Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question [JomSocial activity stream] text limiter

More
14 years 2 months ago #1 by klp29
I absolutely LOVE the new activity stream of JomSocial 1.6 and the way Kunena now inserts both posts and images in the stream.

It has given out site much more focus on our forum so a million thanks to the ones who made it!!!!

I would, though, like to suggest what I see as a very important addition: a text limiter.

Our users write diaries about their wedding planning in forum, so they often write very long posts.

As for now, Kunena places the complete post in activitystream, often breaking the layout of our site because 15 posts from forum can easily be much, much too long to fit our site.

Doing this would have what I concider to be a positive sideeffect: it teases :) By not showing it all, you "tease" the users, making them go more often to the forum to read the rest, ie. boosts the traffic of the forum :)

I'm not a programmer, so I'm sorry to say that I'm not skilled enough to do this, but from a similar experience with jReviews / JomSocial activity stream, it seems to me that it's not impossible to hack the routine.

Can someone please tell me how to limit the amount of text to, say, 250 chars, followed by a "...read more" ? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #2 by dyvel
I'll vote for such an option as the plugin is useless to me without a limiter...

More
14 years 2 months ago #3 by woonydanny
yeah i vote for this as well :)

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
14 years 2 months ago #4 by JerryLeeLewis
i ask this in another Thread too

because a - readmore - can bring to the latest Post of Forum too not everytime to the first Post

i hope we will get a solution than this 2 Components works perfect together i think ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #5 by drjjw2

More
14 years 2 months ago #6 by JBMoney
How do I turn this off, and retain the rest of the Kunena/Jomsocial integration?

Having entire posts displayed there is unacceptable.

Thanks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #7 by EOLGeorge
I vote for this too.

G

More
14 years 2 months ago #8 by 1001notte
Absolutely necessary option!

More
14 years 2 months ago #9 by klp29
I hereby donate 100 dollars in cash (paid via PayPal) for this solution for the next 8 days.

We need to be able to set a max lenth, so the text ends with a ".... read more" or something like that.

Also, links needs to be seperate from this, so they don't get cut off :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #10 by xillibit
Hello,

I have a way with a little of hacking, open the file components\com_kunena\template\default\post.php and at line 265 add just this part of code, like you see you can change the number allowed for an new entry for the JS activity stream :) :
Code:
$nbrWordMax = '50'; //Define the maximum words allowed in the post $NewString = ''; $t_newString = explode(" ",$message); foreach ($t_newString as $key => $word) { if ($key < $nbrWordMax) { $Newmessage .= $word.' '; } } $message = $Newmessage;

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds