Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Please note: The Kunena project team takes NO responsibility for maintaining nor supporting anything in this category.

Solved Sending emails when someone quotes on a post

More
10 years 5 months ago #1 by perryworld
Hi,

We have recently upgraded to 3.0 and really like it but we have a question.

When we were running under 2.5 we asked the question here :
www.kunena.org/forum/159-K-17-Common-Que...nding-email-on-quote

We want to make the same change in 3.0 but the file mentioned in the above link is no longer there. Could you point us to the file where it sends an email to subscribed users so we can make the changes.

Many Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled

perryworld wrote: We want to make the same change in 3.0 but the file mentioned in the above link is no longer there. Could you point us to the file where it sends an email to subscribed users so we can make the changes.

Are you saying that you developed a solution in K 1.6 (or K 1.7 or K 2.0) to the "user tagging" question that several people have asked about? :huh:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3 by perryworld
Hi Sozzled,

It was a bit of a hack that the users required.
We set everyone to be subscribed to the topic but then when anybody "Quoted" on a post we intercepted the sending of the email to everybody, found out the userid of the post being quoted upon and then just sent the email to that user.
This was a requirement so if anyone quoted on a post just the user quoted upon would be informed.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Rich

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled

perryworld wrote: We set everyone to be subscribed to the topic ...

This means that, in any event, everyone receives email notifying them of the fact that someone has posted a message to that topic, doesn't it?

perryworld wrote: ... but when anybody "Quoted" on a post we intercepted the sending of the email to everybody, found out the userid of the post being quoted upon and just send the email to that user.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. If someone uses the QUOTE button to reply to a topic then everyone who is subscribed to the topic will not receive an email except for one person. Is that right?

So, let's say I subscribe to a category and I do this because I want to be notified of all new messages posted into that category. In your situation, any time someone uses this "quoting" - perhaps a better term is "user-tagging" - feature that you developed, I would not get an email unless someone was "quoting" something that I had posted. Is that the way you changed it around?

This (kind of) defeats the purpose of subscriptions, doesn't it? Perhaps I have misunderstood the method you've used. The reason that I am asking for how you went about doing this is on behalf of the many other users of this community who would eagerly like to know how you've tackled the issue of user-tagging. If, however, the strategy you've used is as difficult to understand for others as it is difficult for me to understand, then I don't quite know how we're going to tackle this matter.

The solution, as you've described above, is to
a) have all your users subscribed to one topic; and
b) hack K 3.0 (in a manner that you devised back in the days of K 1.6) somehow.

As you see, I have a few questions (not the least of which are how did you set everyone to be subscribed to a topic and what happens if someone unsubscribes themselves?) ...

Getting back to your question: the code was substantially rewritten from what it looked like in K 1.6/1.7 when you developed your hack. There were also many more changes made in K 2.0 (although, perhaps, those changes may not have impacted on your hacks) but this also assumes that you remembered to reapply your hacks every time you upgraded ...unless you haven't upgraded Kunena for 2 years? :dry: That's the problem with hacks, isn't it? Hacks put people into a perpetual maintenance cycle every time there's a new software release. In the past two years there have been about one quarter of a million lines of Kunena source code that have been reviewed/revised/replaced/optimised or however one might care to describe it. These revisions were made necessary not only to improve the quality and feature set but also because of how Joomla continues to evolve.

I am not a developer (I'm just a user like everyone else here) although I have picked up a little information in my time. ;) I'm not sure I can tell you what happened to the file in K 1.6 that used to be called lib/kunena.posting.class.php. Sorry, I don't know. Maybe the file was moved to another folder in K 3.0? It's possible that the functions in that file were absorbed and incorporated elsewhere when the code was rewritten so as to make Kunena compatible with J! 3.x? I don't know; that's outside my "job description". Perhaps someone else, with a similar interest to yours can help. In the meantime I'm subscribing myself to this topic because I'm interested in learning more about user-tagging solutions.

More
10 years 5 months ago #5 by perryworld
Hi Sozzled,

Thanks for your response - I will have a look around to see if I can find the file to apply the hack in.
I will post here when I find the solution.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers
Rich

More
10 years 5 months ago #6 by perryworld
Hi,

We are struggling to find where the email is sent to subscribed users when someone quotes on a post.

It used to be in a file called lib/kunena.posting.class.php but as Sozzled pointed out the new version has replaced this file.

Can anyone point us to the file which sends the emails

Thanks
Rich

More
10 years 5 months ago #7 by perryworld
Hi Guys,

Can anyone point us to the file where the emails are sent to those users who have subscribed to a post. Can't find it in the new 3.0 code.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers
Rich

More
10 years 5 months ago #8 by perryworld
Replied by perryworld on topic Kunena 3.0 upgrade
Hi

We upgraded to version 3.0 but are looking to find this file lib/kunena.posting.class.php which no longer exists. Does anyone know where the emailing subscribers code now resides as we need to make some minor changes but can't seem to find it.
We thought it was in the topic.php but are not sure if that is the right place.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
Rich

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #9 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena 3.0 upgrade
Msg #8, posted as a separate topic, relates directly to this topic. perryword's, newly-created separate topic (msg #8 above) is merged here because it replates to the purpose of why it is important for perryworld to find the answer to his question. The subject chose for msg #8 ("Kunena 3.0 upgrade") does not clearly describe that purpose.

*** Topics merged ***

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #10 by perryworld
Hi

We are really struggling to find where emails are sent when someone replies to a post.

The only place we have found a send() is in com_kunena\controllers\Topic.php - does anyone know if this is the correct place?

Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks
Rich
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Subject changed to improve relevance in searches

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds