Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Groups plugin

More
12 years 6 months ago #1 by Acapulco Kevin
Groups plugin was created by Acapulco Kevin
I am using the latest 1.7 installation of Kunena and on the same page you have a download for Jomsocial Groups. The issue is... It does not seem to work and might possibly be causing issues on my site.

I have even disabled the Joomla walls function and the plugin still wont function.

I am using Joomla 1.7, Kunena for joomla 1.7, and I downloaded and installed the Jomsocial plugin for Kunena Groups on the same page I downloaded kunena.

What does it take to actually make this work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #2 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Re: Groups plugin
Hello,

What is exactly your issue ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
12 years 6 months ago #3 by Acapulco Kevin
Replied by Acapulco Kevin on topic Re: Groups plugin
I can only get it to create the forum topic for the new group that is created... It posts no messages to the forum. I really would like this plugin to work.... There is no documentation that i an find....

More
12 years 6 months ago #4 by xillibit
This plugin is actually a proof of concept, it create new categories on Kunena when you create a new discussion in a Jomsocial group but nothing else

More
12 years 6 months ago #5 by Acapulco Kevin
Well if it does nothing except that and does not have documentation - thus confusing everyone in the world...

Is it really a good idea to offer dysfunctional plugins on your site?
I like Kunena, I like your forum - I strongly dislike confusing and dysfunctional.

More
12 years 6 months ago #6 by xillibit
I think that we have already wrote plenty of things on the subject

Jomsocial need to improve his API to let us to do messages related stuff with this plugin...

More
12 years 5 months ago #7 by trodebac28
Replied by trodebac28 on topic Re: Groups plugin
In case you're interested, we've developed a commercial tool that integrates JomSocial group discussions with the Kunena Forum: JS G-KUNENA .

It works with Joomla! 1.5 & 1.7; Kunena 1.5, 1.6 & 1.7; and JomSocial 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 & 2.2.

It includes automatic forum creation, automatic forum subscription for group members, and a JomSocial-Kunena toolbar. It does not handle member access rights to the forums because of ACL limitations that are not in our hands (they depend on Joomla!, Kunena and JomSocial).

As mentioned before by xillibit, Jomsocial needs to improve his API to easily integrate these two products. That's a fact. It'd need, for example, improved plugin management to be able to replace the default JomSocial group discussions behaviour by that of Kunena. In the meantime, you can use JS G-KUNENA , that handles the substitution of up to 5 JomSocial template files for each template, for the given versions.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8 by Acapulco Kevin
Thanks for the offer. I have already seen your plugin and it is really more of a Kunena core hack.

I am using Kunena 1.7.1-DEV modified by Matias to work on my site. It works perfectly.

A plugin / code hack with no ACL control for private groups is meaningless especially when it costs $45 for a few lines of code.

While I don't agree with Xilibit offering a worthless "proof of concept" plugin on his downloads page - at least I know they are thinking about it and will eventually come out with a product that does not require hacking their forum code.

Good luck to you on your advertising campaign.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #9 by trodebac28
Replied by trodebac28 on topic Re: Groups plugin
Hi Acapulco,

Well indeed it's more like a JomSocial template hack, not a Kunena core hacked as you called it. Starting with Kunena 1.6 and its new event when a new post is made, we don't touch a single line of the Kunena code (we don't need to, starting with Kunena 1.6 we can use a system plugin instead).

About ACL control, Joomla uses its own, Kunena modifies it a little, and so does JomSocial. There's nothing we can do about it. Unless Kunena and JomSocial handle ACL in the same manner or integrate each other at this point, it'll very hard to limit Kunena forum access to JomSocial group members (and it's not in our hands, I'm sorry).

We have developed this product because we need it ourselves in the first place. Once JomSocial Group discussions and Kunena Forums integrates with each other out of the box, we'll be more than happy to use it. Believe me, we don't like hacking JomSocial template files either. And as I told you before, we don't hack a single line in the Kunena code.

The advertising campaign, as you called it, is because some people in this forum may find the product useful for their purposes. If it is, we can help you. Just to let you know.

Kind regards.

PD: it doesn't cost $45, it costs 24.95€. And it is not a few lines of code. It includes 204 files, a Joomla! component, three Joomla! plugins, and it handles three new DB tables. Not a few lines of code.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by trodebac28.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds