Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved Performance issues

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1 by dattard
Performance issues was created by dattard
Hi guys,

I'm running Kunena for a few years now. Using a SiteGround GoGeek account, so it's a shared account, but very optimized for performance. I've never run into any performance issues so far. I've always kept the site highly optimized for performance across the board as much as I could, and have always worked well so far.

Recently, I'm not aware of any changes, save for switching to https., I've been experiencing very slow generations times. Before they used to me 600ms (for normal Joomla pages), now they are 2.5seconds+ for EACH joomla page / hit. Even for pages where the forum is not hit. I'm measuring using GTMetrix.

I used to have memcache enabled across the board, and the guys at SiteGround where saying that Kunena was creatining serious issues and very slow times (even when it was not being hit), so I disabled memcache and just left Cache_Lite caching. I have an strace which I can attach and send, it's quite a large file so not sure whether I'll hit the upload limit.

File Attachment:

File Name: out.txt.zip
File Size:1,581 KB

Support conversation below:

I further investigated why this might be happening and as part of the investigation, I used the Linux strace utility to attach my console to the PHP process itself. The output can be found below (note that it is a 29MB text file and it might take some time to load):

dart-creations.com/out.txt

As you can see, the majority of the time taken by the script is actually communication between the script and the memcached service. There are 6,481 'sendto' instructions towards the memcache and 6,604 "recvfrom" instructions, from which 8,078 instructions are related to cache-com_kunena.

Adjusting the way the cache is being built and stored and the level of caching for the kunena extension will probably have positive effect on the website loading time. Additionally, removing or at least combining the two redirects at the beginning, would eliminate another second of loading time for the initial request.

Still the performance issues persist, so I'm trying to figure out why this problem is happening and whether it is stemming from Kunena or otherwise? Can I disable the forum without uninstalling? Not take it offline, but disable it.

Configuration report below:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 120 seconds | Max execution memory: 512M | Max file upload: 128M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : ja_magz | author: JoomlArt.com | version: 1.1.2 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 4.0.5 | creationdate: 2015-08-17

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 4.0.5 | 2015-08-17 [ Turnau ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef 4.6.0.2718

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by dattard. Reason: Added support conversation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #2 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Performance issues

Can I disable the forum without uninstalling? Not take it offline, but disable it.

Yes, it's possible. Go in backend to "Extensions -> Manage -> Manage" and search "Kunena". Mark all check boxes and click Disable.

More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by xillibit
Replied by xillibit on topic Performance issues

dattard wrote: Hi guys,

I'm running Kunena for a few years now. Using a SiteGround GoGeek account, so it's a shared account, but very optimized for performance. I've never run into any performance issues so far. I've always kept the site highly optimized for performance across the board as much as I could, and have always worked well so far.

Recently, I'm not aware of any changes, save for switching to https., I've been experiencing very slow generations times. Before they used to me 600ms (for normal Joomla pages), now they are 2.5seconds+ for EACH joomla page / hit. Even for pages where the forum is not hit. I'm measuring using GTMetrix.

Hello,

When you discovered slow generation times, do-you have installed others plugins into Joomla or changed settings on your hosting configuration panel ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds