Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved Two Sites using One Database?

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1 by Burly Nerd
The way this particular Joomla! site is set up, the database server is on a different server at the same host. I am considering setting up a second Joomla! site, at the same host, but pointing to the same MySQL database.

The idea is that both Joomla! sites will have the full set of Forums available, but each of them will send visitors to a different forum, when they first arrive. I don't want visitors to have to register twice.

They are both sites about the same community, but one site is focused on government issues, while the other is focused on entertainment and food. All of the Kunena settings will be kept identical on each site.

As an alternative, I am considering setting up the forums on their own, single site, and sending visitors to that, from the other two sites. I will simply have to set up an intuitive way for them to return to their original site, if I do that.

Do you see any major problems with doing this? I plan to start building this tomorrow, so I would appreciate any forewarnings that may prevent me from wasting my time.

Thanks in advance, for any constructive comments.

BN
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Burly Nerd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled

Burly Nerd wrote: Do you see any major problems with doing this?

Your idea should theoretically work however there is the potential if two sets of SQL transactions hit the database at exactly the same time, that some database updates might be transacted out of sequence and, because MySQL is not an transactional database, there's no roll-back facility. But, theoretically, it should work.

I remember—a few years ago—running a couple of sites that shared the same database and I didn't encounter any errors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Burly Nerd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds