Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Plugin developer documentation?

More
13 years 11 months ago #1 by Dannymh
Hi,

I am interested in writing a few plugins for my Kunena and for greater release, as such I want to follow any specific coding standards and API hooks that you have created for plugins on Kunena.

I havent been able to find any documentation and was hoping that someone could point me towards any API information or similar.

Also is it possible to write standard Joomla plugins with their standard hooks that will effect the Kunena system?

Ideally I would like to see some hooks that I can manipulate through plugins to say load on the forums page o I can alter whether something is shown etc. For instance I want to write a plugin that would effect whether a forum is shown on the front page, dependent on criteria I set in the plugin.

i.e. Writing some further "private forum code" I can do this by directly altering the system but would prefer to do it through plugins that wont affect upgrades etc.

Cheers
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

With kunena 1.6.0 there is an API whereas in Kunena 1.5.0 there are no API so it's more complicated to do things, but you haven't wrote a documentation because some things can change.

I advise you to wait the release of kunena 1.6.0 before to do something, with kunena 1.6.0 we will provide some modules/plugins.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by Dannymh
having said you havent written documentation, does this mean there will not be documentation or simply it has not been written yet?

Also is there any basic ETA's so I can make decisions about which way to go with either moving to Vbulletin or waiting it out?

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by xillibit
The documentation hasn't wrote yet, it will be done in the future.

I can say that the alpha of k1.6 is on the road and it will be released soon.

More
13 years 10 months ago #5 by Dannymh
Awesome thanks.

I have somewhat cleaned up or changed the migration script from SMF 1.1.x to Kunena and changed it so that it will allow large forum migrations as well as allow apostrophe's etc into the DB.

I will now work on cleaning up it's HTML entities and cleaning up the script more. Waiting for 1.6 gives me time to do this.

Will the API allow for a Joomla style plugin system, i.e. calls that effect output like the onBeforeContentDisplay() etc.

The reason I ask, is that doing so will allow me to leverage such calls for display of forums, etc and allow for tighter security without having to change core Kunena code

More
13 years 5 hours ago #6 by Jacquesvw
I'm also interested in knowing how the kunena plugin system works. Have any docs been written or is there a starter kit for plugin creation maybe?

More
13 years 3 hours ago #7 by xillibit

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #8 by Jacquesvw

xillibit wrote: You can found some docs here : docs.kunena.org/index.php/How_to_use_Kunena_1.6_API and docs.kunena.org/index.php/Kunena_1.6_API

Thanks, have seen those. I have no idea how kunena's plugins work though and was hoping someone had some sample code I can look at.

I was also wondering how will I be able to detect when a new message has been posted? I would like to make a badword filter and when a post has been made some function needs to be triggered so that the text in the post can be cleaned of bad words in an array or whatever.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Jacquesvw.

More
12 years 11 months ago #9 by sozzled
Kunena software is all "open source". If you want "sample code" then you can examine the code in the existing software (e.g. the Kunena Discuss plug-in, as one example).

To be honest with you, I don't know how to detect when a new message has been posted and I don't know how knowing this will help. Maybe one of the members of the development team can explain it to you.

I suppose the "bad words" filtering could be applied either when the message was submitted or when the message was displayed. The choice is yours. I would do the filtering at the time when you're displaying the message, not at the time when the message was posted. Tough one to call. :unsure:

More
12 years 11 months ago #10 by Jacquesvw
Hi sozzled,

My plugin is now able to determine when the user is submitting a message, so I'm on the right track.

My idea is to retrieve the message id the moment the user posts something. Then look (select) for that message in the database and filter out all the words and replace with something like ******. After the changes has been made place back (update) into the database.

The reason I'm not doing this during the viewing of messages is because I want the plugin not to waste resources, because if this was done during viewing the filtering part of the plugin will be executed for every user that visits that topic and since the word has been permanently removed there is no point.

Another route is for the plugin to make no changes to data and only to hide the badword from the user... this will require execution on every visit.

My needs are for removing the word permanently from the database, but I would like to know the opinions and ideas of others... maybe I should start a topic just for this?

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds