Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved Category Icon in kunena 4 [SOLVED]

More
8 years 10 months ago #11 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Category Icon in kunena 4
I received additional information from 810 that was missing in earlier posts in this topic. The additional information he gave me may explain how to implement a two-state category icon in K 4.0. I have not yet tested his advice.

When I have finished my tests, I will post the extra information to assist other members of the community who are as much in the dark as I was.

Until then, please do not close this topic. I am not yet 100% satisfied that this matter is truly "solved".
The following user(s) said Thank You: denisp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #12 by denisp
Replied by denisp on topic Category Icon in kunena 4
if there's an altenative solution, i'll wait for it!
thank you very much!!

More
8 years 10 months ago #13 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Category Icon in kunena 4

denisp wrote: yes, but this tutorial is about old versions of Kunena.
I don't see anything about the class of the new icon.

is this still valid?

thnak you

Paths for Kunena 4.0 added.
www.kunena.org/docs/Category_icons

More
8 years 10 months ago #14 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Category Icon in kunena 4

rich wrote:

denisp wrote: yes, but this tutorial is about old versions of Kunena.
I don't see anything about the class of the new icon.

is this still valid?

thnak you

Paths for Kunena 4.0 added.

Nice try, rich, but this tutorial now reads even worse than before.

At the beginning of the Wiki article , it states (in the definition), "Category icons have been a feature of Kunena from the very beginning. These icons serve as a two-state indicator on category indexes to show ..."

The article then goes on to describe how to replace the "default" images or add new .GIF images that operate with the Blue Eagle template. The article then mentions that the information has been updated for K 4.0 ... and that's where I have a problem with your update.

The information in the Wiki does not apply to K 4.0 as far as the Crypsis template is concerned. This vital piece of information is missing from your changes, rich.

This is what rich added:

Changing category icons in K 4.0 is simply a matter of replacing any or all of the files referred to below:

../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/icons/folder.png
../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/icons/folder_nonew.png
../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/icons/folder_sm.png
../components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/icons/folder_nonew_sm.png

That is not true. If you change these files (and only these files) you will not change the effect if you use the Crypsis template.

Unfortunately, because only the Kunena forum moderators have access to the Wiki, we cannot amend the user documentation or suggest changes to improve it. :(

More
8 years 10 months ago #15 by rich
The topic creator used blue eagle and only for that is this topic.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #16 by sozzled
@rich: I disagree with your interpretion of the subject.

The subject is "Category icon in Kunena 4". The topic is located in the K 4.0 General Questions category. There is no mention in the subject that the discussion is confined only to the Blue Eagle template. In fact, your colleague 810 has allowed the discussion to extend to all of K 4.0 (which therefore extends to the Crypsis template as well).

For these reasons, and for others too numerous to write here, I disagree with your assessment of the situation. I reaffirm my earlier position. Your recent changes in the Wiki do not make it clear that the information does not apply to all forms of K 4.0. Further, the Wiki provides no information about category icons and how they are controlled by the K 4.0 Category Manager. Sorry for disputing the matter but that's my assessment.

@denisp: I have yet to tested 810's advice. I will let everyone know what I discover.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #17 by sozzled
Update: there is more on this subject in the topic Custom icons for categories . The issues relating to custom category icons for K 4.0 are still not satisfactorily resolved and required further testing.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
7 years 7 months ago #18 by xristo
Replied by xristo on topic Category Icon in kunena 4

applehc wrote: Hello denisp,

Is very simple:

Nooooo, Page Not Found

Any new documentation on category-icon configuration in either of the 2 default Kunena templates? Perhaps somebody can copy-pasta the old stuff?

More
7 years 7 months ago #19 by xristo
Replied by xristo on topic Category Icon in kunena 4
Thank you Wayback Machine LOL

Category icons
Definition

Kunena 2.0

Location of Category Icons - K 1.6 Index view
Category icons have been a feature of Kunena from the very beginning[1]. These icons serve as a two-state indicator[2] on category indexes to show
(a) for a logged-in user[3], if any categories displayed on the index have unread posts;
(b) if there are categories on the index that have no new posts.
The location of the category icons is shown in the image at the right.
There are two standard[4] images installed by Kunena to indicate the above conditions:
CatFolder.png used to indication condition (a) above. The location of this file is ../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder.png[5].
CatFolder nonew.png used to indicate condition (b) above. The location of this file is ../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_nonew.png.
This concept also applies to sub-category icons, too, which resemble category icons but in miniature. The two standard images used by Kunena to indicate the corresponding conditions for sub-categories are ../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_sm.png and ../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_nonew_sm.png.
Specific categories may also be distinguished by the use of custom categories icons which are discussed later in this article.
How to change category icons

Kunena 1.6
Changing category icons in K 1.6 is simply a matter of replacing any or all of the files referred to below:
../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder.png
../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_nonew.png
../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_sm.png
../components/com_kunena/template/default/images/icons/folder_nonew_sm.png
Note: If you change these standard files for the Blue Eagle template then you will need to replace these files whenever you upgrade Kunena in future; this is because the Kunena upgrade replaces all "standard" files during the component installation procedure. If you want to preserve your changes so that they are unaffected by the Kunena upgrade procedure, then you will need to create your own Kunena template and place your modified category icons in the appropriate template folder. For further discussion about creating your own template, please see How to create a template for Kunena
Custom category icons

Kunena 2.0
As we discussed above, category icons can be customised: you can use different images for each category. As we noted earlier, these images act as a dual-state indicator[6] that show:
(a) if you are logged-in[3] and there are unread messages in the category; or
(b) if you logged-in[3] and there are no unread messages in the category.
This means that if you want to customise icons for each category, you need three separate images, one for each of the abovementioned states.
To illustrate this point, let us take three example images as follows:
36 on.gif for case (a); and
36 off.giffor case (b).
The general approach is to create two files: <catID>_on.gif and <catID>_off.gif (where <catID> is the forum category number) corresponding to the two states we've talked about. This same approach can also be extended to sub-Categories: likewise create two images <catID>_childsmall_on.gif and <catID>_childsmall_off.gif. Obviously you should design these images about half the height and width as the images for the parent category.
Let's take a more practical example. To find the <catID> for a category, use the Category Manager feature; column labelled ID is what you are looking for. Suppose you want to use a set of custom category icons for the category whose <catID> is 36. You need to create two images named 36_on.gif and 36_off.gif respectively for each of cases (a) and (b) above.
These custom images need to be uploaded to the folder ../media/kunena/category_images. Kunena 1.6
Because these are non-standard files, they will not be removed or replaced when you upgrade Kunena.
Category Images: PNG or GIF?

It is beyond the scope of this article to show users how to change the default operation of Kunena. In the current operating environment, the naming and format of images used for custom category icons must be same as we have discussed them in this article. This means that, if users want to use different filenames or file types they are free to do so but they need to make their own customised changes to PHP source code.
Some information about this matter is discussed in the forum topic K 1.6.x Category Images - PNG or GIF? and more details are given in forum topic Different Image For Each Category.
Notes

↑ A similar concept applies to K 1.0/K 1.5 but it is beyond the scope of this article to go into details. See the forum topic Options for Customizing Subforums.
↑ Prior to K 2.0, the icon acted as a tri-state indicator to show, on category indexes:
(a) for a logged-in user, if any categories displayed on the index have unread posts;
(b) for a logged-in user, those categories on the index that have no new posts; or
(c) if the user is not logged in. This third indicator was removed in K 2.0.
↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 When users are not logged-in to a site there is no way of knowing if there are new messages posted or not. Because of this the same image is used as the "there are no new posts" image when users are not logged-into the site
↑ There are no specific rules regarding the image sizes of category icons. People should choose category icons that blend well with the overall theme of the site. The standard category images are 32 x 32 px; the standard sub-category images are 12 x 12 px.
↑ The folder name refers to the "default" Kunena template used on the target installation
↑ A third, "logged-out" state existed prior to K 2.0. This third state used a technique involving files named <catID>_notlogin.gif but this feature was removed in K 2.0
Categories: Version 2.0Version 1.6Templates

Go Search
NAVIGATION
Main page
Kunena (by version)
Register
Community portal
Recent changes
Help
Toolbox
What links here
Related changes
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link
Interface Language
English
Español
Deutsch
Français
Nederlands
This page was last modified on 23 March 2013, at 03:45. This page has been accessed 9,273 times. Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds