Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved Throttle Email Notifications

More
2 years 9 months ago #1 by DaveOzric
Hello, I looked in the docs and forum but don't see anything about this. I know you can subscribe to the entire forum because I do it on a Joomla site using Kunena and get emails for all posts.

My question is how do you not trigger server email limits sending out this many emails? My hosting only allows 300 emails per hour.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Throttle Email Notifications
Go  to the Kunena configuration (tab) User, and add on "E-mail to Multiple Recipients" a value.

More
2 years 9 months ago #3 by DaveOzric
Hello, I don't have Kunena installed and am not currently using it. I am researching for a project. Your response does not really answer my question. Are you are saying I can send out a single email to all 600 people?

E.g. If you have 600 people subscribed to all posts on the forum can you set the system to only send out 300 emails per hour.

Thank you

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #4 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Throttle Email Notifications
I think, you've understood it correct. This is the quote from this setting: 

E-mail to Multiple Recipients - If value > 1, send a single subscription e-mail to multiple recipients. Using relatively large value prevents your site from sending too many e-mails if your web host limits the amount of e-mails per second or per hour. Larger value also improves performance as less e-mails needs to be sent.

Is it in principle the same, when you write a mail on your PC and you enter more than one address. You send only one mail, but this mail goes to all entered addresses.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by rich.

More
2 years 9 months ago #5 by ruud
Replied by ruud on topic Throttle Email Notifications
Short answer: this is not possible
As Rich pointed out you can sent e.g. 10 the same emails to 10 users or Configure Kunena to sent 1 email to 10 users by setting these users as BCC)
That said: on an active forum there is still the possibility that there will be more then 300 updates per hour (in your case), also do not forget other extensions on your server that sent out mail: transactional email (like forgot password, reset user, subscribe), office mail sent via that server, mailings sent via that domain...

The underlying issue here is that the queue for the emails is not on joomla but on your server, so there is no way for e.g. kunena to know how many mails where sent in total in that hour.

This is not a specific Kunena challenge but all extensions that sent email face this 'issue'

sharing = caring

More
2 years 9 months ago #6 by DaveOzric
Thank you, I am looking at other hosting too.

Much appreciated.

More
2 years 9 months ago #7 by ruud
Replied by ruud on topic Throttle Email Notifications
You can also look at dedicated mail providers (like mailgun but there are a lot more), or step away from shared hosting and go for a VPS (make sure you select a VPS provider that allows sending of bulk mails).

sharing = caring

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds