Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Possible Attack on Kunena Forum

More
8 years 1 hour ago #1 by Graschki
Yesterday my hosted Virtual Server had a very high cpu load. I was very proud of myself to find the issue - I am a real Linux noob:
From varius Russian IPs came requests to
www.mydomain.de/forum/1-My-Kunenyforum-Name/administrator
which made on my server about 10 php5-cgi processes with heavy CPU load.

To solve the problem fast, I made a 301 Redirect on this URL to a Domain I don't use, and immediately the load was gone.

Is this a random test of a script kiddie or a possible attack on the Kunena Software?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

There are robots which scan all the web to check vulnerabilities or tries if some URL exists.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3 by Graschki
Yes, I believe that this were bots, too. But the strange thing is, that these requests were causing really heavy load. I had PHP processes running 1-2 minutes with 10-20% CPU, and 100 or more at the same time. I guess that somehow the Kunena Script was running longer than usual.

In the error log was:

[Mon Apr 25 23:57:28.771140 2016] [fcgid:warn] [pid 10130] [client 123.123.123.123:52069] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.de/httpdocs/components/com_kunena/template/default/template.xml" in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.de/httpdocs/libraries/kunena/template/template.php on line 142

(I changed IP and my domain)

More
7 years 11 months ago #4 by xillibit
On a webrowser if you try to access the template.xml from your Kunena template, are-you able to see it ?

More
7 years 11 months ago #5 by Graschki
indeed, this file - well the whole directory /default is missing. On the server and of course with the browser. But I am also missing it in the latest install.zip in the Download...

What should be in that directory?

More
7 years 11 months ago #6 by xillibit
Before the version 4.0.x of Kunena the template by default was on directory : /components/com_kunena/template/default/

Maybe you can prevent the access to xml files from all our joomla directory in the htaccess

More
7 years 11 months ago #7 by Graschki
well, if this file is "old", some of my Kunena scripts still expects that file there, and throws the error in the errorlog. It seems that I dont need to block that file, it doesn't exist anyway.

Solving this error in the errorlog is one thing, but can this be also the source of the heavy load? I just casually found this error because I was analyzing the reason for the CPU load.

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds