Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Solved K 4.0.3: subscribed "by default" settings

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1 by sozzled
The new settings in K 4.0.3 are confusing — some of them are hidden away — and will surprise a lot of people. Look at the configuration setting:

Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Check Subscription Box = Yes | No

The initial, default value is Yes. What happens in K 4.0.3 if you change this to No? What is the purpose of this setting?

Well the answer to these questions will surprise you. The configuration setting has no purpose if you use the Crypsis template.

In another topic , the following question was asked:

halfman wrote: Hi, the subscribe checkbox is only checked in the fast reply form.

Even if I choose to don't check it automatically in the configuration it's not checked in the regular answer form but always checked in the fast answer form.

This was the developer's reply:

810 wrote: Did you change it on your profile?

Frontend - Profile - Edit - Forum Settings - Select subscription as default

Well, why would anyone expect to be looking at their individual profile settings, especially if they were used to using K 3.0 and they only recently upgraded to K 4.0?

By the same token, look at the setting user's profile Forum Settings » Select subscription as default = Yes. What does this setting do? Well, again, the answer will surprise you. This "personal" setting has no purpose if you are using the Blue Eagle template.

This is definitely a case of two different Kunenas operating here: we don't know which configuration settings or personal settings (or category settings) apply to which version of Kunena that people may be using. There are some settings that only work if people are using Crypsis; there are some settings that only work if people use Blue Eagle; there are some settings that do not matter which template you may be using and there are some settings that do not work at all. It is very confusing.

It would be helpful to know which settings apply to which implementation of Kunena. Unfortunately I don't think anyone has the time (or the interest) to spend on this activity.

Getting back to the new "default" setting in the user profile, according to that other topic I mentioned before, there is supposed to be a new global "default" setting in K 4.0.4. Oh well, another new configuration setting to learn about ... :whistle:

I have not been able to find the item in GitHub that refers to the work being done on this new feature. I will be looking forward to seeing how the implementation will be approached. It would nice if there were a few notes to explain how users and site administrators can manage topic subscriptions.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Changed subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by 810
there is no new feature, just a sql bugfix, there was set "1" as default, for new users, but if admin set the kunena setting to NO (0), the user still get checked. Now we have fixed that issue.

Its simple.

Admin can select the default option in the kunena config. If users want to change it, then they can change it on the profile settings.

More
8 years 8 months ago #3 by sozzled

810 wrote: Admin can select the default option in the kunena config. If users want to change it, then they can change it on the profile settings.

The configuration settings do not work. It depends on the implementation of Kunena.

If you use Crypsis, the forum configuration setting does not apply when you create a new topic or use the standard reply form. The personal profile setting overrides the forum configuration setting for the subscribe checkbox value.

If you use Blue Eagle, the personal setting does not apply. The forum configuration setting overrides the person profile setting for the subscribe checkbox value.

If you use Crypsis, neither the forum configuration setting nor the personal profile setting apply if you use the Quick Reply feature. The subscribe checkbox value is always turned on.

More
8 years 8 months ago #4 by 810
K4.0.4 should fixed this issue, just wait for the release.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #5 by sozzled

810 wrote: K4.0.4 should fixed this issue, just wait for the release.

What issue are you talking about? There are three issues here.

1) The forum configuration settings do not apply to Crypsis with the checkbox value for new topics and the standard reply. Will K 4.0.4 fix that issue?

2) The personal user profile settings do not apply to Blue Eagle with the checkbox value for new topics and the standard reply. Will K 4.0.4 fix that issue?

3) The personal profile settings do not apply in K 4.0.3 Crypsis with the checkbox value for the Quick Reply form. I know, from the other topic , that this issue is under consideration for K 4.0.4. Is this the "issue" you are referring to or are the matters in (1) and (2) above also under consideration?
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 8 months ago #6 by 810
1) Yes, fixed
2) Yes, fixed
3) Yes, fixed

More
8 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled
Can you please refer me to the GitHub item(s) that address these three issues?

In K 4.0.4 which setting need to be changed to enable or disable the checkbox value: the forum configuration setting or the personal profile setting?

I am still confused.

More
8 years 8 months ago #8 by 810
User choose is always first. You have 3 options

-1) Default (kunena config setting)
0) No
1) Yes

github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/3304

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled
I have a few people who have asked me this question and I want to be absolutely sure that I give them the correct information.

Is it true that, with K 4.0.4, the configuration setting Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Check Subscription Box serves no function? Is it your intention to remove this configuration setting or, at least, mark it in such a way as to indicate to site owners that it serves no purpose?
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 8 months ago #10 by 810
Like I said, user choose is first, config setting is second. As default value is the config setting on new users.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds