Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question How to get our language listed here?

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by riaaneloff
Hi all,

I'm part of a community of people who frequent a site called www.praat-afrikaans.co.za where Afrikaans-speaking people gather and chat. A few of us decided to translate Kunena into Afrikaans, and we're about to start using it on that site.

Yet. we're sure there are many people out there who may also need this, so we would like to know the procedure for getting our translation listed here, and make sure all the i's have been dotted and the t's have been crossed.

Could anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2 by GoremanX
I think this should answer all your questions, including how to publish the translation and possibly having it included as part of Kunena in the future:
docs.kunena.org/index.php/Translating_Kunena

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #3 by Adriaan
I am using Kunena on a similar community website called www.netportaal.com .

I have added my translations directly into the en-GB file, and I attach it for your information. My goal is to complete this translation, and finish off all the other requirements before compiling the .zip file and testing that it works on my site. Then I will send it forth to the translator community here at Kunena so that it can be distributed more easily.

File Attachment:

File Name: en-GB.com_....ini.zip
File Size:17 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by Adriaan.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #4 by riaaneloff
Hi Adriaan,

I also have a complete translation. It was done by members of the Praat Afrikaans community ( www.praat-afrikaans.co.za and www.facebook.com/praat.afrikaans ). They all translated using notepad, but even so, the sile does not "automatically" work correctly. What I do is open it in Dreamweaver, and then correct any syntax errors etc, untill the file works. I have already done this with their translation of CB, but have simply not had time to get to the Kunena one yet.

If you haven't gone too far in the Kunena file yet, maybe I should upload the ones I have, and instead of translating them, you could just check them via Dreamweaver?

Cheers

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #5 by Adriaan
Hi Riaan,

Please feel free to go ahead uploading your translations. If I have time I will have a look at it!

I have to add that I prefer my own translations though. It's translated more conservatively, making use of more archaic words, applying unused words to modern concepts, which may not be accepted by everyone. By conservative I mean to stick to strictly Afrikaans words, as opposed to the modern habit of using English words either directly or translating them directly - to me a more "liberal" approach. I see you even translated "e-mail" as "vonkpos" - something even I did not have the courage to do, given the resistance from the Afrikaans community to accept that neologism. A while back I proposed to the Afrikaans Wikipedia community to replace all instances of "e-pos" with "vonkpos" and my proposition was vehemently opposed. I thank you for your courage in the face of possible opposition or even misunderstanding (by your users). If you upload your version I may have somewhat to learn from it and use it to complete my translation, but I think I will stick to my own main translations and may release it independently then in the future.

But before I move too far off-topic, I need to emphasize that you should upload your version of the translation and then I may check it when I have time. I am lways willing to help the cause of Afrikaans on the internet.

Just one thing: I don't have Dreamweaver (the last time I checked it was prohibitively costly - I have already spent close to R1 000 on the NetPortaal project - www.netportaal.com and can't seem to get enough revenue through advertising to justify any further investment -over one year I've only earned R20 through Adsense). So I edited my language file directly through the web interface of the server on which my website is hosted. Many times I have corrupted the file as well, mostly because I used Afrikaans punctuation like ê, é and ï which the system does not accept for some reason. To solve this I had to use HTML codes (or ASCII codes or whatever they are called) to represent these punctuation marks (in fact they are unique characters in these code languages).

If I check your file I will also edit it in Notepad and test it by uploading it to my own server (on a test website, of course). Usually the Kunena interface tells you on which line the mistake lies and then you can gradually work through the entire file to eliminate all problems. This is a very tedious process - took me a week or so the last time I ruined the file. but if your file isn't too broken then it won't be a problem to have a look at it.
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by Adriaan.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6 by kmilos
There are plenty of free and open text editors that do syntax highlighting, try e.g. Notepad2, Notepad++, SciTE, etc.:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

If you need a pneumatic hammer (Dreamweaver) to drive a simple nail, you know something is not right. ;)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #7 by riaaneloff
Hi kmilos, thatnx for the tip, I'll have a look into that for myself also, as several folks often help with translations, and they don't all have dreamweaver.

Adriaan,

Will upload soonest. Haven't been able to dedicate time to getting to this issue yet.

I am most certainly very much in favour of the "vonkpos" instead of "e-pos". I use it as a standard on www.praat-afrikaans, and also on www.facebook.com/praat.afrikaans - the facebook page has 52000 followers, which is quite nice, and that community is developing and growing.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds