1 by adricist
Hi all,

I need to provide a way to control the Categories from the Front-end, without giving access to the Admin area of the Component. I have managed to do this and I can write the new Category record to the kunena_categories table, and also assign the new category to the correct parent id. When I check the newly created record versus an existing one in MySQL they look identical, however the newly created one does not show in the Forums. If however I log in the Admin back-end and access any categories (not necessarily the newly created one), upon exiting and even if I have do not make any changes, the newly created category starts to show!

Can somebody explain what other procedure is happening in the background that is causing the category record to start showing? I am assuming that some other fields/flag is set in some other table during a procedure that includes a reordering step.

If I know what this is I can set this flag as well in my PHP code when I create the Category.

Thank you in advance,
Adri
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change subject and topic icon; relocate topic in another category

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

You need to publish the categories, if you don't let admin access to somebody else. What do you want do ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #3 by adricist
hi xillibit,

And thank you for your reply. I am definitely publishing the Category, but this does not seem to work or be my issue.

As I said earlier, the newly created Category via my PHP code looks identical in every field to the ones already there and working correctly, but for some strange reason it does not show in the forums view.

The only other thing I am doing is to manage the Ordering number manually. I basically edit all the existing categories by adding a zero to their current number. This allows me to have a 10 digit gap between each category. When adding a new category I allow the user to insert a value between the the 2 existing categories where they want this new one to fit.

I have not attached the PHPMyAdmin screen shot, but the categories records are identical in all the fields values. It almost seems as if there should be a Total Count of Categories field in the Parent Category that gets updated through the reordering procedure once you go in and out from the back end and recounts the number and allows for the display of the correct number of records. But when I check, I do not see any such a field that keeps count of this values.

Does this explains better what I am trying to do? Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. I would really like to resolve this as it cannot be anything too complicated!

Thank you in advance,
Adri
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by adricist.

More
11 years 9 months ago #4 by adricist
I forgot to add that when I go inside any of the records of Categories from the Kunena Back-End and then go out, even without saving, Kunena reorders the Categories from 1 to xx. It is during this reordering process that something happens that makes the Category I have created from the front end begin to work! If I can understand what this is, I can add it to my initial php saving procedure and all would work perfectly! Additionally, I might also like to modify this Kunena style reordering so that even Kunena would leave the 10 increments gap between each reordered category record. But this is not as important.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Adri

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds